XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information. We are confirming that there was not a mistake with the type of shocks sent....sports or comfort. But, it sounds like there is a possibility that it is in the hyper extended mode. (I know that we have already checked the height, etc., and that is okay.) How do we check to see if it is in the hyper extended mode???

Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Thank you so much for the information. This has been most helpful. Today we confirmed that the shocks were the comfort versus the sport type. Now we are checking into the possibility of the hyper extension issue. I'm excited about this forum. THANKS AGAIN!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts
Default To anyone that's interested

I found this page that tells you exactly how the XJs air suspension works.

Jaguar XJ Air suspension description

The following 3 users liked this post by daxter1987:
amcdonal86 (06-23-2011), Geo (06-26-2011), XK8+XJ8L (06-02-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Geo
Default New to group

Hello all..............

I am new to the forums and wish to introduce myself. I am a 59 year old male retiree in Houston, TX. I own a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 and like others I am having suspension issues. Please give your thoughts if you will.

First Mechanic:
One morning I saw the front driver's side of car was low to the ground(60,000 miles). Air suspension fault was showing. Drove it to my mechanic and he replaced both front air springs with Arnott struts. When he was finished both front and back springs on driver's side were down. He didn't know what was wrong.

Second mechanic:
A friend told to me to take it to his friend who worked on high end cars all the time. He got it up and it worked well for a week then the whole front was collapsed. He had kept my car for a month and I could tell he really did not know what he was doing with my Jaguar so never took it back to him. Bad experience.

Third mechanic:
Had it towed to a "Jag only" repair shop. He got it up and I drove it off and within a day it was collapsed again. Had to have it towed back and he claims I had a leaking air spring. It was returned to Arnott and a new(rebuilt) spring was then put on the car. Within a day the front was down again. I was able to drive it back to him this time. He pulled the air springs, tested them, said they had been leaking at the fittings where they are "aired up". Wrapped Teflon tape around the fittings and said everything tested good. Reinstalled them, pumped up the springs and gave the car back to me. Drove it home. Three hours later the front dropped 1 1/2 inches.

I start the car up and air springs inflate, the suspension fault indicator light goes off but after driving the car for say 15 minutes or so the indicator light comes on again. After shutting the car off the springs drop again.

The mechanic keeps telling me the problem has to be the air bage leaking but I just believe the system is more complicated than that. Something else could be wrong?

Your thoughts and suggestions to me??

Thank you for any replies.
Geo

Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Geo. This is a REALLY GOOD post with lots of good, detailed information. My only experience with the air suspension was a leaky air spring and resultant fried compressor relay which was successfully fixed by a Jaguar dealership. A bit spendy, but it works fine now.

You've come to the right place for advice. Lots of real knowledgeable folks here, and I look forward to hearing what they have to say about this. It sounds really perplexing.

By the way, you should wander over to the New Member Area and post an introduction so other folks can say "Hi."

Cheers,

Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Hello all..............

I am new to the forums and wish to introduce myself. I am a 59 year old male retiree in Houston, TX. I own a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 and like others I am having suspension issues. Please give your thoughts if you will.

First Mechanic:
One morning I saw the front driver's side of car was low to the ground(60,000 miles). Air suspension fault was showing. Drove it to my mechanic and he replaced both front air springs with Arnott struts. When he was finished both front and back springs on driver's side were down. He didn't know what was wrong.

Second mechanic:
A friend told to me to take it to his friend who worked on high end cars all the time. He got it up and it worked well for a week then the whole front was collapsed. He had kept my car for a month and I could tell he really did not know what he was doing with my Jaguar so never took it back to him. Bad experience.

Third mechanic:
Had it towed to a "Jag only" repair shop. He got it up and I drove it off and within a day it was collapsed again. Had to have it towed back and he claims I had a leaking air spring. It was returned to Arnott and a new(rebuilt) spring was then put on the car. Within a day the front was down again. I was able to drive it back to him this time. He pulled the air springs, tested them, said they had been leaking at the fittings where they are "aired up". Wrapped Teflon tape around the fittings and said everything tested good. Reinstalled them, pumped up the springs and gave the car back to me. Drove it home. Three hours later the front dropped 1 1/2 inches.

I start the car up and air springs inflate, the suspension fault indicator light goes off but after driving the car for say 15 minutes or so the indicator light comes on again. After shutting the car off the springs drop again.

The mechanic keeps telling me the problem has to be the air bage leaking but I just believe the system is more complicated than that. Something else could be wrong?

Your thoughts and suggestions to me??

