XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also having a similar issue, a while back the "vehicle too low" light came on then went away. The light didn't come on for a while so i didn't think anything of it. Later the "vehicle too low" light started coming when I first started the car but it would shut itself off after the car was running for a little while. Now I notice the front of the car sits really low and the "vehicle too low light" comes on and sometimes turns in to "air suspension fault". If I shut the car off then turn it back on the "air suspension fault" goes away but it usually comes back shortly.

Yesterday i drove the car around and let it level out and when I got home I disconnected the battery and measured the height of the fenders. This morning (9 hours later) i went out and the rear was fine but the front had dropped about 2 inches and i think if i would have checked later it would have been even lower. I have noticed that when i don't use the car for a whole day it is almost sitting on the ground.

So I got a bottle of soapy water and sprayed down the two lines at the top of the front air springs and also sprayed down the distribution block in the trunk and got no signs of a leak.

Then I disconnected the passenger side air spring, capped it and started the car. The compressor came on lifting the driver side a little then shut off. About 35 seconds later the compressor came back on for about 20 seconds then shut off for another 35 seconds.

Then I reconnected the passenger side air spring, disconnected the driver side air spring capped it and it did the same thing just on the opposite side. The time intervals for the compressor coming on and shutting off were the same as well.

I plugged the line with my finger when I heard the compressor come on but that might not be acceptable.

Also when I turn the car on after its been sitting for a few hours the compressor comes on for 1 minute and 10 seconds straight then it starts with the intervals like i mentioned above.

By the way when I get the "air suspension fault" while im driving, if i put the car in neutral and shut it off and then start it back up the fault will go away, the car seems to raise it self back up and the ride is much smoother. But its not long till the ride becomes bumpy and the light comes back on.

What is the next step?

I don't want to take it to the dealer cause I recently lost my job but I am a competent mechanic so if I can find out what the problem is I can fix it.

Please I can't drive this car like this anymore I have to get it fixed!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

When you disconnected the battery(i prefer to unplug the connector on the dist block and not have to reset windows and clock etc) you dissable the air suspension modules ability to raise/maintain each corner. Based on your "both fronts sat 2" lower" i would say you have 2 bad front shocks. (otherwise 1 corner would be down and the other still up) Dont keep driving or running the compressor cause youll just burn it out too. See other posts about where to get air springs cheaper. No need to program anything when you replace them only replace them then give the car time to fill(and yes sometimes you have to cycle the key a few times and drive the car down the street before it raises. (i use jaguars ids but thats not avail to you)

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 AM

(i use jaguars ids but thats not avail to you)
What are "jaguars ids" just wondering? What should I search, I tried a few things but i couldn't find anything?

Last edited by 04vdp; 08-19-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM

integrated diagnostic system its just basiclly a Jaguar specific(aka Ford designed ) program on a Tuffbooks laptop. And yes the program is very expensive and now being phased out by Tata Motors since they no longer want to pay Ford Millions(orwhatever the amount is, but it must be alot since they are/have developed SDD) for license.
Its just how we tecks go in and diag, reads codes, program, and do function test. And commands like fill front spring, deflate rear, transportation mode/customer mode, fill reserversvoir etc.......

Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM

Ok, thanks for the help. I was looking around and the only replacement springs I found are the Arnott ones. Are those the cheapest ones? They are $400 a piece.

Also I was wondering where the most common place for the air spring to leak is, and if I could check it with a bottle of soapy water just to be 100% sure that that is the problem?

Thanks again!

Last edited by 04vdp; 08-19-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: puctuation
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM

I was wondering where the most common place for the air spring to leak is, and if I could check it with a bottle of soapy water just to be 100% sure that that is the problem?

Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

From the X350 training manual:

Leak Detection
Do not use water and soap liquid to locate faults as this can be drawn into the system and cause problems further down the line.

A leak detection spray can be obtained for the purpose of testing for air leaks.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow. Great thread. Lots of good information here. Thanks to all.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Ok thanks, I will go get some leak solution but is there a way to check the spring itself for leaks before I buy new ones?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Miguel first havwent you checked by disc battery? Thats basicllypart of Jagaurs diag. measure suspension, disc air susp valve block elect connector and leave over night so its not able to air up a leaking shock. measure and see which corner or end has dropped.
Many times when lifting Iv eheard air escaping from a shock as Im raising or lowering it on the lift and thats pretty telltale too
I can tell you that in the 6 years that the cars been out Ive seen 1 leaking air line from chaffing(and the car was wrecked previouslt and not enough attention paid in full repair)
all the rest are air springs and mostly the fronts. The diag involves determining which one/ones and if the compressor is filling the reservoir correctly

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM

Yes I disc'd the battery and the the front dropped two inches on both sides.

The first post on this page explains everything I have done to try and diagnose the problem.

I just want to see if there is somewhere where I can spray the solution and visually see the air spring leak!

Times are tight and I would feel a lot better if I could see both the springs leaking before ordering the new ones($400 plus $150 core each) so I know it will fix the problem.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 XJ6. I have the 'air suspension light' coming on. It seems to happen after I have parked for less than one hour ...when I get back in and drive it comes on about a kilometer down the road. Stick it in the garage overnight and its gone again and providing I keep driving or stop for at least an hour the light stays off. I have had it in on the computer ... all fittings and lines checked leak detection spray statci leak test for 3 hours no leaks found "client to monitor" dont fancy paying for that again. I live in warm climate so doubt its nothing to do with temp.

Any suggestions why this is only happening after being driven then stopped for 10 to 40 minutes and then driven again.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

bezants, first of all...welcome to the forum (your first post). Did you by chance read thru the entire thread, after all it is 132 posts long?

This is the most comprehensive air suspension thread we have, and appears to have every angle for diagnosis and repair approach. The look could be so small and intermittently causing the failure. But based on the components in the system, it can't be too many things.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Default Thnks for the welcome

Thanks ,20boy
I have just signed on as new member and as yet have not waded through the posts on the air suspension faults but I am sure they will be helpful.
not sure what you meant by "The look could be so small and intermittently causing the failure" but will start going through the posts to see what I come up with.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 PM

I suspect that was a typo for "the leak". Let us know if you find a previous message that answers your problem.

Tallbird
04XJR

Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Wink Air suspension fault

Good information thanks. I have a suspicion that my fault a few posts back is a very small leak in the left rear shock as I can see a slight oil mark on the concertina rubber cover. Not looking forward to a pop though! Mine has only done 50,000 kilometers (30,000 miles) so hopefully I have a while to go before the wallet comes out.

Originally Posted by jwhite1
I am new to this forum and I have seen many references to air suspension faults. I have a 2004 XJ8 and about a month ago I heard a pop and thought I blew a tire. It turned out to be the driver's side front air shock. The dealer intially told me the part would cost $1400 and they recommended replacing both front end shocks. After labor this was going to cost me around $3500 through the dealer. I contacted Arnott and they said that there was no need to replace both. I ended up buying a single remanufactured shock from Arnott for $550 and got a $150 refund when I returned the old part. The old part showed a spectacular failure in that the rubber housing around the bag was completely shredded. I ended up having the dealer install the Arnott part so in total I paid $800 including parts and labor. I found it interesting that the Jaguar dealer was willing to install an after market remanufactured shock. I figure if the other shock blows at some point in the future I will just use Arnott again.

The Arnott shock looks stronger than the original and supposedly has a lifetime warranty. According to the dealer Jaguar recommends replacing both of the original shocks after 60,000 miles (I have 72,000 miles on my XJ8). So clearly the original air shocks are not of very good quality. While it has only been one month I am fairly confident in this new shock and I believe I am better off than if I had paid $1000 more for another inferior factory shock.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Just in case anyone is thinking about doing the repair here is the link to a thread where I put pictures and instructions for replacing air springs.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=35024&page=5

Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM

I guess maybe i need to post a thread on my "test" adapters to air each shock up individually and watch the built in guage for leakage. And the arnots, are not beefier, they dont have the aluminum protective bag case, or the lower gator to keep dirt off the lower seal that seals the bag to the shock(and this is where 90% leak from). The factory if you cut the bellows and case away are the same. Ive now put 2 sets of arnots on and now have to take 1 off already for leakage a month later. Yes theyre covered, but you have to take them off and send back then theyll send you another

Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, have an '04 XJ8 now with 162K miles(!) and paid homage to the Air Suspension gods at about 130K miles. Initially, the Message Center would occasionally show Air Suspension Fault, and then go away. Of course, I ignored it and prayed that it was just an anomally.

Well, one morning I came outside and discovered my Jag had become a Low Rider! I had it towed and about $1500 later, I had a new compressor and relay installed. Moral of the story...I don't think such faults have self healing capabilities. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault