XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension failure - where to get fixed in Northern VA

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM
DB6
ud
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default So the logical thing to do would be...

"However, I do have faith in the Chantilly Jaguar shop. They did work on my car when it was under warranty, plus one thing not under warranty, and I thought they did good work and were honest. I'd forgotten they have loaners, so that would take care of my transportation problem. Since there is only one recommendation for an indy shop, and it was a one time affair, I guess I'll go to Chantilly if I decide I need to take the car to the shop.

But for money reasons, I'd really like to fix this myself. Plus it makes me feel really good when I can do things myself."

I think you have answered your own question.
Take it to the dealer, let him diagnose the problem and give you a quote, and then make your mind up.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DB6 - you know, I think I'll go ahead and do that. The cost of the diagnoses will be worth it to know for sure what is wrong so I don't spend even more money replacing things that aren't the problem. I'm going to call them and see if I can drop off the car and get it looked at today.

I'll report back after they've diagnosed it; I'll probably need more advice on whatever it is that I end up having to fix.

Fraser - I put in the Kenwood last year (when I felt very flush with money from working so much overtime). I agree that the Jag stereo was very good, but it had no navigation and no bluetooth and no Ipod, or even simple USB, capability. I hate radio - too many commercials and music I don't like - and I love playing my Ipod every single time I'm in my car. I also love the navigation sytemd (it's Garmin) and I love having bluetooth.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
DB6
ud

Alice,
Good luck with it, ask if you can have the new XJ as a loaner...lol.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I hate radio - too many commercials and music I don't like - and I love playing my Ipod every single time I'm in my car. I also love the navigation sytemd (it's Garmin) and I love having bluetooth.
Sounds like you're like me, I HATE the stupid adverts ! Here in the UK we do have the BBC and they have a classical music channel and NO ADS !! I also use the CD player. Being an old crumbly, I don't even know what an Ipod is !!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Just wanted to update everyone.

I did go to the dealer. When I got there they said there was a $159 charge for diagnostics, which would be waived if they did the repair. I got some sort of small car for the loaner - all non-jags look alike to me.

They called a couple of hours later and said "the tech found an open in the power wire circuit to the air suspension control module." and "the broken wiring runs from under the rear seat carpet to the trunk" The cost was $580.

I really didn't want to spend that much money (another $421 in addition to the $159 I'd have to pay them if I didn't have them fix it), because I'm sure I could've repaired it myself, given enough time. But I decided to have them do it anyway because of there is so many things (mostly not happy things) taking up so much of my time right now.

The service receipt includes the fact that the wire runs from CR88-2 to CR81-2. I don't know what that means, but I suspect some people here do. So, to anyone that knows, how hard and how long would it have been to repair/replace the problem wiring myself? (and I'm hoping "very hard", "very long" so I don't feel so bad about spending that much money).

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

To replace the wiring would have required purchasing thousands of dollars of tools to cut the aluminum body structure and dissolving the bonding agents just to access the wiring from underneath the vehicle. Also, the leather seats can only be removed once as the bolts are disposable and no replacements are available without purchasing all new seats.

Feel better?

If this was really the problem, I'd say you got off pretty damn easy! Although I wonder how much damage you did to the suspension by leaving it broken for so long.

Who was your service adviser? Usually Caroline German helps me and she is the BEST!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
DB6
ud
Default I second what Alan says

$500.00 really is a dream to have your suspension back.
I would say that you did well and they treated you right.
These cars can have mind numbing repair bills at times.
You should go out and celebrate.
PS, feel free to thank me...lol.

Last edited by DB6; 06-30-2011 at 04:01 PM.