XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault'

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

^^^jj, and this is true, did you expect to get a remanned shock to for the money they charge with a lifetime warranty? Alittle misleading if you interpret as the hydraulic shock absorber being rebuilt too. But at cutting 1 open, replacing seals and rewelding, youde be better off to buy new(as a rebuilder) and rebag. Of course there is always the ol' buy new from a dealer for $1100-1300 and everything is new. With of course a 1 yr warranty

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
Grab Brutal for an unbiased opinion. I took our test car down to his dealership for a drive. He may be a little biased, I bought him lunch. I do think he will tell you the truth though. I haven't driven an air spring car, so I don't have a good field of reference. I've only been in converted models.

All four wheels must be done at the same time. It is pricey, but if you are going to keep the car, it's worth it.
Hi Ken,

This almost seems like a replay of the adjustable height shock fiasco suffered by XJ40 owners. I had an XJ40 and luckily I had the conventional shocks so replacing them was fairly straightforward.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Brutal, copied straight from Arnotts website:

"Arnott is pleased to offer our completely rebuilt, OE rear air shocks for the 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade. Our shocks feature new rubber air spring bladders manufactured exclusively by Goodyear. The price per shock at your local dealership is over $600.00! Your price at Arnott is only $379.00 for the pair, plus a refundable $50.00 core charge (prepaid return label included). Once again, our design is not only more efficient, but it’s also much more affordable! These shocks plug in directly to your trucks electronic dampening system. These are not passive replacements. These will continue to use the factory dampening. Each shock is covered under our unlimited mileage lifetime warranty."

Seems what Arnott is claiming "completely rebuilt" does not match my (or others that have inquired to them) opinion of "completely rebuilt" means.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Good information. Just FYI, our conversion kit is built with new Bilstein shocks, but they are not compatible with the air springs. Bilstein won't sell us the shocks for the air springs either. That's why we went another Bilstein shock and had the springs made. (Yikes!) No off the shelf springs would work. As you can imagine, we put a lot of money and time into getting this kit right.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi Ken,

This almost seems like a replay of the adjustable height shock fiasco suffered by XJ40 owners. I had an XJ40 and luckily I had the conventional shocks so replacing them was fairly straightforward.
What I don't get is Jaguar even offered the conversion for the XJ40 cars. They had their own kit. But now neither Jaguar nor Land Rover offers conversions. In fact, we sell conversions to both dealerships. Seems like Jag/Rover are missing something here.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default My Take On This

I chewed on this issue before buying one of these more than any other issue. And here are my thoughts:

1. This is great to know about Arnott's "rebuilding process", i.e., put a new bag on an old shock. Solution?: buy a new shock and send it to Arnott to have them mount the new bag on the new shock, and send in the old shock to Arnott as well, for the "core charge". Then, one could possibly "buy down" the cost of the new shock purchase a bit. Of course, this would all be talked-out and negotiated in advance with Arnott. Or alternatively, one could find a local air-suspension tech and have them rebuild the shock and put the new bag on the rebuilt shock. There is one in Ft. Worth called "Bagmaster". I used to know a guy there named Jason, and I called looking for him a month ago or so, but he's not there anymore and I didn't like the vibes I got from the guy who answered the phone. But research could reveal competent air-suspension guys. I plan on doing some research like this in the coming months. I'll keep you posted.

2. If one converts to mechanical, coil-over suspension on these Jags, isn't that kind of like giving up the ghost and putting the soul of a different marque, a lesser marque, a, well, inferior marque, in these cars? No one has yet spoken to the differences in ride, behavior and road feel. Why would anyone spend $2600 to convert without knowing how the car will behave?

I can't see ever converting away from air-suspension. If I'm concerned about long-term care and maintenance costs to that extent, I'm buying a different car. It's a JAG, with air suspension! When it breaks, fix it! I don't get it.

Unless I start hearing some of the well-heeled purists around here singing the praises of the smooth, silky and well-balanced road manners of their car(s) post-conversion, I'll stay well away from coil-overs on my Jag. On my old 1993 Mustang, that would have been a great upgrade. On my Jag, sacrilege!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Ive driven a converted xj, and really cant tell a differance with the exception of a slightly firmer hit on bumps. Like speed bumps. I threw the car around pretty hard in corners, accel and braking. And it behaved fine. Jaguar actually makes the XJ in coil over suspension. Just comes with the B6 armor plating.
Ive never seen shocks avail seperatlyfor the air suspension spring, plus youll need the top air spring mount and air fitting thats seperate from the shock, and since theyre electronic adaptive dampning shocks theyre not cheap. Just price the s type, xk or older xj with adaptive dampning shocks. And most places ive been on the web dont list them either so its a dealer item only.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Brutal, copied straight from Arnotts website:

"Arnott is pleased to offer our completely rebuilt, OE rear air shocks for the 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade. Our shocks feature new rubber air spring bladders manufactured exclusively by Goodyear. The price per shock at your local dealership is over $600.00! Your price at Arnott is only $379.00 for the pair, plus a refundable $50.00 core charge (prepaid return label included). Once again, our design is not only more efficient, but it’s also much more affordable! These shocks plug in directly to your trucks electronic dampening system. These are not passive replacements. These will continue to use the factory dampening. Each shock is covered under our unlimited mileage lifetime warranty."

Seems what Arnott is claiming "completely rebuilt" does not match my (or others that have inquired to them) opinion of "completely rebuilt" means.
Rick, I talked to the owner of Arnot and he said yes many of theirs are compllletly rebuilt, actually he said many have new shocks where avail on a cost effective basis. jags are not, nor are they avail. so they use good used shock cores that they test. most of the cores we have are good shocks just bad bags.

The following users liked this post:
SuperTrav (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Brutal, that clears up an awful lot. I'm reconsidering my position. Thanks.