XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Advice on Control arm quality replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 07:20 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Advice on Control arm quality replacements

Good Day All -

I need to replace the lower control arms on my 05 Super V8, 153 K. I've read threads and other forums comments about quality and steel/alloy vs aluminum etc., buy wanted to scan recent or long experience with such parts.

I am looking only for the lower control arms parts C2P24862 and C2P24861. Repair shop says the old arms have too much wear to just replace the bushings. I trust them. Front passenger side tire outer tread only is worn to the wear bars, all other tires are wearing normally.

As many know RockAuto has these for reasonable prices and they split up the offerings into
Economy -
URO Parts Brand ( about 120$ each) - these are steel alloy

Daily Driver -
Beck Arnley Brand (78$ each) - aware that BA is not a brand but a distributor of overstock parts? What one gets is a carp shoot - could be original, could be junk?)

MOOG - Listed as "professional" quality under Daily driver (About 170$ each) (all aluminum forged I think)

MEVOTECH - Listed as "Supreme" quality under the Daily Driver section (About 250$ each) - All Aluminum forged.

I'm sure there are other brands, EuroSpare, others, and Lemforder is the original manufacturer no? And as far as I can tell Lincoln LS lower arms don't match.

So - experiences with these aftermarket suspension parts? - I'm not really interested in cheaping out parts that are so critical to both the safety and enjoyment of the car UNLESS others real world experience says there is no reason to spend more. I do plan to keep the car and even if I did sell I'm not giving someone else a cheap repair.

Thanks.
Mike
05 Super V8 now 153K used as a daily driver

Old 09-20-2020, 09:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I use MOOG for everything if it is provided. MOOG is IMO a very good brand.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Repair shop says the old arms have too much wear to just replace the bushings. I trust them.
Hmm, but puzzled with that statement, because the front lower wishbones are aluminium forgings, (one straight arm and one "banana" arm). The only things that wear are the bushes ! The two arms are bolted together and the straight arm drops on to a balljoint taper on the hub carrier. The fron upper arm is also a forging, but the balljoiint is pressed into the apex of the "A" plus there are the usual trunnions at the base. Of course there is a balance to be struck between a simple swap-out old to new against the labour to press out old bushes and press in the new ones.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 855 Posts

The DEW98 arms are smaller than the ones in the 350s but they interchange. I remember pulling front arms out of a rear ended XJR to put in an STR.

Lemforder is OE but has been slacking on quality control for the better part of about a decade, some of their stuff is comically expensive. Eurospare is just a reseller like Shitpart is for Land Rovers, sometimes they have quality stuff and sometimes it's complete junk. URO is much the same. I'd take the risk on the BA at that price, it's just a piece of metal with some rubber on it.

Last edited by xalty; 09-20-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
The DEW98 arms are smaller than the ones in the 350s but they interchange. I remember pulling front arms out of a rear ended XJR to put in an STR.

Lemforder is OE but has been slacking on quality control for the better part of about a decade, some of their stuff is comically expensive. Eurospare is just a reseller like Shitpart is for Land Rovers, sometimes they have quality stuff and sometimes it's complete junk. URO is much the same. I'd take the risk on the BA at that price, it's just a piece of metal with some rubber on it.
What has been the issues with Lemforder's quality control recently?

Old 09-20-2020, 10:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Great timing! I need to replace the hydraulic bushings on the driver's side front lower forward control arm (Curved arm). I read on other threads that boiling water poured over the arm helps expand the aluminum & push the old/new bushings in easier.

Does anyone have experience replacing these bushings? I am debating buying the bushing, at risk of my car being out of service, or just buying a replacement arm with both bushes. I do not have a press of my own - some well equipped friends may have a press, but not experience with Jaguar parts. Input?

These bushings run ~$30-$50 each. (Part # C2C36029, or Lemforder 29783 01)
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/17920_...1__7_7-2978301

Alternately, the whole arms are available across a span of price points. Part # C2C39683. The Lemforder can be had at ~$250. Other brands between $70-$200. I would love to hear input on the other brands - hopefully there's cheaper Lemforder's available!
https://www.ebay.com/i/153752308662
Spoiler

Old 09-20-2020, 10:40 PM

One question for the experts - I see the S-Type arm (C2Z10052 / Lemforder 39676 01) is available for ~20% less than the XJ arm (C2C39683). I believe compatibility & pricing patterns are retained across the remaining suspension components. Could an expert verify?
XJ - $235 https://www.ebay.com/i/153752308662
S-Type - $195 https://www.ebay.com/itm/202811761000

Originally Posted by Vanden Nate
Alternately, the whole arms are available across a span of price points. Part # C2C39683. The Lemforder can be had at ~$250. Other brands between $70-$200. I would love to hear input on the other brands - hopefully there's cheaper Lemforder's available!
https://www.ebay.com/i/153752308662

Old 09-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 800 Likes on 672 Posts

An awful lot of the S-type suspension, as well as other parts will fit our XJ's, thats the good news.
As for quality German, & American parts Meyle as well as Lockheed's front lower control arms.
Were both made in China, the Meyle's were even engraved, Meyle- Germany.
But the stickers on the packaging said Made in China, W T F. ????????????????
Moog as well as Delco-premium, parts made by the same third party in China
Same with most of the rest of the suspension, as well as other parts.
Buy the name brand, pay a bit more for the better name, and hope for the best.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
Good Day All -

I need to replace the lower control arms on my 05 Super V8, 153 K. I've read threads and other forums comments about quality and steel/alloy vs aluminum etc., buy wanted to scan recent or long experience with such parts.

I am looking only for the lower control arms parts C2P24862 and C2P24861. Repair shop says the old arms have too much wear to just replace the bushings.
Mike, my plan is to buy BOTH the bushings I need as well as the Lemforder replacement arms, and return whichever parts go unused. The Lemforder arm you need can be had for $270, or the 3 bushings for ~$60. You could buy everything, attempt to rebush the original arm, and still have a backup if all else fails.

Arms:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...order-c2p24862
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-control-arm-lemforder-c2p24861

Bushes:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-control-arm-bushing-lemforder-c2c36866
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-suspension-control-arm-bushing-s-type-vanden-plas-xj8-xjr-super-v8-c2c004437

5% coupon code: TEAMFCPEURO
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Wingrider
An awful lot of the S-type suspension, as well as other parts will fit our XJ's, thats the good news.

Buy the name brand, pay a bit more for the better name, and hope for the best.
Good input. I ended up finding my Lemforder at $155 w/ 5% coupon. I'm ordering the bushes as well, so we'll see if I have success re-bushing or need to use the new arm. At this price, no reason to fiddle with aftermarket

Last edited by Vanden Nate; 09-21-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:57 PM

Hi Nate -

Thanks for the series of replies -

So at what site did you find the Lemforder's for $155

Old 09-22-2020, 06:22 PM

Hi Nate -

Thanks for the series of replies -

So at what site did you find the Lemforder's for $155
I bought the curved arm (front lower suspension, forwards arm, left/right reversible). I read that you need the straight arm that holds the shock (front lower suspension, rear arm,. NOT let/right reversible). That one is $270 w/ 5% coupon.

I chose 2 day shipping and it just arrived. Now - I'm debating whether to leave the old one on the car
​​​​​​
Arms:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...order-c2p24862
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...order-c2p24861

Bushes:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...order-c2c36866
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jag...r-v8-c2c004437

5% coupon code: TEAMFCPEURO
​​​​

Old 09-22-2020, 06:24 PM

Hello Mr. Mitchell -

Thanks for the reply! Your answer to my inquiry is interesting mainly because -

I had this problem diagnosed late 2019, continued to drive and then noticed my uneven tire wear.

First time I had diagnosed shop said order the lower control arm rearward front bushing C2C 36029 and the lower control arms C2P24861 and 2

Meaning - now that I understand more completely through your reply that the shop intended to press out the bushing in the wishbone arm part C2C39683,bush 36029) and replace the lower control straight parts 61 and 62.

