XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

air suspension compressor mounting bushes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default air suspension compressor mounting bushes

hi all,
i think i know the answer to this question but shall ask it anyway,
after fitting bagpipe andy's piston ring fix to my compressor i noticed on refitting it that there was a hell of a vibration noise coming from it , i took it off again and noticed that the rubber bush ,spring mounts were about shot, my jag dealer said they are not a stock item and only come with the purchase of a new compressor, £496, has anyone come accross this problem and how did you solve it, is there a supplier that would have these that anyone knows of,
car is 2003 x350 3l petorl

Old 08-09-2016, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

Are you sure that you have fitted the rubber bushes correctly?

Is the body of the compressor touching something?

Ask the vendors of used compressors on e bay for rubbers?

Make replacements.

some info here:

http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/65z...uspension.html

Last edited by meirion1; 08-09-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:05 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

They look like the rubbers off the front anti roll bar on a old Renault Clio

Old 08-09-2016, 04:18 AM
Default Suspension

I have fitted the compressor correctly as per diagram , the two metal collars seem to touch inside the spring as if the springs are weak so I put 5mm rubber washers to space them apart a bit more but the vibration although better still seems to be there

Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

If you can take a photo and post on here then we can see what's wrong

Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

Another thought on this: I had a similar situation. After replacing the piston ring, the pump became noticeably vibrational and noisy. A year later I had the pump failure again.

Found out (after discussing with Andy) that the head of the pump was scored/abraded through the teflon coating. Once that happened the metal galled and ruined the new ring, lost compression. Replaced the head (from Andy) and a new ring, now it's silent, smooth, and only runs about 15 seconds before finishing. Worth checking, as I had no idea to check the quality of the bore before replacing the ring.

The following 2 users liked this post by mhamilton:
Don B (08-10-2016), meirion1 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:14 AM
Default Compressor vibration

I have managed to source some new springs for the mountings, will fit them when they come and post to say how I got on, they are0 .5 MM. thicker so won't compress as easy as the ones on it now so I'm hoping they will do the trick

Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by fingers
I have fitted the compressor correctly as per diagram , the two metal collars seem to touch inside the spring as if the springs are weak so I put 5mm rubber washers to space them apart a bit more but the vibration although better still seems to be there

Hi fingers,

The ends of the two shoulder washers/spacers are supposed to touch together when the nuts are tightened. They serve to establish the proper amount of wiggle room for the rubber bush and spring to absorb compressor vibrations. There should be no space between the ends of those shoulder washers or they will no doubt rattle around and against one another. Here's the sequence of components:

This photo shows the relationship of the bush/spring assemblies between the two mounting brackets:

If your rubber bushes are perished, you might be able to find a suitable replacement in the small parts area of an auto parts store. Our local O'Reilly carries various small rubber parts that might do the job.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
clifton94 (08-11-2016), philwarner (08-14-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Default Bushes

Thanks for the info and pictures don, much appreciated.
I thought that the collard washers were not meant to touch, so obviously I shall sort that. The first time I refitted the compressor I did screw the nuts right up so the collard washers were touching, I gave the compressor a wiggle and it just seemed to have too much movement, it seemed a little sloppy which made me think the springs were weak so I restretched them a little and put a 2 or 3mm rubber washer at the base of each collard washer to make the spring be of more tension when squashed and in turn hopefully stop the sloppy movement of the compressor.
I shall remove it again at the weekend and try it normal and if that doesn't work I shall put the new springs in that should have arrived by then, they are exactly the same dimensions as originals but just a bit harder to compress.
I'll post with an update when I'm done.
Many thanks again for your info

Old 08-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Default air suspension compressor bushes

Well i refitted the compressor without the extra rubber washers that i had put it and tightened it so that the two ends of the collard washers were touching and it seems to have worked although im sure i did exactly this at my first attempt, i still think there is too much sloppy movement in the compressor but maybe they are supposed to be like this, fingers crossed that should be the end of it

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-12-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

Sloppy is good.

I gave the body a good shake to test for noise after replacing compressor.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi fingers,

The ends of the two shoulder washers/spacers are supposed to touch together when the nuts are tightened. They serve to establish the proper amount of wiggle room for the rubber bush and spring to absorb compressor vibrations. There should be no space between the ends of those shoulder washers or they will no doubt rattle around and against one another.

If your rubber bushes are perished, you might be able to find a suitable replacement in the small parts area of an auto parts store. Our local O'Reilly carries various small rubber parts that might do the job.

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for the pics and description, Don.

Do you mean that the nuts should be run up until they are tight on all three mounting studs? When I took my pump off to do the piston ring they seemed too tight and let the pump bracket contact other metal. I also cleaned off some black sticky goo while I had it out and then realized the goo was there to act as an isolator between the top of the pump and the bracket, so I put it back and I didn't run the nuts up as far. before doing the ring replacement I'd had a rattle in the front that I don't have now, but it could have been the lower radiator cowl not being pushed up tight before.

I haven't noticed any undue pump vibration (and thankfully no more air suspension warnings or "reservoir plausibility" codes), but it just might not be apparent at driving speeds.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
Do you mean that the nuts should be run up until they are tight on all three mounting studs? When I took my pump off to do the piston ring they seemed too tight and let the pump bracket contact other metal.
Hi Phil,

Yes, the nuts should be run up tight, which brings the cylindrical ends of the shoulder washers into firm contact. The Workshop Manual lists the torque specification on the nuts as 15 ft. lbs., which would not be achievable unless the washers were in contact. The dual bracket mount, or what Jaguar calls the "isolation subframe," is designed so that all the compliance is provided by the springs and rubber bushings. The range of motion is limited by the two brackets, and the space between the brackets is defined by the shoulder washers.

I don't know why the bracket would come into contact with any other metal component - you might check to see if a bracket for another component is bent.

Cheers,

Don