XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo

Ok, I'm a newbie to the forum, and yes, I will go to the newbie sandbox later today to introduce myself and my car.

Jumping in head-first here though... I've searched thru the site for anyone having successfully upgraded the factory stereo to an aftermarket unit, and was really only able to locate one person-- and it involved a custom panel being fabricated.

It seems (by reading several posts) that the factory stereo in the S-type and X-type are the same dimensions as the XJ. So is there any reason I cannot order a double-din install kit from Crutchfield for the S-type and assume will also work on my 2004 XJ8? Also, considering I have the standard, non-amplified stock stereo, will the harness adapter (and steering wheel control adapter) for an S-type also work?

Assuming the S-type harness adapters would work, it seems to reason that the install would be simple if I'm ok with not installing an amplifier just yet. Of course, I would more than likely end up installing 2 amps, subs, etc, at some point-- but it would be nice to know that outside the fiber-optics harness, the rest of the system is pretty industry-standard?

I see there seems to be an industry-wide oversight for anything specific to the 2004-10 XJ's. Yes, I understand the fiber-optic system, etc... but for those of us interested in building a system, we would abandon that network anyway.

I guess an easier way to ask this question is: Is the standard non-amplified stereo in an S-type, the same unit as a non-amplified stereo from an XJ of the same year?

Although I'm a newbie here (and to Jags), I have years and years of experience with the guys on Roadfly (BMW).

Thanks in advance!

2004 XJ8 Black on Black

Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Default am I the only one?

over 40 views, but not one response yet? I guess I'm the only one out there who's annoyed with the stock stereo....

The following users liked this post:
Harvey Stevens (06-21-2020)
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey greg I have had 3 JagXJR's and was pretty happy with the stock sound system. The newer ones even stepped up the bar. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GregRRich
over 40 views, but not one response yet? I guess I'm the only one out there who's annoyed with the stock stereo....
Hey, Greg.

One of the problems you're going to run in to is that the stereo "hole" is non-DIN, and so far as I know, no one markets an adapter designed specifically for the X350 series to replace the stock radio with an aftermarket.

Another issue is wiring. The X350s use a fiber optic D2B bus to connect major audio components (stereo/cd, amplifier, CD Changer, DVD player). So, anything you replace it with would require a major rewire, including routing new speaker wires through the cabin.

Also, in conjunction with problem #1, the anti-theft feature of the stereo (which is crazy: having gone through the contortions of removing my stereo twice, it's certainly no "****** and grab" operation). When I replaced the stereo in my wife's Tahoe, I also bought a Scosche adapter that the vehicle's harness plugs in to, and then it plugs into the aftermarket stereo. This adapter sends the proper signals to the Tahoe's central computer to keep it from thinking the stereo's been stolen. There is no such animal (that I can find) for the Jaguar. Not sure how it would affect driveability; at best, you might have a constant fault code.

My issues with the stock stereo are mainly lack of AUX input. I use an FM transmitter to overcome that. Sound levels are decent. I'm mostly beyond my headbangin' days, so in that respect, the Jag's stereo performs adequately.

Sorry for the downer...

Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Default Thanks Mitch

Hey Mitch--

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about the possible fault code for the car thinking its stolen... (who would want to steal a factory base-model stereo?).

As for your other points--

The hole in the dash is somewhat of a concern, but I'm willing to the $20 for an adapter made for an S-type. Its seems confirmed that the XJ and the S use the same stereo, so it stands to reason that the the dash bezel would be the same as well (or require little effort). Worth the $20 gamble anyway...

I'm hoping/assuming the fiberoptics wouldn't matter in relation to the speakers, as my car has the standard stereo (no amplifier)... so the speaker wires should be part of the stereo's harness in the dash. With no other accessories, the fiber-optic loop would just be abandoned and not needed.

My biggest concern is whether the stock harness is the same as the harness in the standard S-type... that way, a simple harness adapter is all I would need.

It's strange that no aftermarket companies have marketed such adapters for the XJ, but maybe it's because this scenario would only work if you have the base-model stereo... as the upgraded versions with an amp would not work because of fiber-optics? If this is the case, I'm sort of glad my car did not come with the optional stereo or nav (although if I had nav, I probably wouldn't be considering this). I guess I've sold myself on the idea of trying this, I'm just surprised that no one else has yet... Only one guy on here has, but he used a professional shop with a custom install.

And, yes, my main reason is the lack of a good Aux Input option (and bluetooth)... why spend almost $400 for the aux. adapter and another $400 for the phone module, when for $500, you can get a full nav/dvd system with bluetooth and superior ipod control? It's looking like a head-unit swap with all the adapters will run about $700 total, and hopefully less than one day labor... guess we'll see. But any additional feedback would be much appreciated!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

you may have some luck finding the xj harness adapters in the UK, here in the states you won't find them. I also think that if your xj has the base stereo, and not the nav/screen based unit, you'll have less problems with integration and security. Also, don't sweat the faceplate, those can be made by the talented kids in the audio shops out of wood, just wrap it it in black leather/vynil, or better yet...matched color leather from your car's interior. The harness vs wire splicing just saves some time and removes the guesswork from finding the correct wire. ifyou get the latest jaguar TIS cd, it has the 2004 XJ wiring schematics and and you can just match up color for color. I'd do the double din in a heartbeat with an xj with the base stereo, maybe add an amp and swap out those speakers. Ok, maybe not all at once.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Exactly!!

Crutchfield has all the adapters for an S-Type, considering it's less than $50 for everything, I'm going to try it... heck, I spend more than that in one evening at a bar! So if it doesn't plug right in, there's nothing really lost.

I'm pretty good at fabricating (engineer here)... but I'm hoping the S-type bezel snaps right in. And yes, if this works, I'll add amps, subs, etc, later on... for now, I just want to see if I can get the head unit swapped in painlessly.

I've narrowed it down to either the Pioneer AVIC-x910bt , or the Kenwood DNX-6960 ---I want a volume knob, and something that at least "looks" close to factory. The Pioneer has the same piano black finish, so I'm leaning that direction.

Ironically, I'm planning the same process for my Dodge Ram. The dash is not technically compatible with double-din, so I have to get a salvage dash panel and fabricate it to work... and my truck actually HAS factory NAV... I just hate it. If it weren't for projects, I'd be stuck just driving my car... where's the fun in that?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you called Crutchfield tech support? They have helped me with wire color codes. They use to be willing to make harnesses and adapters for cars they didnt have in the lineup. I took a 84 saab turbo to them back in the day and at the warehouse, a tech and myself made a harness for the speakers so I didnt have to cut any wires. That was when the employee lineup was less than 30 and no retail stores.

I've been dealing with them for 22 years, since they are only 20 mins away and they use to have a "tent" sale each year that a kid like I use to be was able to pick up gear for nearly nothing. Fact my last purchase (4 years ago) was an after market for my 87 xj6, very simple compared to your 2004. Only thing Crutchfield tech guy didnt realize is that I cant load a cd when its in park ... hehe

Please take a photo of what you come up with

Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

while the harness may fit your new deck, most likely the wiring won't be correct...i'd be careful, don't want to give power to something that doesn't like it. sounds like you have the capability to do it right...follow up when its ready, we'd love to see

Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM

I'm gonna start ordering stuff this week... looks like this will take place in about 2 weeks (or less). I'll document and photo everything for y'all. Does anyone know a link/post to removing the stock stereo? I can search, but if anyone knows of one already... thanks!

And ya... a trusty Fluke meter, a D-cell battery, and a little trial-error, I should be able to figure the wires out-- or like OldMan suggested, I might try tech-support at either Crutchfield or Metra (I just got my dealer's account with Metra). I also have a technical manual on the car (pdf, about 2000 pages)...

The following users liked this post:
benwillcox (11-02-2019)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Mitch--

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about the possible fault code for the car thinking its stolen... (who would want to steal a factory base-model stereo?).

As for your other points--

The hole in the dash is somewhat of a concern, but I'm willing to the $20 for an adapter made for an S-type. Its seems confirmed that the XJ and the S use the same stereo, so it stands to reason that the the dash bezel would be the same as well (or require little effort). Worth the $20 gamble anyway...

I'm hoping/assuming the fiberoptics wouldn't matter in relation to the speakers, as my car has the standard stereo (no amplifier)... so the speaker wires should be part of the stereo's harness in the dash. With no other accessories, the fiber-optic loop would just be abandoned and not needed.

My biggest concern is whether the stock harness is the same as the harness in the standard S-type... that way, a simple harness adapter is all I would need.

It's strange that no aftermarket companies have marketed such adapters for the XJ, but maybe it's because this scenario would only work if you have the base-model stereo... as the upgraded versions with an amp would not work because of fiber-optics? If this is the case, I'm sort of glad my car did not come with the optional stereo or nav (although if I had nav, I probably wouldn't be considering this). I guess I've sold myself on the idea of trying this, I'm just surprised that no one else has yet... Only one guy on here has, but he used a professional shop with a custom install.

And, yes, my main reason is the lack of a good Aux Input option (and bluetooth)... why spend almost $400 for the aux. adapter and another $400 for the phone module, when for $500, you can get a full nav/dvd system with bluetooth and superior ipod control? It's looking like a head-unit swap with all the adapters will run about $700 total, and hopefully less than one day labor... guess we'll see. But any additional feedback would be much appreciated!

I'll be looking forward to reading your writeup about using the S-Type DIN adapter and the wiring...it hadn't occurred to me that the "standard" stereo system didn't have an amp in the trunk as well. As for the speaker wire color code, others have offered you appropriate pages from JTIS, which I also have.

I'm also a bit put off by the prices for the modules, but I also understand them. Economies of scale is a factor. Compare the volume of cars coming out of the Jaguar plant with that of other manufacturers.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If the Critchfield harness adapter is like the one for the X all you might have to do is pop out some of the wires and relocate them in the adaptor. There is a universal sterring adaptor, look in the audio video forum, the X type guys have done quite a few double din replacements and have documented most.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

I've been looking in the X-type and S-type forums for some ideas, and will really study them once I get the stock unit out of the console. Any assistance from JTIS would be much appreciated! I think I'll be ordering the stuff from Crutchfield tonight... and I'll settle on a headunit in the next few days.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM

update-- I ordered the dash kit and harness adapter today. I also picked up a great deal on a Pioneer Avic-x910bt on ebay. Looks like this project may take place next weekend!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have a 2004 XJ8. Please keep us informed. I'd love to see how this works out. Thanks,

Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found that thread...

Are there any news about that this project was successful??? Pics???

I am just about to change my units as well.

Thanks for any answers!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Default Project was successful

The harness adapter for the S-type is the same for the XJ. The dash adapter is "close" enough to work with. It turns out that the S-type and X-type use a stereo that is slightly narrower than the XJ model. They are the same height and shape, just a half inch or so narrower... so when you install the adapter and put the entire assembly back into the dash, there's a 1/4" gap exposed on each side. I filled the gap with a 6" piece of generic black flat weatherstripping on each side. Placed carefully and neatly, it looks like it belongs. I fed the ipod cable into the ashtray area and removed the tray. Any size ipod fits into the space now with the lid closed.

I still have to install a backup camera... one of these days. I will post pics of the unit in the dash shortly. Honestly, if you have any experience at installing stereos, this is a pretty easy project. Removing the center console is probably the hardest part, and that only takes 15 minutes.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good to hear your project was successful . Back up camera sounds like a plan a go for it

Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The harness adapter for the S-type is the same for the XJ. The dash adapter is "close" enough to work with. It turns out that the S-type and X-type use a stereo that is slightly narrower than the XJ model. They are the same height and shape, just a half inch or so narrower... so when you install the adapter and put the entire assembly back into the dash, there's a 1/4" gap exposed on each side. I filled the gap with a 6" piece of generic black flat weatherstripping on each side. Placed carefully and neatly, it looks like it belongs. I fed the ipod cable into the ashtray area and removed the tray. Any size ipod fits into the space now with the lid closed.

I still have to install a backup camera... one of these days. I will post pics of the unit in the dash shortly. Honestly, if you have any experience at installing stereos, this is a pretty easy project. Removing the center console is probably the hardest part, and that only takes 15 minutes.
Greg, unless I'm missing it, are there photos of your job somewhere? I'm like so many others: hate the factory stereo & want to do a nice system. I come from the Rockford fosgate and Soundstream days of the mid-90's & would love a nice system again. Am I reading correctly that since I do NOT have NAV, I do not have fiber-optic lines & can just use an S-type harness? Did you run pre-amp lines to an amp or ? You've made me think that I might be able to tackle this. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo