XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Thats just takes too long and is not accurate. Which is why when i buy air spring cores i air test them and usually find 20% roughly are still good.
I would say just come see me and let me hook up gauges and we can tell for sure since it isolates each air spring without lines etc

Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I constructed and used Brutal's gauges and instructions. The process worked well and isolated the problem to the right front only. I replaced the defective shock with an Arnott unit and have had no further issues.

Go with Brutal for your service. It's money saved in the long run and immediate piece of mind gained. May cost you some more money but you got to ask yourself; "how's what I'm doing now working out?".

Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading all these posts, here is how my situation started any help would be much appreciated.
I go to leave work start the car and the TV screen(Radio/Navigation screen) scrolls like if the horizontal hold needs adjusting. (great here goes 2 grand) so I start the drive home, screen corrects itself. (relief) not for long the the spead display screen displays "Air suspension fault" then a few miles later no front suspension, it like its riding on springs. I have a lincoln navigator which I just had to replace the air suspension shocks so I know the feel and the cost (not Good).Next day I start the car screen is fine didnt scroll suspension rides fine no problems(great system corrects itself) so I thought, a week goes by taking daughter to school, turn on car TV screen does the vertical hold thing again, great start driving her to school "air suspension Fault" come on, I arive at her school, dont turn off the car and the red light comes on and now the display ready "car to low" the front end is on the ground. I turn off the car wait 2-3 minutes turn it back on and the front end lifts back up, tv screen didnt scroll everything is great. I know this is not good however and want a professional opinion. I am cheap so I take it to a foriegn car shor that specializes in Jaguars, Porsche, Bentlies etc... they read the computer do not divulge codes to me however state it read right front air spring $1589.00 total to fix. Dont have the room an the credit card to complete so I have to drive off with the car. I shopped around for the spring shock, wish i would have found this site first, and bought the arnauts however I was able to get the dealer to give me the online price of $862.00 for the right shock. Now reading all these posts I'm concerned doing it myself. I got the great picture examples from one of the previous posts however since I will be going to the air force base to use the hobby shop which has hydrolic lifts I am not clear on this blocking the suspension before turning off the car and disconecting the battery. Any help?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM

I have been reading all these posts, here is how my situation started any help would be much appreciated.
I go to leave work start the car and the TV screen(Radio/Navigation screen) scrolls like if the horizontal hold needs adjusting. (great here goes 2 grand) so I start the drive home, screen corrects itself. (relief) not for long the the spead display screen displays "Air suspension fault" then a few miles later no front suspension, it like its riding on springs. I have a lincoln navigator which I just had to replace the air suspension shocks so I know the feel and the cost (not Good).Next day I start the car screen is fine didnt scroll suspension rides fine no problems(great system corrects itself) so I thought, a week goes by taking daughter to school, turn on car TV screen does the vertical hold thing again, great start driving her to school "air suspension Fault" come on, I arive at her school, dont turn off the car and the red light comes on and now the display ready "car to low" the front end is on the ground. I turn off the car wait 2-3 minutes turn it back on and the front end lifts back up, tv screen didnt scroll everything is great. I know this is not good however and want a professional opinion. I am cheap so I take it to a foriegn car shor that specializes in Jaguars, Porsche, Bentlies etc... they read the computer do not divulge codes to me however state it read right front air spring $1589.00 total to fix. Dont have the room an the credit card to complete so I have to drive off with the car. I shopped around for the spring shock, wish i would have found this site first, and bought the arnauts however I was able to get the dealer to give me the online price of $862.00 for the right shock. Now reading all these posts I'm concerned doing it myself. I got the great picture examples from one of the previous posts however since I will be going to the air force base to use the hobby shop which has hydrolic lifts I am not clear on this blocking the suspension before turning off the car and disconecting the battery. Any help?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

My 04 XJ8 VDP's suspension was leaking for a few weeks, I read all the post on here and other sites and could not find the problem. I thought about it for a while and considered that to located an air leak in a tire, the best solutiuon is to pour soapy water on it and look for bubbles. I did just that and found the air leak at the brass fitting on the left front shock mount. pulled it off, replaced both O-rings and no air leaks as yet. Next, I have to replace my HIDs and the left front park lamp.

