XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air spring replacement parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
EsRay, as far as I know, it is a rubber moulding. If you look into the top of the damper where the CATS connection goes you can see the outside of it. If the seal leaks, then soapy water there will start to bubble up.
Thanks Fraser.
So presumably we don't need a replacement rubber moulding (the Aerosus replacement 'bag' must have one)?

We just need to know how to (if possible) separate our OEM Bilstein Damper from it's 'airbag'? Even if it means destroying the (now useless) Bilstein 'airbag' container in the process?

Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

The directions are actually in Audiworld forum in the A8 in D3. They use the same Bilstein type unit. The are not interchangeable, but the are very close.
The d tails of taking apart are the same. I wanted to rebuild the Jaguar struts. The Audi A8 struts have airbag issues, but no top seal leaks. So failures are much less common.
I have replaced the two front struts on my A8. In six years. All the struts have been replaced on the XJR. All rebuilds now. RMT addresses the top seal. Not sure if by applying something to the rubber or replacing.

The following users liked this post:
EsRay (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EsRay
Thanks Fraser.
So presumably we don't need a replacement rubber moulding (the Aerosus replacement 'bag' must have one)? We just need to know how to (if possible) separate our OEM Bilstein Damper from it's 'airbag'? Even if it means destroying the (now useless) Bilstein 'airbag' container in the process?
Fraser, I think this is the post to which Panelhead refers above? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...y-job-2969548/

When you have time, please take a look and let me know what you think?

Thank you

Old 12-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by EsRay
Fraser, I think this is the post to which Panelhead refers above? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...y-job-2969548/

When you have time, please take a look and let me know what you think?

Thank you
The design for the Audi is quite a lot different. I see that there is a top nut that secures the two parts together, whereas the Jaguar unit doesn't have this. My problem is that until I can see instructions on how to install the Aerosus parts for the Jaguar unit, I can't really comment any further.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

The design for the Audi is quite a lot different. I see that there is a top nut that secures the two parts together, whereas the Jaguar unit doesn't have this. My problem is that until I can see instructions on how to install the Aerosus parts for the Jaguar unit, I can't really comment any further.
Thank you Fraser.

Is this not a top nut?

Old 12-06-2019, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

EsRay, you're quite right, so this may be the key to the whole thing !. I don't have my XJ Sovereign any more so can't go out and look at the car to see what is what. This means the drawing in the technical notes may not be very accurate.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member

EsRay, you're quite right, so this may be the key to the whole thing !. I don't have my XJ Sovereign any more so can't go out and look at the car to see what is what. This means the drawing in the technical notes may not be very accurate.
Thanks Fraser. I am going to obtain a defunct air shock to experiment on...Will keep you and Panelhead posted.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

If these parts can truly replace all the leaking pieces, there should to be a company to purchase the shock portion of the shock itself.
When & if one finds access to said parts, they could build their own shocks.
Somewhat like motorcycle shocks,the inside parts, springs, dampers, & seals, can be acquired.
This gives you the choice to rebuild them like stock, raise or lower the height of the seat, with different length dampers.
The trick with bike shocks is how to make a tool to disassemble, & reassemble them.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Old 12-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Just to let y'all know that I raised a query with Aerosus about the lack of installation instructions, and have had a very courteous reply. I pointed out in my message to them that air springs and their huge cost to replace was a major issue with the X350 fraternity, such that lots of owners just swap to coil units. Here is here reply in full: -Radek D. (Aerosus)

Dec 6, 12:45 CET
Dear Mr. Mitchell,

Thank you for contacting Aerosus.

Unfortunately we do not provide any installation guides at the moment. Our team is working on the guidelines, but we do not have information when they would be available.

We would like to confirm that our shocks/air springs for Jaguar XJ X350 support the CATS system on the cars that varies them between Hard and Soft.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Radek D.
Aerosus Customer Support

Don B (01-08-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Just to let y'all know that I raised a query with Aerosus about the lack of installation instructions, and have had a very courteous reply. I pointed out in my message to them that air springs and their huge cost to replace was a major issue with the X350 fraternity, such that lots of owners just swap to coil units. Here is here reply in full: -Radek D. (Aerosus)
Thank you for your efforts Fraser.

I don't wish to appear pedantic, but I have an Aerosus replacement shock/damper on my car. It has been there (and seems fine...I have not felt any difference in the ride?) for very nearly a year now and has a two-year guarantee.
However, it does appear to have the 'silver cone' on top (like the Arnott shocks) which (presumably) contains the coil that mimics CATS? So, when Mr Radek D says 'We would like to confirm that our shocks/air springs for Jaguar XJ X350 support the CATS system on the cars that varies them between Hard and Soft', does he mean exactly that or does he mean that it contains a device that prevents tripping a CATS System Fault light (my apologies for being a pedant)?
Because if it does not actually have a CATS-type damper, we may be better advised to try to find a way to separate our existing damper and airbag and buy their 'airbag only' option to fit on our existing CATS damper?
If you get my gist?

Last edited by EsRay; 12-11-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hi EsRay
What you have got is a complete replacement air spring unit with shock incorporated. I don't think this will support CATS. As I understand it the Aerosus air spring replacement fits around the existing Bilstein shock. The old unit is removed and the new one attached.

EsRay (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Fraser,

Please find below pic of disassembled Bilstein.

If you try to turn the top nut on it's own, the shaft spins with it. However, if you look inside the shaft. you will see that it has an internal allen key female sized 8 mm. Use the key down through a 17 mm box spanner to hold the shaft still while you undo the top nut. (I did not have a 17 mm box spanner at the time, so I welded a bar to a drilled-out 17 mm socket and used that).
You then need to release the large metal 'clip' which secures the plastic 'bellows' to the body and then hold the slots in a plastic ring thereunder while you tap and undo the plastic threaded ring that is screwed to it to hold the whole together?

It is a bit more obvious than is my poor description, when it is in front of you!

And (I think) you now have a Bilstein Damper (with CATS) which (I hope) can receive the new Air Bag offered by Aerosus and shown by Fraser in his opening post?

The following 2 users liked this post by EsRay:
AD2014 (01-14-2020), Don B (01-08-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

What we now need to know is whether the fitting on the bottom of the Aerosus Air Bag assembly is the same a this one? Because this fitting is factory clamped to the rubber air bag itself and therefore is not interchangeable?

Last edited by EsRay; 12-18-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Don B (01-08-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

I really like your improvised tool to remove the 17 mm nut, nice work.

EsRay (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wingrider
I really like your improvised tool to remove the 17 mm nut, nice work.
You know what, Wingrider, I just knew that you would like that!

I just couldn't be arsed to stop what I was doing and go buy a 17 mm box spanner!

Last edited by EsRay; 12-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:22 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Reading Fraser's original post again prompted ;me to search eBay for any similar air spring repair parts, which yielded these:

Jaguar X351 X350 Air Spring Repair Kit Front Right

Jaguar X351 X350 Air Spring Repair Kit Front Left

Jaguar X351 X350 Air Spring Repair Kit Rear Right

Jaguar X351 X350 Air Spring Repair Kit Rear Left

The photos at the Aerosus website show a number of smaller components that are not shown in the photos of the Kueen Sing Auto units on eBay. These smaller components appear to include the studs and top seals. In the Kueen Sing Auto photos on eBay, these components appear to be pre-installed in the unit. I'm looking forward to one of our members trying either the Aerosus or Kueen Sing Auto units and letting us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-10-2020 at 11:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (01-14-2020), EsRay (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Don,

Unfortunately the links you give appear to be for replacement bags for an X351? Puzzling really, since my understanding is that the X351 only has Air Suspension on the rear wheels?

Just before Christmas, I sent Aerosus the picture (above) of the fitting on the end of our Bilstein 'bags' and asked if the fitting on their replacement is the same. They replied that they would raise the matter with their 'Technical Department'; to date, I have not received a reply and accordingly, I sent them a reminder yesterday. Anyone have any ideas how we might be able to find out which Chinese company makes their replacement bags? Might be worth discussing this with them directly?

Last edited by EsRay; 01-09-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Don B (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 AM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

I sent a message to the eBay seller Kueen Sing Auto asking if he or she could send me the installation instructions and received a reply that they do not yet have written instructions but are working on them. I didn't ask about model compatibility but those air springs sure look like they might fit X350s.

The development of the Aerosus replacement air springs is encouraging, but I'm still pondering a method of repairing leaking top seals, since this seems to be the most common failure point thus far. I'm going to try an idea on a friend's X350 and will report back in a new thread.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (02-02-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

If these wind up being like those ignition coils i purchased from China,

We could be in for more good quality cheap Chinese parts for our cars.

That rival the quality of many stock factory parts.

Slave labor does help keep the price of products down.

Quick Reply: Air spring replacement parts