XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Aftermarket Stereo

Nice! My Jaguar XJ8L does not have the navigation feature. But, I do have plenty of space to install a DOUBLE DIN stereo receiver in place of the factory head unit. How did you configure the wiring for your Jaguar?

Old 11-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SHOCKTROOP35
Nice! My Jaguar XJ8L does not have the navigation feature. But, I do have plenty of space to install a DOUBLE DIN stereo receiver in place of the factory head unit. How did you configure the wiring for your Jaguar?
Get the x type harness its compatible with the x350 or u can splice wires but I prefer to spend 50 bucks just to plug harness and not cut into my cat's veins. I got tired of FM transmitter very poor sound quality. Love the new kenwood sounds 3xs better!!!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that x-type harness next week. One other question. Where you able to find a way to maintain steering wheel controls for your new head unit or just decide to get the aftermarket head unit to work?

Old 11-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by SHOCKTROOP35
Thanks for the reply. I will look into that x-type harness next week. One other question. Where you able to find a way to maintain steering wheel controls for your new head unit or just decide to get the aftermarket head unit to work?
I think I ordered wrong cables for steering because it didn't work my audio guy going to look into it next weekend when he installs the 3.5" top dashboard speakers and 6.5 rear windshield speakers. I'll keep u posted

Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 PM

Thanks. You've been a big help already.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I am having issues installing a new Kenwood receiver into my 2004 XJ8.
The car has no Navigation system, but does have the 6 cd player in the trunk.
When I remove the old hifi, it has the weird sized antenna connector, a 20 pin plug and a fibre optic two pin plug. Only 10 pins in the 20 pin plug are used, which matches the 2004 Electrical guide. Mostly to do with power in, SCP, dimming, network wake up, it has no connections that go directly to the speakers.

The pins used do not match up with those on the Metra 70-9500 (which I know is for the S type, but others seem to have used). So I am looking to move pins, but to where?
The wiring diagram does not list the usual speaker out combinations of FL, FR, RL, RR, positive and negative.

So how do I wire this thing up, or am I out of luck and all is done via the fibre optic connection?\

Update, I looked in the trunk and there is an amplifier beside the 6 cd changer, and when I reinstall the original hifi, I can hear that I have twelve working speakers, tweeters and mid range in each door, subs in the back parcel shelf and speakers in the corners by the windscreen.

I assume I am going to have to replace the existing amp with a few new ones and feed component cables from the head unit to them in the trunk?

Or, what is the best bluetooth adapter to add to the existing OEM system?
On the plus side, I opened up the cd changer, lubed the motor and cogs and it plays discs now, so there is that.

Last edited by cooldood; 11-16-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: updated after more investigation
Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by cooldood
I am having issues installing a new Kenwood receiver into my 2004 XJ8.
The car has no Navigation system, but does have the 6 cd player in the trunk.
When I remove the old hifi, it has the weird sized antenna connector, a 20 pin plug and a fibre optic two pin plug. Only 10 pins in the 20 pin plug are used, which matches the 2004 Electrical guide. Mostly to do with power in, SCP, dimming, network wake up, it has no connections that go directly to the speakers.

The pins used do not match up with those on the Metra 70-9500 (which I know is for the S type, but others seem to have used). So I am looking to move pins, but to where?
The wiring diagram does not list the usual speaker out combinations of FL, FR, RL, RR, positive and negative.

So how do I wire this thing up, or am I out of luck and all is done via the fibre optic connection?\

Update, I looked in the trunk and there is an amplifier beside the 6 cd changer, and when I reinstall the original hifi, I can hear that I have twelve working speakers, tweeters and mid range in each door, subs in the back parcel shelf and speakers in the corners by the windscreen.

I assume I am going to have to replace the existing amp with a few new ones and feed component cables from the head unit to them in the trunk?

Or, what is the best bluetooth adapter to add to the existing OEM system?
On the plus side, I opened up the cd changer, lubed the motor and cogs and it plays discs now, so there is that.
In the same situation. Used the x type plug adapters for my non nav 2003 xj8. Double din unit powers up lovely but no sound. Double checked with another head unit. Still no sound. I guess ive got a lot of swearing and tracing to do unless i need to switch speaker plugs around? Any help massively appreciated

Michael

Old 06-09-2020, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by M Sweeney
In the same situation. Used the x type plug adapters for my non nav 2003 xj8. Double din unit powers up lovely but no sound. Double checked with another head unit. Still no sound. I guess ive got a lot of swearing and tracing to do unless i need to switch speaker plugs around? Any help massively appreciated
Update: this job is a pig. Good news is the speaker wires from the amp are copper.

I've run 6 x RCA cables to head unit from OEM amp location. Removed OEM amp and CD changer. Will power 2 x Pioneer amps off the battery then connect the RCAs for input.

Mounting amps is a pig. The fibre optic nonsense is overengineered, unupgradable and piggy. Access to wiring (remove rear seats etc) is a bit piggy but achievable. Will do a full write up with pics once it's running. Expecting total cost to be under £200 (already had the Carplay/Android auto head unit) but 2 full days work tracing wires and scratching head.

Watch this space folks. Will get this done if it kills me.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M Sweeney
Update: this job is a pig. Good news is the speaker wires from the amp are copper.

I've run 6 x RCA cables to head unit from OEM amp location. Removed OEM amp and CD changer. Will power 2 x Pioneer amps off the battery then connect the RCAs for input.

Mounting amps is a pig. The fibre optic nonsense is overengineered, unupgradable and piggy. Access to wiring (remove rear seats etc) is a bit piggy but achievable. Will do a full write up with pics once it's running. Expecting total cost to be under £200 (already had the Carplay/Android auto head unit) but 2 full days work tracing wires and scratching head.

Watch this space folks. Will get this done if it kills me.

I think your solution is probably the best way to go, like you I can't understand why they have used the fibre optic and can't find any info on it that makes sense, ie is it same as fibre from hifi system. There seems to be a lot of confusion ref Premium sound and the fibre/amp in the boot which I believe is the Audiophile system, Premium does not have amp in the boot but does have amp in the radio and therefore can use the S type ISO adapter. Still trying to decide which way to go and did you ever get your system working?

The following users liked this post:
M Sweeney (01-02-2021)
Old 12-30-2020, 06:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear all,
can somebody tell me which FM antenna conector is needed for the standard headunit in the X350. I mean DIN, Fakra or something else?
Thanks in advance for your answer,
Ramoncello

The following users liked this post:
M Sweeney (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by mcc2905
I think your solution is probably the best way to go, like you I can't understand why they have used the fibre optic and can't find any info on it that makes sense, ie is it same as fibre from hifi system. There seems to be a lot of confusion ref Premium sound and the fibre/amp in the boot which I believe is the Audiophile system, Premium does not have amp in the boot but does have amp in the radio and therefore can use the S type ISO adapter. Still trying to decide which way to go and did you ever get your system working?
Hello. Yes. Was too busy enjoying my lovely audio to reply! Works an absolute treat.

Word of warning is that the amp output will overwhelm the parcel shelf (fittings rattle, sunblind rattle) but a tweaking of subwoofer output gets it under control. Was a pig of a job but only because I did it incrementally, I reckon one weekend if you've learned the lessons above.

S Type ISO (and dash) adapter was a godsend though and stopped a lot of nasty soldering behind the dash

Old 01-02-2021, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by mcc2905
I was positive I'd done a full write up somewhere - https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...x.98203/page-4

Here you go! Drop me an email if you get stuck or I've missed a bit michaelsweeney167 at hotmail com and I'll try help you out.

Definitely worth the grazed knuckles and swearing if you're keeping the car. Good luck.

Re: aerial question I used a new internal aerial i hid in the dash (also DAB compatible) connected directly to the head unit, I seem to remember the x type kit came with the correct adaptor but can't remember what it was so maybe google that kit and look at the pictures?

Old 05-27-2021, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I got the nav unit with single cd and cd changer in the boot, I want to do away with the cd stuff and possibly use an aftermarket amp and headunit.

Looking on amazon in spain where i am there is this https://www.amazon.es/AERZETIX-adapt...139146&sr=8-18

does that look like what i need?

thanks