XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Advice for cleaning XJ6 engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for cleaning XJ6 engine bay?

I've been steadily working to improve the outside appearance of my XJ6 but it's now time to tackle under the bonnet.

What items or areas do I need to make sure are covered up before I start spraying water and degreaser on the engine?

I know I need to cover the air intake at the front right to make sure water doesn't get into the air filter but what else should I be paying attention to?

Any tips or advice on cleaning the engine bay on an XJ6 specifically would be really appreciated.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Electronics and things under the bonnet can be troublesome if soaked in water, so put clingfilm over them before applying degreaser and washing it away. YOu can, of course, do the job with wipes and not use any rinse water. It might be better this way.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Received 13,186 Likes on 6,548 Posts

Hi sota35,

If you will please tell us the year and engine displacement of your XJ6 it will help us know how many sensors and other sensitive components might need to be protected from water, or if you should avoid water altogether. It's a great idea to add the year, model and engine info to your signature line so others don't have to ask in order to give the most accurate replies.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-19-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:21 AM

Thanks Don.

I have a 2004 XJ6 3.0 SE X350

Hopefully signature is displayed this time too.

Last edited by sota35; 08-20-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by sota35
I have a 2004 XJ6 3.0 SE X350
Hi sota35,

Your engine is an upgraded version of the Ford Duratec, and is therefore a very modern engine with lots and lots of sensors and electrical connections. Sensors include the Mass Air Flow Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Air Temperature Sensor, Oil Pressure Switch, Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Knock Sensors, and more.

The Front Power Distribution Fuse Box is in the front right corner of the engine bay, full of fuses and relays. While the Engine Control Module is inside the passenger compartment behind the glove box, its electrical connector passes through the bulkhead/firewall into the engine compartment and connects to the engine wiring harness below the cabin air microfilter housing. All six ignition coils and fuel injectors have electrical connectors.

There are several ground points in the engine bay and they are susceptible to corrosion. Since they are made up of aluminum components, the corrosion that forms is a very thin layer of aluminum oxide, which is an electrical insulator and can interfere with proper operation of the electrical and electronic circuits.

All that to say, there are so many connections, many of which are not easily accessed, that it seems inadvisable to spray water in your engine bay. It would be far better to clean what you can by hand with a product like Chemical Guys EcoSmart Waterless Wash or a mild solvent like Naptha, Mineral Spirits or paint-preparation degreaser. Apply with a spray bottle or sponge, avoiding electrical connectors, and use a long-bristled paintbrush and old toothbrush to reach areas between wires and pipes as well as crevices. You can remove the plastic engine covers and wash them with soap and water. Wipe everything down with soft cloths and allow to dry.

Follow up by treating all the plastic covers and rubber hoses with a good protectant like Chemical Guys "Black on Black" or "Silk Shine," or Meguiar's "Natural Shine."

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
Rogue Uncle (08-21-2017), Sean W (08-25-2017), Untitled (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a really good diy how to do a professional engine bay detailing on u-tube. Many of the DIY short videos use no or very little water.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue Uncle
I saw a really good diy how to do a professional engine bay detailing on u-tube. Many of the DIY short videos use no or very little water.
Hi Rogue Uncle,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro A Must and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM

Thanks Don

Great info.

Like Fraser suggested, it's probably smarter with all those electrics to keep water away from the engine bay and spend time with some wipes and rags.

I have a none-solvent degreaser (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD) that can be diluted right down and is still effective. So I'll give that a go with some rags.

Thanks for the advice and info.