Now they are saying, but not very clearly that I need to also order the wishbone as those were the entire parts that they suggested I get on RockAuto.

Now I really do have a HMMMMM

Thanks Again!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:33 PM

Meaning - now that I understand more completely through your reply that the shop intended to press out the bushing in the wishbone arm part C2C39683,bush 36029) and replace the lower control straight parts 61 and 62.

Now they are saying, but not very clearly that I need to also order the wishbone as those were the entire parts that they suggested I get on RockAuto.
Good luck! My understanding is - (1) S-Type parts are perfectly compatible and lower priced, and (2) every bushing can be replaced with a new component at significant savings compared to buying the whole arm. Sole exception is the small bushing on C2C39683. However, I do not have a press/dies, and bought the whole arm to save myself the labor

Old 09-22-2020, 06:54 PM

I just replied to Mr. Mitchell that the way the job was initially described to me, and which I did not understand b/c car guys wee not at all clear, was that I was to order the bushings for the curved arm and the straight lower controls (parts 61 and 62).

Finally as I have sorted everything out through my inquiry and the new job description, they do want me to buy the curved arms as well. You got the Lemforder's from the fcp-euro site?

Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM

Got it - Thanks again.!!

Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 PM

Let us know how it goes!

Old 09-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

I just replied to Mr. Mitchell that the way the job was initially described to me, and which I did not understand b/c car guys wee not at all clear, was that I was to order the bushings for the curved arm and the straight lower controls (parts 61 and 62).

Finally as I have sorted everything out through my inquiry and the new job description, they do want me to buy the curved arms as well. You got the Lemforder's from the fcp-euro site?
So what is their reason for buyiing the whole 'banana' arm rather than just swapping out the trunnion bush ?
Many shops are nervous of swapping bushes in aluminium components in case they crack whilst fitting. This is a real risk with the real lower wishbone, because it is an aluminium casting, not a forging like all the front arms.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 PM

I have not spoken with them again - but I went to another shop to get a second opinion, and as you mentioned in your initial reply to me, that there is a balance of cost between replacing the bushings and the cost of a new arm. So it's a wash - why not have both a new arm and bushing especially if one finds an agreeable price.

I took the advice of Vanden Nate and Wingrider - I bought the better Lemforder curved arms and the straight lower control arms from FCPEURO and got free shipping and 10% off the entire purchase which was 876$ after the discount.
curved arms original price was 164$
straight arms were 288 - a little pricey but for OE and only a few dollars more than some aftermarket stuff, I'm fine with that and happy I decided to go original.

I will post after the work is done and hopefully be enjoying the ride of my car as it was intended to be.

Thanks to all who replied to help - could not do it without you all.

Mike D

The following users liked this post:
Vanden Nate (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 01:53 AM

I took the advice of Vanden Nate and Wingrider - I bought the better Lemforder curved arms and the straight lower control arms from FCPEURO and got free shipping and 10% off the entire purchase which was 876$ after the discount.

I will post after the work is done and hopefully be enjoying the ride of my car as it was intended to be.
Good luck! Do let us know, I am personally very interested to hear if it resolves your NVH & ride quality problems. I have a hefty "CLUNK" in the front driver's side that I know the original owner didn't deal with

PM me if you are going to discard / sell the old arms, it would certainly be easier to re-bush without tearing the car apart first!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

After a trip to Germany a few years ago, I noticed the inside edges of the tyres were wearing out rapidly. A check at my independent Jaguar shop showed the trunnion bush on the banana arm was giving out, so they swapped both sides with new bushes. They had invested in the necessary mandrels and press, of course, so the job wasn't all that expensive. Funnily enough the wear was not apparent until the arm was stressed with a lever. I was told they had seen them so worn out the arm was banging on the subframe. Anyway, it cured the tyre wear, which is caused by tow-out when the car is in motion.

Quick Reply: Advice on Control arm quality replacements