XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aftermarket Mongoose Cable & Battery Supply Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Aftermarket Mongoose Cable & Battery Supply Question

Greetings,

I am in the beginning stages of setting up an IDS/SDD system. I have two questions:

Because the Drew Mongoose cable is not in production and is difficult to find, is there a brand of knockoff cables that are more desirable than others? I have read many, many of the threads regarding SDD and I keep hearing that the cables offered at this time are not very good. I am in desperate need of computer diagnostics for my 2005 XJR and decided to build a laptop to address this need. What cable is the best of the worst so to speak.

Second question: Regarding the external battery supply required during diagnostics. What options are out there that are cost conscious? I have seen one recommended in a thread but it was $500 - $700. It seems to me that one requires something that keeps the battery at 13.5 volts and not much more. Is this incorrect? Suggestions appreciated.

So far, I have:
HP laptop with factory installed XP that I am cleaning up. Removing everything not necessary and using this as a dedicated SDD machine.

Needs:
Software version v125 or v130 for MY 2005 XJR. From reading the threads I believe I do not want anything newer

Interface cable. I just had a thought (dangerous) can I use the cable from my ICarsoft JLR OB2 reader?

Battery power supply.

Thanks,

Griff

Last edited by Griff79; 01-04-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

I saw these power supplies suggested recently.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.progressiverc.com/produc...AaAopEEALw_wcB

Old 01-04-2023, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

any battery charger pushing 20 amps+

or rig up a delta server power supply

if you’re not programming modules or messing with dealer options you don’t need an IDS just get a launch it has all the bidirectionals and can do keys.

Last edited by xalty; 01-04-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:20 PM
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Post Diagnostic Power Supply and more DYI IDS/SDD

Originally Posted by Griff79
Greetings,
I am in the beginning stages of setting up an IDS/SDD system. I have two questions:
Second question: Regarding the external battery supply required during diagnostics. What options are out there that are cost conscious? I have seen one recommended in a thread but it was $500 - $700. It seems to me that one requires something that keeps the battery at 13.5 volts and not much more. Is this incorrect? Suggestions appreciated.

Needs:
Software version v125 or v130 for MY 2005 XJR. From reading the threads I believe I do not want anything newer

Interface cable. I just had a thought (dangerous) can I use the cable from my ICarsoft JLR OB2 reader?
Battery power supply.
Thanks,
Griff
@Griff79
Hey Griff,

Did you get that car of yours out of "dead" secure lock mode yet? It has been over a year at least. I see you are going the whole DYI diagnostic yourself. Good luck, it is a journey in itself. Make sure to read all the IDS/SDD training materials, then read all the Repair manuals.

This is the $32 40 amp diagnostic power supply I use. You will need to make a Cable from it to your battery. I got battery clamps at Jax in their automotive section for $5, and I have a bunch of wire that I made a custom cable long enough to put the power supply on the wall and run teh cable to the trunk, , and with a roll of electrical tape or some flexible split cable cover from the autoparts store, it's .all neat and tidy.
Amazon.com: Henxlco AC 110V/220V to DC 12V 40A 480W Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply Adapter Transformer Driver Converter for LED Strip Light, CCTV Security Camera System, Computer Project : Electronics Amazon.com: Henxlco AC 110V/220V to DC 12V 40A 480W Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply Adapter Transformer Driver Converter for LED Strip Light, CCTV Security Camera System, Computer Project : Electronics
Yes, you will need it because from our past discussions, you have some issues with modules, communications, wiring, etc. but at least start with a good H8 AGM battery!

full version IDS/SDD v 125 with offline activation file and all update files info can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/fi...641c8bf75f2033
Follow the installation directions to the letter, and reserve at least a whole day to do an install from start to finish, and another day to reset and start over if you screw up.. Note that some updates are rollup updates so read the update notes FIRST.

If you want an easier path, I have several .ova files for preconfigured VM's, work just fine for me. I also have several zip files for some other versions, too large to email, maybe I'll upload them to the mediafire/jaguarforum folde, but then again, you are only what, 15-20 minutes away?

