XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drew, sure lay that person on me. I was considering a guy out in mokena, but that is way far, I live around the airport, so south holland is not that bad compared to mokena.

JSherid, thanks for the $, I found some place on the internet that charges $400 for the compressor, but not sure if there are other charges.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Import Auto Group
44 W 168th St, South Holland, IL 60473
(708) 225-0140

Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am having the air suspension fault on my 2004 XJR. It comes and goes. I took it to a mechanic to diagnose the problem. Car has 88,000 miles.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Drew, thanks. Now its seems fine today, no fault light and although the red light warning that the car was too low came on, after a couple of minutes it went off and the car drove fine. I will hit that guy and have him do what H20 suggested first along with some other routine maintenance that needs to be done.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Chances are it has a C2303 - Reservoir plausibility error. The relay contacts are likely burned up, due to the compressor amperage being too high as it fails....most times, the compressors are noisy as well. New relay and compressor are in order if this is the case. I have seen instances of an air spring leaking....and sometimes only under very cold conditions! Can be tough to find. The tubing and valve blocks/reservoirs are robust, and I have seen VERY few failures. HTH.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagtec1:
chemosabe (02-04-2022), dbrown (07-25-2011)
Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Hot dam! That's the kind of informed observation and insite we crave.

Stay with us Jagtec1.

The following users liked this post:
chemosabe (02-04-2022)
Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 AM

Car seems totally fine today. My father in law had a theory, I did take the car to get it washed at one of those automatic places, and it does wash the under carriage of the car, he thinks that it might have frozen something underneath briefly and that could have caused the fault light issue. Its been really cold here so it might seem possible. The car was totally fine today and the weather got up to 35, no fault light at all.

Drew, btw that mechanic rocks, wow you were not kidding, what a great guy! He calmed me down about the car and I will be seeing him next week for some service. Man wish I had known about him before i got hosed on the 1400 throttle body replacement.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 AM

Jagprog, you must have talked to Bob. He's very honest and positive. I've noticed he always focus on the positive and moves forward to find solutions. This is the type of guy I want in the garage. I have been the only one to work on my cars for 16 years until I met him. He's the reason why I bought an 04 XJR. I loved this car for 10 years and was looking for a 96-97 or 03. He told me to buy the 04 or new because it will never get old driving one. I haven't looked back since.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM

Jagtec1, THANKS FOR THE INFO!! I think that is the code that came up on my 04. I might try and change the relay, if it's a servicable one. That's alot cheap than a pump. If I lived on the East Coast you would be my mechanic. It's hard to find people who are willing to give technical information out for free. Some feel it's like taking food out of there own mouth. I'm sure you have paided alot for you education and time working on these car everyday. To me, it shows you have integrity and character.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Ya'll know if you go back and read this thread, all us techs say the same thing, but yet this thread is 2 yrs old, start on page 1 and youll find info just keeps getting repeated. Common issues, common solutions(if you work on jags)

Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM

2004 -2009 XJR or XJ8 AIR SUSPENSION REPAIR,,, Note XJR uses the sport Suspension...Air Suspension Part... $1500/wheel from the dealer... see this site below ... for $399/wheel and they come with a LIFETIME warranty. Just ordered some and will try to update this after they have been installed... PS... cost to install is $329 here in Humble, TX.... Makes what would be a costly repair a LOT less painful.... Hope this provides some relief to those faced with an Air Suspension repair problem.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...20_pid136.html

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Stay,

Do keep us posted on how the Arnott shocks work out for you. I'm on the verge of replacing 1 or more of my shocks and I'm looking for some insite on the quality of these rebuilds.

In fact, I have started a new thread on the subject . $399 against $1500 is an important savings.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Tarheal,
These shocks are working fine. No problems so far and I suspect that with a Lifetime warranty... I will never need to replace them again. They seem to be much more robust than the original equipment.... Ride is the same.
Steve

Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

This is encouraging news. I've purchased air compressors from Arnott and I am very pleased with them, but have not had occasion yet to try their air springs.

Best,

Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Ive read through this thread and several others extensively but I cant seem to find a match for the issue Im having. Forgive me if I somehow missed it somewhere. Here's the problem...

Last Friday while driving home, I made a slightly more robust than normal left hand turn. The Air Suspension Fault like came on. I pulled over and restarted but the light stayed on. I drove the rest of the night for several more hours, restarting the car several times, but the light persisted. However, the ride height was not affected and the ride itself was still smooth.

The next day after having the car sit overnight, I restarted and the light was gone! Height and ride quality was the same. Usually, when shutting off the engine and locking the car, the shocks or air compressor would exhale for a few moments and the car would lower just a bit. It no longer does this after the fault.

Driving the rest of the week I noticed that the ride was becoming harsher, especially at freeway speeds, however the light never came back on. My usual mechanic scanned the computer and could not find any fault codes. They checked out the air suspension components and could not find any problems. But the ride continues to be EXTREMELY harsh, as if Im riding on 20" rims with just a sliver of tyre. Its very annoying and at freeway speeds it just does not feel safe. The vibrations come thru the steering wheel and the pedals like Ive never felt before. And yet the height of the car is still normal.

I have not yet checked/replaced the relay under the bonnet, but Ill try that this week.

Also, I noticed that my steering wheel and seat no longer self adjust. It just stopped doing it all of sudden once the ride became harsh. Could this be battery related?

Sorry for the long post.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Also, I noticed that my steering wheel and seat no longer self adjust. It just stopped doing it all of sudden once the ride became harsh. Could this be battery related?
Sorry for the long post.
On this one, be sure you haven't turned the switch on the steering column to manual.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, hlgeorge, that did the trick as far as the auto adjust.

No one else has any insight into my air suspension trouble??

I checked the No1 relay in the hood fuse box and it wasnt plugged in properly. I pushed it back in and for a while the car was driving like normal. I thought I had found the problem, until suddenly the ride became very harsh again on the freeway. There is still no noticeable difference in height. I'll try completely replacing the relay next, but any help/advice is definitely welcome.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Try swapping the relay with another like relay. If the suspension is back, be sure the one you swapped is working what ever you swapped it with.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

I'll try that, hlgeorge. This may be a silly question, but is there a difference between the black and tan coloured relays? I'm pretty new to car electronics.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Default air suspension stiffness

[quote=XJ8JR;220124]Thanks, hlgeorge, that did the trick as far as the auto adjust.

No one else has any insight into my air suspension trouble??

My 04 XJR occasionally exhibits the same very stiff suspension problem. In my case it only happens when the DSC Unavailable message comes on and disappears when I turn the engine off and then restart. Several mechanics including the Jaguar dealer have been unable to diagnose it because it doesn't leave any error codes.

I believe the stiffness is caused by the air system going to full pressure. If your car does it all the time, it should be easy to diagnose it. The air suspension system is complicated, but there must be a couple of things that could cause it, maybe the pressure sensor or the relay to the compressor. If the pressure relief valve is bad, get it fixed immediately. You may be overpressurizing the air springs and overworking the compressor, which could get very expensive.

If anyone can tell me how the DSC is related to the air suspension system, I would appreciate it. I have asked before and gotten no answer. Maybe the yaw control uses differential air pressure in the shocks to control roll?

Thanks
Tallbird

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault