XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension fault

I have been driving jaguar for over 10 years and it seems that this particular jaguar, XJ 8 L 2005 seems to act up in the cold. recently, I noticed the air suspension fault light come on during the extreme cold days. It also takes a little longer for the car to rise. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this situation (btw, I have changed the relay and the fuse).

Old 01-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, just about every X350 owner can attest to the air suspension issues in temperatures below 40 degrees. Jaguar even mentions this in their training manual when describing the air suspension system.

Air is thinner as the temperature lowers.

Another possibility is your piston ring is worn.

Read up here on the forums - lots of information shared amongst the X350 owners and experts.

Since your new - please take a moment to post an intro in the "New Members Section" of the forum.

Welcome - Anthony

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Hi Muliebral,

As Anthony has mentioned, this is a very common issue for X350 owners. I think he's right that your air compressor piston ring is almost certainly worn. Fortunately, it's a relatively easy and inexpensive fix, using an affordable kit from forum member bagpipingandy (bagpipingandy.com).

It is also likely that you have one or more air leaks in the system. On our '04, the front right shock leaks from the top seal. Ordinarily, the compressor can keep the system charged despite the leak, but on cold days the compressor has more difficulty recharging the system.

The last couple of days it's been about 28F here in the morning when I've gone out to start the car. Both days I noticed the VEHICLE TOO LOW warning on the dash, so before I put the car in gear I just waited for the air compressor to come on and recharge the system. It took longer than usual for the compressor to come on - perhaps a full minute or more, but after it had run for the maximum two minutes alloted by the Air Suspension Control Module (ASM), the car had risen to its correct ride height and the VTL warning was extinguished. All that to say, you might try waiting when you first start the car until the air compressor has run and charged the system. If the first charge doesn't do the trick, turn off the engine, wait 45 seconds to cool the piston ring and cylinder in the compressor, then restart the engine and let the air compressor run again for however long the ASM will let it run. You may find that your car will now be at the correct ride height.

In the past, instead of waiting for the compressor to run, I've just put the car in gear and driven off, which has typically resulted in the AIR SUSPENSION FAULT warning on the dash. Waiting for the compressor to run its full duration before putting the car in gear usually solves the problem, but I've replaced the piston ring in our compressor. Your compressor may not work as efficiently as it should with a worn piston ring.

Here are links to photos showing how the piston ring is replaced. Most guys don't bother to replace the dessicant like I did:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

And as Anthony mentioned, please do visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers,

Don

Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts
Default Air becomes more dense as temperature lowers

Originally Posted by abonano
Welcome to the forums.

Yes, just about every X350 owner can attest to the air suspension issues in temperatures below 40 degrees. Jaguar even mentions this in their training manual when describing the air suspension system.

Air is thinner as the temperature lowers.

Another possibility is your piston ring is worn.

Read up here on the forums - lots of information shared amongst the X350 owners and experts.

Since your new - please take a moment to post an intro in the "New Members Section" of the forum.

Welcome - Anthony
Dont you mean "thicker" as the temperature lowers?

Old 01-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Dont you mean "thicker" as the temperature lowers?

I think either "Denser" or "more dense" would be the appropriate terms.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Note what I said in my title. I was simply using the opposite term to "thinner".
O fcourse your statement is correct.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Yes, denser when cold - the point is with lower temperatures any air suspension system deficiencies or leaks become more noticeable. thanks