The following users liked this post:
XK8+XJ8L (11-19-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile air compression fault

Hi all,
over the last couple of years have had the "air compression fault" coming up intermitently. I have posted a number of times and recieved some good info. My service crowd could not find the problem and so in the end I bit the bullet and had a new compressor put in..and Yep that fixed it ...evidently the duty cycle was too long on the old compressor.
They would have put a relay #4 in if they could find out where it is. Although I have the relay (the numbers dont match up with anything) and I still have no idea where it goes. However I am happy to report that although the vehicle rides significantly lower than it was before by about an 1" the suspension seems fine and no more annoying symbols on the display.
Thanks to all those that offered suggestions

Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Default Air Suspension Fault coupled with Navigation/stereo/climate control screen(TV) Issue

Well it been 2 weeks now since the Air Fault error follwoed by the Vehicle to low error. Turning of the car and restarting it took care of it that day. However that had been the second time in as many weeks that the Air Fault error had occured. All of the instances had occured after turning on the vehicle after a 8 or so hours of sitting, both instances on cold days, well cold for Vegas(40 degrees) once outside, the other time in my garage. However, in both occurances when I started the car the TV screen ( the center screen that is the nav/radio/climate control center) lost its horizontal hold at start up. then after 3 or 4 miles down the road the air fault error. The last two week no problems with the suspension no errors, even though I bought a new factor air spring from the dealer that is still sitting in my trunk in the box unopened. waiting for me to get time to go to the auto shop to repair myself. However the tv screen every other day or so has the horizontal hold issues in the morning at start up it corrects itself within 3-10 seconds and just in case after it does I turn off the car and restart it before I leave. Does any one have any clue what could cause this? I am about ready to take it to the dealership, because I am loosing confidence in the diagnosis made by a foriegn auto repair shop in town. They said right froont Air Sprin $1500 to fix, therefore the shock in a box in the trunk of my car.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
Air compressor (remanufactured from Jaguar) was about $280 for me plus 2 hours labor (another $230).
if you dont mind me asking where did you get it for 280?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Suspension Fault

Sometimes you just live with Fault Messages!!
Here is my experiences with my 2004 XJ8
  • Bought car in November 2009
  • December, 2009 First cold day: Suspension Light comes ON
  • ABS Fault Light comes on also (therefore no speed control)
  • Dealer (Non Jaguar) cannot read fault codes
  • Mpls Jaguar does complete analysis for $800 - no fix offered
  • Off to Florida Vacation - Lights go off when we get to Illinois where it is warmer
  • Florida - No lights
  • Back to Wisconsin in March - Temperature at 20 deg - Both fault lights on
  • Local mechanic cleans and lubricates rear ABS switch contacts - ABS Light off permanently
  • Summer - NO suspension faults
  • Winter Returns: 20 deg or lower - suspension fault light again
  • Florida again - No suspension light when temp gets above 35 deg
  • Back to Wisconsin - Light comes on when we cross the border and approach Madison - no kidding!
  • Warm weather in Wisconsin: no suspension fault
  • October: Ask local mechanic to clean and lube sensor contacts for suspension
  • November - December: Unusually warm weather - Suspension lights off for two weeks
  • SOMETIMES YOU JUST IGNORE THE FAULT LIGHTS!
Originally Posted by Aldo M Martinez
Well it been 2 weeks now since the Air Fault error follwoed by the Vehicle to low error. Turning of the car and restarting it took care of it that day. However that had been the second time in as many weeks that the Air Fault error had occured. All of the instances had occured after turning on the vehicle after a 8 or so hours of sitting, both instances on cold days, well cold for Vegas(40 degrees) once outside, the other time in my garage. However, in both occurances when I started the car the TV screen ( the center screen that is the nav/radio/climate control center) lost its horizontal hold at start up. then after 3 or 4 miles down the road the air fault error. The last two week no problems with the suspension no errors, even though I bought a new factor air spring from the dealer that is still sitting in my trunk in the box unopened. waiting for me to get time to go to the auto shop to repair myself. However the tv screen every other day or so has the horizontal hold issues in the morning at start up it corrects itself within 3-10 seconds and just in case after it does I turn off the car and restart it before I leave. Does any one have any clue what could cause this? I am about ready to take it to the dealership, because I am loosing confidence in the diagnosis made by a foriegn auto repair shop in town. They said right froont Air Sprin $1500 to fix, therefore the shock in a box in the trunk of my car.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You ignore them or find someone who knows what he is doing. You have a leak or a weak compressor or both.

Not rocket science.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM

I have a 2004 xj8 that the frount air ride lowers when the temp outside goes under 35 deg f . I have to start the car and let it warm up to operating temp turn it off and on again , then the car will raise back up . it was fine all summer and only does this in winter. I had a new compressor installed last sep by dealer. Sometimes when i walk up to the car on a cold morning and hit the remote unlock button the car will start to dump the air in the frount suspension only. Has anyone had this happen and what's a good fix?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Can you say coilovers? One of the many reasons mine are going away.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
Can you say coilovers? One of the many reasons mine are going away.
So you had the compressor replaced and it is still doing that??? So maybe I shouldn't replace it just yet. This is crazy that these cars do this in the cold... Do you hear a noise ? Which I'm pretty sure is coming from the air compressor? Sounds like a damn jackhammer ....!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Didn't have it replaced. Replaced it myself. Changed one air bag and now another one is leaking. I am going to be one of the first coilover test pilots.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Default Air ride

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
So you had the compressor replaced and it is still doing that??? So maybe I shouldn't replace it just yet. This is crazy that these cars do this in the cold... Do you hear a noise ? Which I'm pretty sure is coming from the air compressor? Sounds like a damn jackhammer ....!!!
I had to replace the compressor because it burnt out. They didnt find any air leaks. It was 37 deg this morning and car hight was fine. It is intresting that it only happen's around frezzing point. I am wondering if it is moisture in a senser frezzing.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Default Air Suspension Fault

I have a 2004 Vanden Plaus, This year I experienced the same problem with my Jag, Cold weather does not seem to be a Jags friend when she ages. It appears that the air bags in the strut over the years gets old and less pliable. In the summer heat the bags stay pliable and the ring that holds them in place secure however in the winter the cold hardens the rubber bag and contracts which causes minor leaks that tend to remedy themselves when the vehicle warms up. However, that said it is an indication that the strut has reached its life span and should be replaced. I replace the right front this year, just last month. I was able to buy it from the dealership online and pick it up at the dealership for $860.00 then I drove the car in for service with the strut in the trunk and had the 10K service done and had them check the strut. They ran it through the computer and came up with the right front strut fault code. The labor for the strut was only $190.00 plus the $100.00 service and $50 for the cabin filters I was out the door for $398.00. I could have done it myself with all the posts but I got to tell you Gaudin Jaguar in Vegas Rocks they really take care of their customers and for $200 labor, I am not going through all the hassles

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 AM

I have a 2005 Vanden Plaus, I started getting yellow suspension warning lights this year(only when temp goes below 35). Car doesn't sink over night so I think it's time for a new compressor. Oh my jag has 108k miles and still all original suspension shocks and compressor. My question is Arnott compressor doen't seem to have filters attached to the compressor on the picture. Does it come with new filters or do I have to use old ones from the old compressor? If so where do I get the new filters? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 PM

I have yet another question regarding suspension. This time on an 2005 XJR with 90k miles and it seems only on the left front corner. When SLOWLY going over a speed bump (under 5 mph), the bottom of the frame under the driver door will actually scrape the speed bump. It seems that the shock absorber cannot rebound fast enough. The front left side also is not working properly at slow to moderate speed. I have had an independent Jag garage look at the problem, could not find anything, no problem with overnight leakdown test and told me to wait for suspension error codes (hasn't been any). I live in the San Francisco Bay so no cold weather to blame here. Are there other suspension parts in front that could be worn and causing this problem. The front passenger side does not seem to be having the same problem.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Baffled in the Bay Area

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jags
i had to replace the compressor because it burnt out. They didnt find any air leaks. It was 37 deg this morning and car hight was fine. It is intresting that it only happen's around frezzing point. I am wondering if it is moisture in a senser frezzing.
no but the inlet has a water air seperator and guess what. When it freezes so does any water acumulated in the filter blocking the inlet to the compressor

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Hey, i have a 2001 jaguar s-tpype 4.0 and i'm having a problem with my pick up. The code that it's giving is p1587 and i just cant seem to figure it out. it reads pcm to throttle actuator control modgule throttle command. I'm not sure if it's the tps sensor or the throttle actuator itself. Please can some one help me figure this out because it's killing me. lol

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault