XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

aftermarket coolant reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts
Default aftermarket coolant reservoirs

The second coolant reservoir on my car has failed at the purge nipple right on schedule. Dealer replaced original right before 50k miles, now I'm at 97k miles and the nipple cracked again.

Has anyone had any good results with the $50 URO or other aftermarket reservoirs I'm seeing on ebay and Amazon? The photos look identical to OEM, but I'm guessing in person they are knockoffs? Just want to confirm before spending $110 at the dealer for the same disposable part.

Thanks,
-Michael

Old 02-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Michael,

I ordered one off amazon that did not work right (one of the pockets would not fill correctly, very strange; they have baffles or similar inside). I got the impression they had a bad run of them as they sent me a new one asap, and it has worked fine, looked very similar to the factory.
*it wasn't URO, which I've read too many poor reviews on in general

The following users liked this post:
mhamilton (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rosskuhns
Michael,

I ordered one off amazon that did not work right (one of the pockets would not fill correctly, very strange; they have baffles or similar inside). I got the impression they had a bad run of them as they sent me a new one asap, and it has worked fine, looked very similar to the factory.
*it wasn't URO, which I've read too many poor reviews on in general
Thanks!

Do you mind sharing what part you bought? There are several on Amazon and all have the same photos. I can't tell if they're URO or not. From what I've heard, I'll stay away from URO as well.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 758 Likes on 635 Posts

You can cut away all of the remains of the plastic nipple and I bought a ss hose

nipple with a tapered screw thread on the other end.

This will screw into the hole and will cut it's own thread if the diameter is about the right size.

I now have a spare tank.

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket coolant reservoirs-img_0371%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by meirion1; 02-27-2016 at 03:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by meirion1:
paydase (10-20-2017), RDMinor (10-21-2017)
Old 02-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Thanks!

Do you mind sharing what part you bought? There are several on Amazon and all have the same photos. I can't tell if they're URO or not. From what I've heard, I'll stay away from URO as well.
Michael, I just dug it up in my orders...unfortunately they must have had too many problems, as the seller 'motorking' on amazon has it listed now as 'currently unavailable'.

*the hard line option by meirion1 might be a good way if you have time and the skill

I also see Terrys Jaguar lists what looks like both the stock one and an aftermarket, I'd guess that they found a good supplier.

Expansion Tank

mhamilton (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by meirion1
You can cut away all of the remains of the plastic nipple and I bought a ss hose

nipple with a tapered screw thread on the other end.

This will screw into the hole and will cut it's own thread if the diameter is about the right size.

I now have a spare tank.
I've considered repairing the tank I have... is the main black plastic part thick enough to not stress crack from threading in the nipple?

Mine actually broken halfway, not flush with the tank. So presently I just moved the clamp all the way to the end of the hose. It's a temp fix, as the hose could slide off with enough pressure.

I was thinking of possibly finding a metal pipe that fits the ID, and epoxying that in the center to hold the two halves of the plastic nipple together. But then I still worry about the whole thing breaking off flush.

BTW--I looked through my docs, the first tank went at 38k miles in 2011. So this one lasted 60k and 5 years.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 758 Likes on 635 Posts

I seem to remember that I drilled out the black plastic part to take the taper thread but not too deep that it interferes with the

sealing of the bleed valve.

If this diameter is correct, the nipple will tighten up but will not be too tight

and damage the black plastic. You could practice on a piece of plastic to get that right.

I must admit that my repaired tank has not been tested in service.

I have previously done a temp fix in the same way that you describe and it went for years,

but it's a case of when not if it will fail again-not because of your fix but because of the same fault where the plastic tube breaks

off again.

Cheers

paydase (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello all,

I'd like to tag onto this thread to ask if anyone has bought and had luck with an aftermarket reservoir recently.
Mine is a 2005 XJ8, NA engine

My adventure started due to my coolant level sensor getting trippy (low coolant warning while the tank was clearly full)
In removing the reservoir to get to the sensor I broke the nipple. If I had smaller hands, I wouldn't be in this situation today.

I ordered a replacement from Welsh Parts through eBay and immediately noticed that the sensor gave me a false negative - throwing no codes while the reservoir was empty. They sent me another reservoir but it was even worse in fit & finish and I haven't even installed it.

At first, I ended up buying an OEM radiator drain hose C2C17258 to fix a drip from the tank outlet area, but this replacement reservoir got me thinking maybe my 3-outlet hose was just fine.

Now, the OEM reservoir is part number C2C41899 but if it is going to fail in a couple of years, I am not excited to spend $130... yet.
I have to admit, nothing beats OEM jaguar when it comes to fitment and quality. (I learned after trying to retrofit a cheapo TPS to the throttle body)

So, what brands have you had success with?
I saw this one on eBay with an interesting outlet - CLICK ME
I am doing my best to avoid any URO parts. Bad experience with their VIAS O-Ring seals, and general reviews online.

Last edited by EdBwoy; 10-20-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Different car but similar vein, I had the return nipple from the top tank to reservoir on my ‘92 XJ40 snap off, I purchased a 1/8” bspt nipple and equivalent tap and fitted that to the top tank, 10 years later it was still going strong when I sold the car.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I bought a new oem reservoir a few months ago because I thought the nipple had cracked as I was getting seepage in that area.

I installed the new reservoir and I still had seepage.

It turned out to be the hose itself. Even tho it "looked" ok and even with two clamps on it it still has seepage.

The new hose was a lot "harder" in feel than the old hose.

So now I have two good reservoirs.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:02 PM

jackra, which hose are you referring to; the 3-legged guy that connects at the bottom of the reservoir?
And I hate to be rude in asking this, but were you thinking of offering your OEM reservoir up for sale?

Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

EdBwoy.

I was referring to the small diameter hose that leads off the nipple on the reservoir next to the bleed screw.

pm me.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jackra_1
EdBwoy.

I was referring to the small diameter hose that leads off the nipple on the reservoir next to the bleed screw.

pm me.
Oh yah! Key words "in the area". Haha.

PM coming

Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Default Done - OEM choice

I'd like to update my request. I went with the OEM one as I didn't want to keep kissing frogs hoping to get the right aftermarket reservoir. The job is cumbersome enough that I wanted to only do it once.

Comparing the OEM ones"to the other 2 units I had from Welsh (one NIB, the other I actually installed), the aftermarket one:
1. Had slightly different baffle patterns and sizes
2. Leaked from the vent until I broke the vent plug tightening it. I replaced it with the original OEM plug and an O-Ring
3. Leaked from the bottom outlet
4. The level sensor seemed to have been broken and soldered together. It didn't give true reading
5. When removed from the car, had blackish clouds in 2 of the compartments. No idea why

Good luck to you all, as you make your decisions and do the job.