You last obstacle is the VCM itself. I was fortunate enough to be offered a genuine OEM Ford Rotunda VCM, they do not get much better than that. Genuine VCM' are expensive and difficult to find for a reasonable price, uness you consider it will pay itself off in saving from dealer shop rates.

I'd recommend Use British Diagnostics and just buy their setup. Software and clone VCM complete for about $125 US, includes support for their product and other issues. Jaguar Land Rover IDS / SDD – V130 Kit – British Diagnostics
All the above comes from the General Tech Help Sections so you should spend some time there.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Griff79 (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 07:03 AM
Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts

I do not recommend British Diagnostics. Their aftermarket Mongoose interface did NOT communicate properly with my car and they never responded to my requests for assistance.

Jeff

Old 01-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no need to use something archaic as XP, but whatever. According to me a tablet with WIN10pro is optimal, it's easy to operate inside the car, unlike a laptop, and it's worth having a BT or WiFi interface, then it's a fairy tale.
I personally use SDD163 with a Mongoose clone, but SDD version does not matter. I know, I've seen unfavorable comments about clones, but I do quite a lot with it and it has never let me down. In fact, I flashed most of the modules and there was never any problem. Recently, for example I programmed a cluster as a new module, but most often I use it to calibrate the suspension, You know what's going on, it's 350 ... Power supply: this is essential, I only believed it when I measured the power consumption with a clamp meter during flashing. I use a stabilized power supply from the RC craft /eFuel/ 12-18V 30mps. This is not a typical power supply for cars, but it has the advantage that it can be used over long distances, also when charging the battery during winter time - PS stays in the garage. If Your cat is only a hobby and generally You use a modern car it is worth to have more powerful PS, min. 50amps.

Last edited by PeterX358; 01-05-2023 at 01:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PeterX358:
Griff79 (01-06-2023), paulz67 (01-06-2023), Wingrider (01-08-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by StagByTriumph
@Griff79
Hey Griff,

Did you get that car of yours out of "dead" secure lock mode yet? It has been over a year at least. I see you are going the whole DYI diagnostic yourself. Good luck, it is a journey in itself. Make sure to read all the IDS/SDD training materials, then read all the Repair manuals.

This is the $32 40 amp diagnostic power supply I use. You will need to make a Cable from it to your battery. I got battery clamps at Jax in their automotive section for $5, and I have a bunch of wire that I made a custom cable long enough to put the power supply on the wall and run teh cable to the trunk, , and with a roll of electrical tape or some flexible split cable cover from the autoparts store, it's .all neat and tidy.
Amazon.com: Henxlco AC 110V/220V to DC 12V 40A 480W Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply Adapter Transformer Driver Converter for LED Strip Light, CCTV Security Camera System, Computer Project : Electronics
Yes, you will need it because from our past discussions, you have some issues with modules, communications, wiring, etc. but at least start with a good H8 AGM battery!

full version IDS/SDD v 125 with offline activation file and all update files info can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/fi...641c8bf75f2033
Follow the installation directions to the letter, and reserve at least a whole day to do an install from start to finish, and another day to reset and start over if you screw up.. Note that some updates are rollup updates so read the update notes FIRST.

If you want an easier path, I have several .ova files for preconfigured VM's, work just fine for me. I also have several zip files for some other versions, too large to email, maybe I'll upload them to the mediafire/jaguarforum folde, but then again, you are only what, 15-20 minutes away?

You last obstacle is the VCM itself. I was fortunate enough to be offered a genuine OEM Ford Rotunda VCM, they do not get much better than that. Genuine VCM' are expensive and difficult to find for a reasonable price, uness you consider it will pay itself off in saving from dealer shop rates.

I'd recommend Use British Diagnostics and just buy their setup. Software and clone VCM complete for about $125 US, includes support for their product and other issues. Jaguar Land Rover IDS / SDD – V130 Kit – British Diagnostics
All the above comes from the General Tech Help Sections so you should spend some time there.

Cheers!
Glenn,
Great to hear from you. Yes, I’m still monkeying around with the XJR. I didn’t realize you sent me a PM a while ago. I’ll shoot you a text or a call and we can have a chat.

