XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just replaced the suspension air compressor pump, front LH bumper. Pump works when I jumper relay but understand I need to reset computer when changing this pump? Can anyone help? or Do I need to tow it to the dealer for them to do? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Rhodie,

I'm under the impression that you do not need to reset the computer after an air pump r&r. But I could be wrong.

Help us out here Jag techs.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

no you dont, but the ecu for the air suspension may need to recalibrated and this is a IDS dealer function. You have to go into air suspension calibration, the air suspension module ask for measurements at each corner 1 at a time(theyre not the same each corner) and then it knows where to set ride height setting accordingly

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Suspension Relay

My 05 XJ8 VDP has started the air suspension thing. If it is cold at night, the front suspension is on the ground and won't come up. But when the temp outside warms up, eveything works fine (so far).

I figured I would change the air suspension relay just to get the cheaper part out of the way, then check for leaks and then go ahead and replace the compressor.

Just to let eveyone know, when I went to replace the relay the Jaguar dealer gave me a Ford part that was cheaper (they said it was a new part to replace my old part number). My old part number for the relay was LJA6707AA (Jaguar) and the new replacement Ford part is either V231136-A1-X64 or 5M5T 14B192 DA (both are stamped on the relay). Cost at Jaguar was about $7.

If you are stuck somewhere and the relay is the issue you may be able to find the Ford part easier.

The following users liked this post:
Emediex (07-27-2012)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

O1XK,

You need to read this and other related threads carefully. I don't think replacing the air compressor will affect your problem one way or the other, except to vacuum up your bank account.
Sorry to tell you this, but it's a more complex issue than meets the eye. The problem you have described is more than likely 1 or 2 leaky front shocks.
Thats not definitive, of course, but it sounds exactly like my problem. I'm waiting for a cold day to isolate the problem.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Default "air suspension fault"

Just had my vehicle on the computer again. The symptoms remain as they have been for the last six month. No problems until I drive for 10 minutes or more then stop for less than a couple of hours and up it comes (but not always).
Anyway todays results none conclusive again no leaks found, staci leak test for 3 hours ...fittings checked and tested with leak detection spray.
Comressor checked, the only thing out seems to be the compressor duty cycle seemed too great, whatever that means.

Looks like I will have it until I get a new compressor but then what if that doesnt fix it. Not sure I want my bank account vacuumed!

My old 1989 sovereign had a oil light problem for the twenty years I had the car after I got sick of buying new sensor switches.

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
O1XK,

You need to read this and other related threads carefully. I don't think replacing the air compressor will affect your problem one way or the other, except to vacuum up your bank account.
Sorry to tell you this, but it's a more complex issue than meets the eye. The problem you have described is more than likely 1 or 2 leaky front shocks.
Thats not definitive, of course, but it sounds exactly like my problem. I'm waiting for a cold day to isolate the problem.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Default Air suspension fault continues

The latest is I went out to drive it and the left hand side was down about 2". I started it the motor and up she came and has been alrigt since. No one seems to identify what needs fixing. Any ideas appreciated.

[quote=bezants;276994]Just had my vehicle on the computer again. The symptoms remain as they have been for the last six month. No problems until I drive for 10 minutes or more then stop for less than a couple of hours and up it comes (but not always).
Anyway todays results none conclusive again no leaks found, staci leak test for 3 hours ...fittings checked and tested with leak detection spray.
Comressor checked, the only thing out seems to be the compressor duty cycle seemed too great, whatever that means.

Looks like I will have it until I get a new compressor but then what if that doesnt fix it. Not sure I want my bank account vacuumed!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 AM

Hi
you seem to have a handle on the air suspension problems. Any chance of having a read of my couple of previous posts to see what you think. would appreciate any help
Bezants

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Bezants,

Okay. Here is my take on your problem. You most likely have 1 or 2 bad front shocks and possibly an air compressor weakened buy trying to keep up with them. It sounds to me like the left front for sure. So here's the approach I would use in order to minimize the shock/drain on your bank acct..

1. R&R the left front shock. If that cures the problem, great.

2. If the front end continues to drop overnight then the right front shock is bad as well.

3. If the front end stays up overnight but the car continues to throw codes then it's the compressor.

When I say drop over night, I'm talking 1/2 " or better.
Keep in mind that I,m not an authority on this subject, just a member who got interested in this issue and the work of others addressing it. Do keep us posted and good luck.

bezants (01-05-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

That sounds like a good course of action. At leasti it is a plan.

bezants (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Bezants,

Okay. Here is my take on your problem. You most likely have 1 or 2 bad front shocks and possibly an air compressor weakened buy trying to keep up with them. It sounds to me like the left front for sure. So here's the approach I would use in order to minimize the shock/drain on your bank acct..

1. R&R the left front shock. If that cures the problem, great.

2. If the front end continues to drop overnight then the right front shock is bad as well.

3. If the front end stays up overnight but the car continues to throw codes then it's the compressor.

When I say drop over night, I'm talking 1/2 " or better.
Keep in mind that I,m not an authority on this subject, just a member who got interested in this issue and the work of others addressing it. Do keep us posted and good luck.
Many thanks ... all and any ideas are appreciated. I have read the posts here and none fit exactly. For example I live in a hot and humid climate and the temp at night has been late teen to early 20's at night so colds not the problem.
The front end has been rising at least 1/2 inch when starting after a days rest, this has been going on for a long long time, truthfully I thought that was the norm.
The recent slump was right front and the right back shocks which I thought was strange (Not left as stated in earlier post) felt like sliding in from the ground, right hand drive here.
Think I will just take the plunge and get the compressor replaced but will certainly post if I ever get it resolved.
Thanks again for imput
Bezants

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you Thank you THANK YOU

Originally Posted by Brutal
When you disconnected the battery(i prefer to unplug the connector on the dist block and not have to reset windows and clock etc) you dissable the air suspension modules ability to raise/maintain each corner. Based on your "both fronts sat 2" lower" i would say you have 2 bad front shocks. (otherwise 1 corner would be down and the other still up) Dont keep driving or running the compressor cause youll just burn it out too. See other posts about where to get air springs cheaper. No need to program anything when you replace them only replace them then give the car time to fill(and yes sometimes you have to cycle the key a few times and drive the car down the street before it raises. (i use jaguars ids but thats not avail to you)
Just a note here for anyone who may be a bit frustrated trying to get the air suspension to start working again after repairs - I highlighted the key point for me in red, and I really appreciate Brutal for having included this little comment!

I had to repair a hole in the air line to the left front shock down near the compressor (meaning I had to jack up the car, remove the wheel and fender well lining to access the line). It seems that after a couple of rounds of testing to find the leak, then getting it repaired, my suspension must have put itself in jacking mode and then just gone out to lunch or something, 'cause after I got it all back together, it just would not try to level the car at all. Plenty of pressure in the system, but nothing I tried could induce it to raise that left front corner (or even lower the other corners to match). I must have started that engine five or six times, and left it running for close to half an hour, but no luck. I was the very picture of frustration!

So I started reading more to see if there was some way to re-boot the suspension system to wake it up, and I came across Brutal's little comment about maybe needing to drive it down the street. I hadn't tried to drive it more than about 10 feet because the manual says don't drive it when the "Vehicle too low" warning is on, but now I figured I didn't have a choice. So I took it out for a little spin - gingerly at first, I had to go nearly a mile and get it over 30 miles an hour before it woke up and set things right. But now all seems fine. 24 hours later and all shocks are still up and looking good.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Default Air Suspension

Mine came on while in the Polar North. Car was at good ride height so I drove in back to KC

Went to the dealer and they determined that the compressor was weak and so I replaced it. Has been very cold since and went again to the Polar North and have had no issues.

About $800+ with labor.

Fixed heated seats problem on same visit.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Default Air Suspension Fault

Wow! I guess I am in good company with the problem that my XJ8 seems to be having. It first started this past summer when I went out to the parking lot and found it sitting like a low rider. The dealer told me that I needed to replace the left strut at a cost of about $1,500 installed. I found an independent guy to install a rebuilt strut for $800 installed. Once I got the car back I constantly heard some rattling every time I went over bumps or rough roads coming from my left front end. I've taken it back repeatedly but the mechanic tells me that he hears it but can't identify where it is coming from. The rebuilt strut?

I continue to get the Air Suspension Fault message at odd times. I often get it when I take my kid to school and it happens to drop as soon as I pull in the school drive. I can drive 10 miles with no problem but as soon as I pull in the school it drops in front and the message comes on. I pull over, turn off the car and then restart it. After a couple of seconds it rises up again and I'm off with no problem.

My biggest problem occurs when its cold. I went out to my garage this morning and it was fine. I drop it to the mall and it was really cold. When I got to the mall and got out of the car I could hear air coming from the left front wheel well. By the time I got out it was a low rider again. When I started it, it would not rise up and I drope it home as a low rider. I do not have this problem when it's above 50 degrees but when its under 40 degrees, it drops and won't come up.

I am afraid to take it to the dealer cause they alway stick me good. I was going to replace the relay. If that doesn't work I was going to replace the compressor with one from Arnott.

Any other thoughts? I can't believe there is not a Jag owner that's a class action attorney...should all of us being having the same problem with this car and Jaguar is not accountable???

I love my Jag and it's the best car I have ever owned. I just get anxious every time I have problems with it cause I know it's going to cost me big money.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Default Take it to a Better Place

Originally Posted by atexguy
I am afraid to take it to the dealer cause they alway stick me good. I was going to replace the relay. If that doesn't work I was going to replace the compressor with one from Arnott.

Any other thoughts? I can't believe there is not a Jag owner that's a class action attorney...should all of us being having the same problem with this car and Jaguar is not accountable???

I love my Jag and it's the best car I have ever owned. I just get anxious every time I have problems with it cause I know it's going to cost me big money.
Quit taking it to a dealer who you feel always sticks it to you. You are in Dallas - take it to JagMac. They have taken care of me fairly on both my 2000 XJ8 and my 2007 XJ8. (Boy, am I sure hoping here that they are not the place you found to replace that shock! )

I have no connection with them, but I am convinced they are an excellent shop and probably the most fair of any repair facility I have ever used. I am a reasonably accomplished mechanic in my own right, so I think I can tell when a shop is blowing smoke or charging for unnecessary things, and I do not see that with JagMac. Good luck getting that sorted out.

Last edited by V7Goose; 01-09-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

lol dont take it to the dealer who gives a 1 yr unlimited mileage warranty, but take it to the indie who sold you a remanned from Arnot for $800 and it only cost him $350 and added install on it too? and doesnt know what the noise is??I dont get it who getting screwed here

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM

A couple of weeks ago, my 2004 Vanden Plas, showed a warning message...."Car Too Low" to drive. The car had been sitting in extreme cold for a few hours. However, I took it to be tested and the report was the front air springs were leaking. We replaced them with remanufactured Jaguar parts that we purchased from Arnot Incorporated, Cape Canaveral, FL. After getting the car back, I immediately noticed the ride extremely harsh/stiff with no damping. The car also has interior noise and vibration that I have never experienced in the five years I've owned it. What is your advice?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Banned

What is the ride height of the front, as measured from ground to finder lip at wheel center? My 05 XJR rides at 27 to 28". It could be you suspension is hyper extended in "jack mode" and will require dealer re cal.
Arnott sells 2 shocks; sport for the XJR and regular for the XJ8. You didn't order sport shocks by any chance?

DMiller212 (01-13-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for recommending Jagmac. Russell quickly got it in this morning and tested both shocks for leaks. Within minutes he was able to determine that the Arnott shock that was installed back in August was leaking and was the cause of the problem. He recommended taking it back to the other Jag place and give them an opportunity to fix it. It's there now, so hopefully I won't be driving a lowrider from now on.

One last thing, my check engine light has been on for almost a year. My service advisor at Park Place told me not to worry and that it was likely due to the premium gas I was using. He recommended using mid-grade instead of premium. Russell checked it out for me and told me my catalatic convertor was going. He turned the light off and told me to come back if the light came back on.

Again, thank you for the recommendation. I think I found my new mechanic for my Jag.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Thumbs up Glad Things Are Looking Up

Originally Posted by atexguy
Thanks for recommending Jagmac. Russell quickly got it in this morning and tested both shocks for leaks. Within minutes he was able to determine that the Arnott shock that was installed back in August was leaking and was the cause of the problem. He recommended taking it back to the other Jag place and give them an opportunity to fix it. It's there now, so hopefully I won't be driving a lowrider from now on.

One last thing, my check engine light has been on for almost a year. My service advisor at Park Place told me not to worry and that it was likely due to the premium gas I was using. He recommended using mid-grade instead of premium. Russell checked it out for me and told me my catalatic convertor was going. He turned the light off and told me to come back if the light came back on.

Again, thank you for the recommendation. I think I found my new mechanic for my Jag.
Just because a particular shop is an authorized something-or-other does not make them good. There are dishonest dealers around, as well as honest ones, and even some of the honest ones are not particularly competent. And the same things certainly hold true for independent shops!

The authorized Jaguar dealer in Plano has been sued by Jaguar for being blatantly dishonest - I no longer have the link to the information, but I was completely blown away when I saw Jaguar's accusations. It also helped me understand why they told me I would have to pay about about $3,000 for new brake pads and rotors on my then-new 2000 XJ8 with only 16,000 miles on it! They even claimed that Jaguar rotors could not be turned since the manufacturer did not specify a minimum thickness. Thankfully I was not as dumb as they expected and refused to allow them to do the work. When I checked it myself, the front pads were thin, but the rotors looked fine (and even though I did not need to have the rotors turned, I easily found the spec for minimum thickness). I put new aftermarket pads on the front for about $60 and they lasted 80,000 miles!

I am not anti-dealer, but I do believe that no one should ever continue going to any shop if they feel they are being ripped off. When you find a good place, keep giving them your business and share the information!
Goose

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault