Air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension

Hi everyone!
I have a puzzling problem.
To summarize:
Two new Aerosus (sport) front shocks fitted. Two old original in the back. Now I get the damper firm error when I put the car into drive. Damper firm error goes away when I out it in park only to return the minute I start to drive. It seems that it is only the back that is firm when pushing the car. I have owned the car for 14 years so I now how it is supposed to feel.
Also I get no warnings on the dash.

I have previously changed the front shocks and it has worked everytime. Is there a chance that the new ones isn’t compatible with the old so the ASM discovers a fault? Any insights please?
When doing a live data reading I noticed that my two vertical accelerometers show different values when parked. Does anybody now what they should read nominally? Please see attached photo for the (extreme?) g-values.

Other than that I can see that the functions seem to work fine with solenoids engaging. Compressor is running fine etc. So all the ”basic” stuff has been checked like leaks, relays, fuses etc.

Any insights would help. Thank you!

Old 04-16-2024, 08:16 AM
Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Frukt
Hi everyone!
I have a puzzling problem.
To summarize:
Two new Aerosus (sport) front shocks fitted. Two old original in the back. Now I get the damper firm error when I put the car into drive. Damper firm error goes away when I out it in park only to return the minute I start to drive. It seems that it is only the back that is firm when pushing the car. I have owned the car for 14 years so I now how it is supposed to feel.
Also I get no warnings on the dash.

I have previously changed the front shocks and it has worked everytime. Is there a chance that the new ones isn’t compatible with the old so the ASM discovers a fault? Any insights please?
When doing a live data reading I noticed that my two vertical accelerometers show different values when parked. Does anybody now what they should read nominally? Please see attached photo for the (extreme?) g-values.

Other than that I can see that the functions seem to work fine with solenoids engaging. Compressor is running fine etc. So all the ”basic” stuff has been checked like leaks, relays, fuses etc.

Any insights would help. Thank you!

Can't see that any entity other than Aerosus has much chance at assisting.

There just aren't enough other installations being published to provide a clear assessment of how they are meant to function. EG: Functionally identical to the OEM as to damper modulation, or 'tricking' the electronics, only.

I isn't even clear that Aerosus is still viewing the product as having a future?

Just now visited their website, found the advert saying "Only 6 products left", as if production - or importation, perhaps of Suncore, out of China, is it? - has already ceased.

Along with the present issues, might you also riding on "orphans"?

Not sure if it is any help, but here is another German-based firm that has been around for a while, has units that look identical (from the outside, anyway) and probably will continue to be in the market:

https://www.miessler-automotive.com/...X358-2003-2009

No personal experience with either.

I'm saving my coin for OEM Bilsteins. Given how long the originals have served me well, my math says they are the cheaper option, not the costlier one.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-17-2024 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply!

I don’t think that Aerosus will disappear but I know that their shocks have been through some iterations so maybe this particular design is on the way out. The new ones differs a bit (visually) from my previous Aerosus shocks.
But as you mentioned going for original ones are many times better in the long run. Have never had any problems on my rear original shocks.

It is however a very strange the Damper-firm error that now has occurred. I have never experienced this after earlier shock swaps from the same manufacturer. And especially without any warnings lights or codes whatsoever. Of course if you get the plausability error or similar the car goes into firm mode. So…I really don’t know to start. Only found the somewhat crazy vertical acceleration values. Everything else is normal…

Old 04-17-2024, 05:49 AM
Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Frukt
Thank you for your reply!
Near-zero extra effort as I have been researching this for many years, already - hoping for cheaper solutions, same as anyone else!

Of late, abandoning the search for a way to RE-SEAL leaks at the top of OEM Bilsteins for the simple reason that even if I found a vacuum and autoclave method with an exotic polymer that held the "spring" bladder's air well?

The shock absorber INSIDE would still be rather worn-out once well past the 100,000 miles-not-kilometers mark!

Bilstein, of course made these units by the multiple MILLIONS, given how many German and Japanese makes had adopted them at two if not four per-each of ever-so-many cars. Jaguar one of the lesser players by unit-volume.

With that sort of market-share, there was money for R&D, QC, extensive testing, then manufacturing optimizations that an Arnott, or the like just cannot find the bank credentials to match or borrow.

I don’t think that Aerosus will disappear but I know that their shocks have been through some iterations so maybe this particular design is on the way out. The new ones differs a bit (visually) from my previous Aerosus shocks.
But as you mentioned going for original ones are many times better in the long run. Have never had any problems on my rear original shocks.

It is however a very strange the Damper-firm error that now has occurred. I have never experienced this after earlier shock swaps from the same manufacturer. And especially without any warnings lights or codes whatsoever. Of course if you get the plausability error or similar the car goes into firm mode. So…I really don’t know to start. Only found the somewhat crazy vertical acceleration values. Everything else is normal…
It is more complicated, in-total, on a Range Rover, driven by adding multiple selectable ride heights and far greater range of side-to-side leveling. But at least the air is air and the dampers are dampers, not wrapped into the same coaxial housing.

We get to pay large sums TWICE!

But also have more 'economy' options open as well.

It would not be a terrible hardship on the XJ8-L to go to front-only, or even ALL coilovers - I have a full set - merely "mediocre" ones, at best, but still - on standby already.

The Rover is a different case. No Fine Way I would give-up the sophisticated suspension of THAT one! Among other things, it is heavier and higher off the ground, so even glass-smooth highways would serve up maneuvering challenges the suspension manages very adroitly with no visible effort.

I'm baffled as to why your sensors are reading as they are. Might have nowt to do with the shocks, trace to wiring, grounds, age, wet, corrosion, or sensor degradation, rather?

Do, please, keep us posted.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-17-2024 at 05:54 AM.