XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle too low

I am a (female) newbie and have written about this in the past. My Air Suspension Fault light only comes on when I leave my 2005 VDP outside and the temperature is below 50 degrees F. I cannot garage my vehicle any longer because of a move and this week, when I went to leave early in the morning, I got the "Vehicle too low" message, pulled over, turned the car off, waited a few minutes and continued on. On the highway, the light came on again, so I pulled over and the front of the car was really low.

It only happens when left over night in the cold night air. Because of pending divorce, I cannot afford any expensive repairs. I have read all the other Air Suspension Fault suggestions and am hoping that it is Relay #4. ;-) Is it a clue that just the front is low? Would that be leaking front shocks?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Default Relay replacement - did it work?

Just curious, did this fix your problem? I have the same make/model as you and the exact same problem.

Thank you.
Wonder Jagwoman

Originally Posted by 01xk
My 05 XJ8 VDP has started the air suspension thing. If it is cold at night, the front suspension is on the ground and won't come up. But when the temp outside warms up, eveything works fine (so far).

I figured I would change the air suspension relay just to get the cheaper part out of the way, then check for leaks and then go ahead and replace the compressor.

Just to let eveyone know, when I went to replace the relay the Jaguar dealer gave me a Ford part that was cheaper (they said it was a new part to replace my old part number). My old part number for the relay was LJA6707AA (Jaguar) and the new replacement Ford part is either V231136-A1-X64 or 5M5T 14B192 DA (both are stamped on the relay). Cost at Jaguar was about $7.

If you are stuck somewhere and the relay is the issue you may be able to find the Ford part easier.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by emediex
i am a (female) newbie and have written about this in the past. My air suspension fault light only comes on when i leave my 2005 vdp outside and the temperature is below 50 degrees f. I cannot garage my vehicle any longer because of a move and this week, when i went to leave early in the morning, i got the "vehicle too low" message, pulled over, turned the car off, waited a few minutes and continued on. On the highway, the light came on again, so i pulled over and the front of the car was really low.

It only happens when left over night in the cold night air. Because of pending divorce, i cannot afford any expensive repairs. I have read all the other air suspension fault suggestions and am hoping that it is relay #4. ;-) is it a clue that just the front is low? Would that be leaking front shocks?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
when the front or rear is down you have a leak. Leave it too long and the air compressor is worked to death and gets weak. If you think the relay(or you hope) is bad swap it and another around. Ive seen relay contacts get burned and keep the compressor from running. But useally a leaking spring is the start of the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Emediex (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Default Leak?

Originally Posted by Brutal
when the front or rear is down you have a leak. Leave it too long and the air compressor is worked to death and gets weak. If you think the relay(or you hope) is bad swap it and another around. Ive seen relay contacts get burned and keep the compressor from running. But useally a leaking spring is the start of the problem.
It is not down all the time, just when I leave it out in the cold overnight and I start it the next morning and get the "Vehicle Too Low" message.

Thank you for your response, though.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same exact identical problem as I live in New York City and the winter that just passed was blistering cold! I would come out after leaving it overnight and BAM there was the front left on the floor. After much research and going nuts I finally replaced the 2 front shocks from an aftermarket place I can't remember . I found it here in the forums . I can check my jaguar folder for the name. After that my problem was gone. But I must tell you shock replacement is the only solution . In the real world that's what fixed my problem. Now I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall but trust me I wouldn't take the time out to write a whole paragraph to try and help you. I also love my new Jaguar family so that may also be part of it. Best of luck to you any way ma'am and let us know what happens. I will pray that I am wrong and it's just a cheap relay or whatever ...

Emediex (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing w me it would only happen under 40 f and it would be the front left . I decided to replace both of them because they were cheap with a lifetime warranty and a mechanic recommended I change them both as the right one was leaking just a bit. I had these things tested over and over again I went to like 4 different places and did multiple hours of research ...

Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
I had the same exact identical problem as I live in New York City and the winter that just passed was blistering cold! I would come out after leaving it overnight and BAM there was the front left on the floor. After much research and going nuts I finally replaced the 2 front shocks from an aftermarket place I can't remember . I found it here in the forums . I can check my jaguar folder for the name. After that my problem was gone. But I must tell you shock replacement is the only solution . In the real world that's what fixed my problem. Now I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall but trust me I wouldn't take the time out to write a whole paragraph to try and help you. I also love my new Jaguar family so that may also be part of it. Best of luck to you any way ma'am and let us know what happens. I will pray that I am wrong and it's just a cheap relay or whatever ...
It may also have to do with something call a leveler? Is there something like that? I hadn't had the problem for a long time (it's summer, after all) and I parked it on an incline (rear side up) at a friend's cabin. Intuitively, I think it is the relay causing the compressor to work harder, as described by the posting above. Also, I had the car completely checked out when I got an oil change before going on the road trip and they said everything was fine. (This was not at an authorized Jag shop, however.)

Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM

I saw in another post that the Relay #4 part can be as cheap as $7! I'd like to try that first, as I have been fortunate to be able to take care of the car myself this past year by reading this forum and doing things myself like topping off fluids and using good oil filters. I read that the Relay can be found behind the rear seats. Does anyone have a diagram of that fuse box (or whatever it is) so that I can make sure I replace the correct part?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM

The relay wont make the compressor work harder. It makes it not work, a air leak makes it work harder. if a ride height sensor that bolts to the lower control arms front and rear is broken it can do the same thing. If it thinks its higher than it is it will lower the car.
The air suspension relay is in the engine compartment fuse box in front of the passenger shock tower

Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

Emediex,
As you undoubtedly have a leak, be sure to only replace the culprit part. Some shops try to replace parts that don't need replacing. At jaguarforums I noticed this:
Remanufactured Front Air Suspension Shock (comfort suspension) for 2004-2010 XJ Series XJ Series
However, I know nothing about these guys or their product. Perhaps someone else cares to comment?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by guy
emediex,
as you undoubtedly have a leak, be sure to only replace the culprit part. Some shops try to replace parts that don't need replacing. At jaguarforums i noticed this:
remanufactured front air suspension shock (comfort suspension) for 2004-2010 xj series xj series
however, i know nothing about these guys or their product. Perhaps someone else cares to comment?
i sell cores to them, theyre a good compny, and i also have a new front airspring and 1 used $625 and $200 shipped respectively

Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Incidentally, as you look at the car on the road and identify yourself that it is too low:
Do not turn the ignition off. Leave The Car Running, in Park.
It is in this running state that the compressor will work and raise the car to the correct level... if possible.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:14 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Brutal,
Nice prices! Emediex, there is nothing wrong with Used, should that suit your problem and budget.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Always a great read! Bump

Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Air Suspension Problem

Hi All,

Last week I got what I considered to be a GREAT deal on a 2005 VDP - only 21,000 miles on it, and it looks in almost showroom condition.

A couple of mornings this week when the temps dropped to near freezing, I got the "Air Suspension Fault" warning, and a few miles down the road, "Vehicle Too Low". After pulling over, turning the car off, and restarting it after a minute or so, everything seemed back to normal.

Just looking at the car, I don't see anything abnormal-looking about the ride height or anything, but it did seem that the ride suddenly got pretty rough when the warnings showed up (maybe all in my head). I did not have the opportunity to measure the height while the warnings were showing.

Had the car parked for about the last 20 hours, and I went out and measured it. From pavement to the fender lip at the mid-point of the wheel was 28" +/- 1/4" on all four wheels. Started it up and let it run for ~5 minutes, and saw no change.

Can anyone tell me what the nominal height should be??? Tyres (j/k, I'm American) are 235/50 R18 Michelins.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I wouldn't worry about air suspension warnings in cold weather.As the air is colder it is denser.The suspension must rise by a set amount in the first few minutes or so. If it doesn't you get the warnings. Even with the compressor working at max in cold temps it sometimes isn't enough to raise the car enough in the short time to avoid the warnings with the air being more dense and therefore having to work harder to raise the car.
Happened on mine during cold weather last year and never came back once the temp rose.

Last edited by BuckMR2; 12-15-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Kilowatt3 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Unfortunately you will find that the front air shocks on the X350 and X358 have a nasty habit of being very temperature sensitive. As you have all found out as the temperature drops the front shocks loose air. If not looked after expeditiously your will burn out your compressor.

When it happened to my car I did not waste time. I purchased the modified shocks from Arnotts at around $370 each and fitted them to find that my problem was completely solved. Unlike the Jaguar ones these do not seem to be effected by the lower temperatures at all.

Hope this helps.

Kilowatt3 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air Spring suspensions do not do well in cold weather. I have two ford products with air spring suspensions, one is my 2004 Vanden Plas the other is my Navigator. I first experienced the cold issue with the Navigator in the snow, when I go sking. The suspension would freeze and not raise until it warmed up. So I finally got sick of it and bought a spring shock aftermarket kit and no problems since. I have been looking for the same fix for the Jaguar, since 1300 a shock installed is not my idea of fun.

Looking at the previous post, I wonder if the arnot is a spring shock modification or just another air spring shock...

Also unfortunately the Jag is not fond of cold weather on other issues, you may also experience a navigation screen scroll problem when it gets cold. have not been able to get any information on it through this site.

Kilowatt3 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM

^^^ arnot sells remanned air spring, their own version with new tops/shock/and air spring. And then they also sell a conversion kit with new shocks and coils. But you do have to send back your old airsprings for cores for the remanned factory airsprings

Kilowatt3 (12-21-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bump!

Originally Posted by Kilowatt3
Hi All,

Last week I got what I considered to be a GREAT deal on a 2005 VDP - only 21,000 miles on it, and it looks in almost showroom condition.

A couple of mornings this week when the temps dropped to near freezing, I got the "Air Suspension Fault" warning, and a few miles down the road, "Vehicle Too Low". After pulling over, turning the car off, and restarting it after a minute or so, everything seemed back to normal.

Just looking at the car, I don't see anything abnormal-looking about the ride height or anything, but it did seem that the ride suddenly got pretty rough when the warnings showed up (maybe all in my head). I did not have the opportunity to measure the height while the warnings were showing.

Had the car parked for about the last 20 hours, and I went out and measured it. From pavement to the fender lip at the mid-point of the wheel was 28" +/- 1/4" on all four wheels. Started it up and let it run for ~5 minutes, and saw no change.

Can anyone tell me what the nominal height should be??? Tyres (j/k, I'm American) are 235/50 R18 Michelins.

Thanks in advance!
Hello again, fellows,

I'm bumping this thread in hopes someone can respond to my question regarding the nominal ride height. I don't really see any variation in the height of my car whether it's running, sitting, or has been sitting for a while.

Any insights appreciated.

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault