XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Advice: Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

This is a great write up, but what confuses the hell out of me is the color people write about.
In the write up above, I'll be darn if I see a large RED rubber top-mount seal, Bob.
What I see is a large whitish yellow- pinkish looking donut of a thing and I guess that's what your talking about. This is a new computer and the colors on everything so far has been right on.
But to not miss anything, I'm still looking for the large RED seal. Other then that, the write up's are great.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:57 AM

A labor cost quote note.
I was in school at the BELL Helicopter plant in Forth, TX, back in the 70's and close to the end of the program, we had a tour of the assembly plant. We came to a section of the assembly where a fellow was just sitting in the aircraft. I asked him what his job was. He explained that he put all the decals on the instrument panel. I asked why he was just sitting there. He explained that it took him only ten minutes to put on the decals, but the Union approved book called for an hour and a half for the job, so he just had to sit there for an hour and twenty minutes before he could send the plane on it's way. ----Your Union at work-----
Just thought that would help make your day when you ask for a labor cost at most dealers and good independent shops..

Old 05-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Chuck,

Thanks. I used to work as a Program Manager on a USAF aircraft development program and am familiar with the situation you describe. I used to spend a lot of time on the floor across all three shifts to make sure things were moving they way they should. I was pretty young at the time and people typically had no clue I was one of only four people in the PMO. When I'd talk to the boss about issues (and recommended resolutions), I was able to relate the metrics to the real-life progress on the floor and that was helpful.

Last edited by FRGIII2014; 05-23-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:24 PM

06 XK Base, 103K miles.

The shop I'm working with said they could get non-OEM replacement shocks for $650 each and then $450 for installation of both. I think they said they were Arnott. They said if I want to buy my own and bring it to them, they'd put one or both in.

I only have a leak, a very slow leak, on one side. They recommended replacing both, but said if I only wanted one, they'd do it.

I went on line, eBay and found some rebuilt Bilstiens out of Florida for $853 for two with a $300 credit if I send the old shocks back to them (Net $583).

Questions:

1) Do I need to replace both to maintain equal measure on both sides?
2) Will rebuilt Bilstiens be reliable?
3) Is there a difference between shocks on XJ8/Base vs. Other versions?
4) Bilstiens vs. Arnott?
5) Does anyone know of other places to get good shocks at a good price?

Last edited by FRGIII2014; 05-23-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,368 Posts

dup

Last edited by Sean W; 05-23-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
06 XK Base, 103K miles.

The shop I'm working with said they could get non-OEM replacement shocks for $650 each and then $450 for installation of both. I think they said they were Arnott. They said if I want to buy my own and bring it to them, they'd put one or both in.

I only have a leak, a very slow leak, on one side. They recommended replacing both, but said if I only wanted one, they'd do it.

I went on line, eBay and found some rebuilt Bilstiens out of Florida for $853 for two with a $300 credit if I send the old shocks back to them (Net $583).
My two cents.
Questions:

1) Do I need to replace both to maintain equal measure on both sides? Yes it is recommended by Arnott but more likely because they eliminated some OEM design flaws than maintaining equal measure (or profit if your a cynic). It's not a question of "if" the other will fail. It's "when" it will fail. If you can afford it, do both and if you can't, let your wallet be your guide.

2) Will rebuilt Bilstiens be reliable? Can't say personally but Arnott has a lifetime warranty.

3) Is there a difference between shocks on XJ8/Base vs. Other versions? You may have sport shock or comfort shock. You will want to match what you have today, especially of only replacing on shock.

4) Bilstiens vs. Arnott? Again, Arnott has a lifetime warranty. I have no experience with either however but when my time comes, I'll go with Arnott.

5) Does anyone know of other places to get good shocks at a good price? OEM excess stock can occasionally be had on eBay but that's more likely to be available in the UK and you have to be patient. You need something now and other than used or a spring conversion, I'm not aware of more suppliers. Used, will just get you right back to waiting for the next failure, which could be 5 miles or 50k miles, God only knows, but again your wallet may have more input. If you can afford it, bite the bullet IMO but it is only my opinion. Yours is what matters. Best of luck

The following users liked this post:
FRGIII2014 (05-24-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Received 12,945 Likes on 6,468 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
This is a great write up, but what confuses the hell out of me is the color people write about.
In the write up above, I'll be darn if I see a large RED rubber top-mount seal...

Chuck,

I'll agree that the color of the rubber mount/seal in reyesl's photo appears more yellow/pink on my monitor, but since the actual mount/seal on the front air spring/dampers on my car are red, that's the color I'm using to describe that mount/seal. reyesl's mounts may have been a different color to begin with or may be faded with age. In the close-up cutaway photo, the part of the mount near the right of the photo appears pink, but most of the mount appears gray/black - I'm assuming that is from the act of cutting the rubber with the same blade with which he had cut some of the painted metal and black rubber components.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-25-2015 at 12:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (05-25-2015), Chuck Schexnayder (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 AM

Thanks Don.
I was just getting somewhat confused, because I just couldn't see a red seal.
Old bones and old eyes, it's a race to see which one will wear out first ;-).

Last edited by Don B; 05-25-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:22 AM

My couple of cents also.....

I had a leak on the left rear and replaced it with an ARNOTT. The Arnott fellow I was working with on the phone told me replacing in pares was just a recommendation and the single replacement was not a problem. The above comment about "if" but "when" is true, but the missing factor here is "maybe".
Like Sean said above, if you have bottomless pockets, go with the two. If your like me, replace the bad one and take your chances. As simple as the replacement is, (if) the other one fails on down the road, replace it then. The one I replace is going on two years and the other side seems to be doing very well thank you. Course, it could blow tomorrow, but so far, I'm still making interest on the other 600 bucks.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 AM

BTW:

VET'S, Thanks for your service to our country.

For all you other's---find a VET and thank him for his service. The life you enjoy and the cars you drive, are because of men like him.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!

Don B (05-24-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Unlike steel coil springs, which can sack-out and therefore are normally replaced in pairs, with air springs the control system always maintains the car at the correct height using air pressure, so fitting one air shock is perfectly OK. However having a Bilstein one side and an Arnott on the other means whilst the suspension height will be OK, the damper (shock) settings will be different. This probably doesn't make much difference in practice with most people's normal driving. If its an XJR and driven very briskly, the difference might become noticeable.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 12,945 Likes on 6,468 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
However having a Bilstein one side and an Arnott on the other means whilst the suspension height will be OK, the damper (shock) settings will be different.

Fraser,

Is this true even of the OE Bilstein shocks that Arnott rebuilt (at least in the past)? My assumption is that they only replaced the air bladders and perhaps some O-rings and the lower shock bushing, but not the dampers themselves?

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Suncore of Pampano Beach FL has a rebuilt OEM part with a lifetime warranty so I'm going to try that one. They want to know if I want a "Sport" or "Comfort" version. I don't understand the question. All XJ's have a button for "Sport" and default to "Comfort" is what I thought? Did I get it wrong? What am I missing?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
Suncore of Pampano Beach FL has a rebuilt OEM part with a lifetime warranty so I'm going to try that one. They want to know if I want a "Sport" or "Comfort" version. I don't understand the question. All XJ's have a button for "Sport" and default to "Comfort" is what I thought? Did I get it wrong? What am I missing?
My comments above number 3.
Comfort shocks have a 1" diameter green dot on the black portion of the upper air spring can. Should be visible up inside the wheel well. The sport are red dotted. (thanks Brutal)

Old 05-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Fraser,

Is this true even of the OE Bilstein shocks that Arnott rebuilt (at least in the past)? My assumption is that they only replaced the air bladders and perhaps some O-rings and the lower shock bushing, but not the dampers themselves?

Cheers,

Don
Sorry, it is ambiguous ! I meant the Arnott brand-new assemblies, not the Bilsteins with a new bladder put on by Arnott. I think Arnott have now stopped putting new bladders on the Bilsteins.

FRGIII2014 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

I thought I had seen these air spring units around at much less than Jaguar prices, and it appears I did. Here is the David Manners website showing what looks like an OEM Bilstein. This supplier ships to the US. Of course the final price will be greater as there will be shipping and import duties I suspect. We in the UK have the severe burden of VAT (tax) of 20%. VAT is charged on shipping costs too !!

http://www.jagspares.co.uk/Manners/p...no=C2C41347%23

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 05-31-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
FRGIII2014 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 AM

FRG------
I would bet on the comfort, but the seller should be able to tell by your VIN number. When I purchased one, I just called a Jag service department and they gave me the answer-- once I gave them the VIN number.........

Cheers

FRGIII2014 (05-31-2015)