Thanks so much for your knowledge and support.
Griff

Old 01-06-2023, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts
Old 01-06-2023, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by PeterX358
There is no need to use something archaic as XP, but whatever. According to me a tablet with WIN10pro is optimal, it's easy to operate inside the car, unlike a laptop, and it's worth having a BT or WiFi interface, then it's a fairy tale.
I personally use SDD163 with a Mongoose clone, but SDD version does not matter. I know, I've seen unfavorable comments about clones, but I do quite a lot with it and it has never let me down. In fact, I flashed most of the modules and there was never any problem. Recently, for example I programmed a cluster as a new module, but most often I use it to calibrate the suspension, You know what's going on, it's 350 ... Power supply: this is essential, I only believed it when I measured the power consumption with a clamp meter during flashing. I use a stabilized power supply from the RC craft /eFuel/ 12-18V 30mps. This is not a typical power supply for cars, but it has the advantage that it can be used over long distances, also when charging the battery during winter time - PS stays in the garage. If Your cat is only a hobby and generally You use a modern car it is worth to have more powerful PS, min. 50amps.
Peter,
I have read a few comments about using Windows 10 and wondered why one would have to use XP. I assumed it had something to do with the age of SDD. Do you have a little more clarity on this?

Does SDD163 work on a 2005MY? My understanding is that v130 is the newest version that works on older MYs. I am probably way off base.

A tablet would seem to be more convenient inside the car. I don’t like typing on tablets but if it more checking boxes and clicking screens it could work well. What about saving things on the tablet? How is that working for you.

We have an HP Pavillion with XP on it. I thought I would just use it. I have deleted programs and files to bring it down to XP operations, Adobe and Office. No other files etc. Defraged the hd, cleared caches, and tried to get as much of the crap deleted as possible. The one thing I hate on the machine is the cursor. It sucks. I have an external mouse that is better but it’s not that great.

aThanks for you info and time,
Griff

Old 01-06-2023, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by JCalhoun
I do not recommend British Diagnostics. Their aftermarket Mongoose interface did NOT communicate properly with my car and they never responded to my requests for assistance.

Jeff
Noted, there has been mixed reviews on aftermarket cables. I think it is hit or miss.
Griff

Old 01-06-2023, 09:19 PM
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Diag Options, ThinkCar?

Originally Posted by Griff79
Noted, there has been mixed reviews on aftermarket cables. I think it is hit or miss.
Griff
I gotta admit, IDS/SDD is pretty qwirky for beginners, lots of room to screw up, escpecially if you are bringing a car back to life from dead / security lockout that has also been sitting for a year plus, I mean, a lot of stuff perishes just sitting in one position and not running various systems.

It takes a lot of time investment to get IDS/SDD stabile on a PC simply for the time it takes to get it installed, not at all sure about claims to get it running on a WIN10 machine without having a Topic subscription or some crack containing a call-home virus.

So I have been PMing with xalty, and he has been using ThinkCar, not sure which version he has.
Cheap enough entry costs on various sites but options and add-on costs seems a bit confusing needing a lot more research.

I will see if they have a trial version, but initially it looks like an annual fee, some say after 1 year, somesay after two, some by the number of different models you have actually connected to, some include several free models.

The ThinkCar website is not a wealth of information on options and costs, lots of text to read through.

Also wanting to know how ThinkCar then gives/gets repair advice when responding to any DTC.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Griff79, SDD163 covers models from 1995, at least that's what I read. The tablet is for convenience only, of course You can use it witn a pen. By tablet I don't mean the latest Sufrace machine for 2k$, something used 8RAM+SSD with a working touch and a new battery will suffice.Everything You would like to do with your car, You can do it using your XP+SDD130, so don't wait, just start ... I suggest You to start by reading electrical diagrams, manuals, bulletins, IDS/SDD manuals, module programming rules if you haven't done it yet, then You need to check networks: CAN+SCP /less D2B/, there can be no errors in the bundles because correct diagnosis will not be possible and programming is dangerous.

Last edited by PeterX358; 01-14-2023 at 01:08 PM.