Thank you for any replies.
Geo
MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE TAKING IT TO SOMEONE IN THE HOUSTON AREA THAT KNOWS HOW TO PROPERLY DIAG AIR SUSPENSIONS
NOT MENTIONING ANY NAMES

Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Geo

Yes, I have learned that! Each mechanic I went to said they knew how to repair those systems and had the software to analyze them. I guess my next stop is to a Jag Dealer. Seems as if that's where I should have gone to begin with. However it would be good to get some possible causes from knowledgeable persons on here before I go. I have already spent quite a bit of money without any return. I am sure you understand what I am saying. Guess it will take a while to learn of a good repair shop in Houston. I'm trying

Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 PM

Well i work at momentum jaguar on the southwest freeway and also made up the gauged testors to accuratly test air springs for leaks that i posted a thread on here about. Call and talk to michelle about my schedule 713-596-3643

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
amcdonal86 (06-24-2011), chemosabe (02-04-2022), Geo (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
However it would be good to get some possible causes from knowledgeable persons on here before I go. I have already spent quite a bit of money without any return.
If you haven't found it, this is the thread Brutal is talking about. He should be able to use his custom gauges to help you take the guess work out of your problem. If one of the springs is still leaking it should be easy to diagnose with them:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...agnosis-42703/

The following users liked this post:
Geo (06-26-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Geo

Thank you for the link. I was having trouble locating it.

Still trying to learn how to navigate this site. I am so happy to have found it.

Un-diagnosed and wrongfully diagnosed auto issues will drive a sane person crazy! And just as worse, are the costs associated with repair that is not needed to begin with!

We have all experienced the above in our past so I know you understand.

Thanks again for the link.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I hate all you people in Houston with your Jaguars. You have access to all the best Jag techs in the world!

Maybe I'm just jealous...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Geo

Thank you.

I'll call as I definitely need correct diagnosis and repair.

I have already spent far too much money (close to $3,000) to resolve my air suspension issues. I know these previous costs are mostly just money down a toilet and that they in no way affect my continuing costs; except that, my recent expenditures have done serious damage to my spare change available for additional service. Having said that...........................

Can you possibly give me a rough estimate on what costs I may be looking at for "air tests" and additional diagnosis?

If it is not an air spring leak then what other components could cause the Jag to drop??

I love my Jag and would wish to be able to enjoy it.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Geo

oops! I think I incorrectly responded to you by replying to another post.

Brutal......... Could you please read post #172 in this thread?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Geo
Default I am still learning how to post so please excuse my errors.

Originally Posted by Brutal
Well i work at momentum jaguar on the southwest freeway and also made up the gauged testors to accuratly test air springs for leaks that i posted a thread on here about. Call and talk to michelle about my schedule 713-596-3643
Brutal...................

Would you please read and respond to post #172

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Geo
Default Hello

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I hate all you people in Houston with your Jaguars. You have access to all the best Jag techs in the world!

Maybe I'm just jealous...
Well I definitely need a good Jag tech.

If you have read my original post you understand why I was beginning to think that there WERE NOT any "good techs" in Houston.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by geo
thank you.

I'll call as i definitely need correct diagnosis and repair.

I have already spent far too much money (close to $3,000) to resolve my air suspension issues. I know these previous costs are mostly just money down a toilet and that they in no way affect my continuing costs; except that, my recent expenditures have done serious damage to my spare change available for additional service. Having said that...........................

Can you possibly give me a rough estimate on what costs i may be looking at for "air tests" and additional diagnosis?

If it is not an air spring leak then what other components could cause the jag to drop??

I love my jag and would wish to be able to enjoy it.
it depends on why its dropping. You could still have a leak. I had several arnotts leak. You also may have a bad sensor or need to recalibrate ride height. The car may think its at a differant level than it is.
Where are you in houston?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Geo

it depends on why its dropping. You could still have a leak. I had several arnotts leak. You also may have a bad sensor or need to recalibrate ride height. The car may think its at a differant level than it is.
Where are you in houston?
I am in Mont Bevieu; Other side of town. The car is drivable. It aired right up this morning. It air up quickly.

When it airs up, measuring from the pavement to the bottom of the quarter panels it measure 28 1/2 inches. But will drop 2 1/2 inches while parked over night.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

hmmm and this is the whole car or only the drivers side that drops. I see you cant PMessage yet

Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Geo

hmmm and this is the whole car or only the drivers side that drops. I see you cant PMessage yet
It just seems to be both wheels in the front (with the new Arnott springs). The back never seems to change.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Geo

What do you think about this suggestion as far as getting a better idea as to whether or not it is a air spring leak issue? This was posted by another on this site>>>

" Drive the car around for a few minutes, park it and let it sit overnight. When you park it, leave the battery disconnected so the air suspension module doesnt tell the car what to do. Measure the height when parked.....then check again in the morning. If one corner is much lower than it was the night before, then likely you have a leaking shock."

I think I read the battery is in the truck somewhere.

Quick Reply: Air suspension fault