XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault Message

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Suspension Fault Message

First let me say, if I am posting in the wrong Forum section, my apologies. Simply redirect me to the proper section, and I will repost. (Thanks in advance.)

Second, I did do a quick search of the forum for related topics, but I still have a couple of questions.

I recently bought a '07 Jaguar Super V8 with 32K. Three-owner local car that has been serviced at the factory dealer since new. I love the car.....it has exceeded my expectations! However, it is an eight year old "used" car, so I know to expect maintenance and issues.

To the point, as I just drove to the office, the Air Suspension Fault message came on. The car seemed to drive and ride all right, but when I arrived the car was visibly "sagging" in the rear. The front ride height "appears" to be unaffected. The rear passenger side is way down, but not quite as bad as the rear driver side which seems to be on the bump stop.

After reading several posts on the same topic, it would seem there is a pronounced leak on the rear wheel on the driver side, as I can clearly hear the "hiss". I sort of hear it on the passenger side rear, but it may just be the "reverb" from the driver's side. I believe I can hear the compressor running, and after start up, the rear does seem to raise ever so slightly, but not much at all.

To qualify, I am definitely NOT a "do it yourself" type of guy. I learned a long time ago that I was a hell of a lot better at breaking **** than fixing it. Got to know your place in the "food chain"! However, the general manager at the local Jaguar dealer is a friend of mine, and I have two reputable independent mechanics that I have used on my other cars who can also work on Jaguars. As a caveat, I am not very familiar with "newer" Jaguars, but I do have some experience with an air suspension on my wife's Mercedes-Benz.

So, "assuming" the compressor is good which I believe it to be, then I would imagine that I either have a leak in the line, seal, or the shock. With that being said, here are my questions:

1) which is worse - a bad shock or a line/hose? I would assume shock due to the cost of replacement, but I have had bad luck with wiring and "plumbing" (in a general sense).
2) what kind of money am I looking at under either scenario?
3) generally speaking, how prone are the air suspensions to failure? In other words, it is simply a wearable item that is a function of age and use? Or is it more "sinister" than that?

Any and all comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on taking the car to the factory dealer at the earliest possible time next week and have the codes pulled. I just thought I would seek some input first and get my wallet ready. Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend.

Regards,

Jim Leake, III

Old 06-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I'm surprised you haven't got the "Vehicle Too Low" message from your description of the fault. With this message, one is instructed to drive slowly, with the one you have, you merely have to drive cautiously !

The system attempts to keep the vehicle level at all times, so having a back air spring fail means the other side will get lowered to suit the failed unit. If you can hear a hiss, it sounds like the air spring bag has failed. This is rather unusual at your mileage.

The air spring is a single unit per wheel which also contains the shock absorber. Cheap they ain't ! Bilstein designed and supplied these springs to Jaguar and now also supply them on the internet at a price far lower than your local Jaguar dealer will charge. As an air spring doesn't tend to sack out like steel springs, they can be replaced singly. The ASM controls each air spring to maintain the correct height using height detector readings.
A company called Arnott now supply alternative at much lower prices than Bilstein, but these don't have the switchable shocks that are needed to support the CATS system.

Here's a couple of UK web suppliers: -

Steering-Suspension | Jaguar XJ 2003 - 2009 | British Parts UK

Jaguar Partno_C2C41340#_R. AIR SUSP DAMPER X350 >G35210_David Manners Group with Alts

UK non-taxed price seems about £445 (=$676) for a Bilstein OEM. What this would be in the US, I don't know. Note the Jaguar price for the same item. Clearly the cars are not profitable enough so the spares are loaded up !!

For my money, the Bilstein OEM looks the best bet for you. However have the car examined to make sure the leak is in the spring unit and not an air line leading to it.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the reply Fraser! Much appreciated!

I too am "slightly" surprised that an air spring would fail at 32K miles, as factory parts should last the length of the original warranty even on Jaguars! Then again, it is eight years old and the previous owner only put about 1500 miles during his two years of ownership. Clearly, "sitting" is not good for any car.

I have a service appointment with the factory dealer on Monday. We'll see then. However, it would seem it is either a leak in the line or the air spring itself has failed. "Hopefully" the former. OEM Bilstein air springs are between $850-1000 plus shipping. Definitely not "cheap", but technology and performance cost money. My only "worry" is that if the rear unit failed, they will all go in sequence.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I owe you a drink! I am good for it. Cheers!

Jim, III

Old 06-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Having all air springs fail one after the other is very rare, in fact I haven't seen a thread with this on this forum and I've been posting since 2010. However a lot of people in the US have one spring fail and then swap to steel coil springs. We in the UK can't do this legally, (yet).

Arnott Industries used to refit the airspring part of the unit by fitting a new airbag, but I don't think this is still on offer. There may be other firms in the US that do this, however.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks again Fraser. Much appreciated. I like your answers!

Just out of curiosity, how long do air springs typically last? Hopefully, I just have a single "bad" one.

And I am somewhat familiar with the Arnott products from my browsing. By all accounts, they seem to have a good reputation. Having said that, I am more of a "purist" and prefer OEM components.

I can't imagine why the UK does not allow "regular" coils, but I never underestimate the ability of the government over regulation. I have friends that have had incessant problems with the air suspension on Range Rovers and consequently switched out the air suspension entirely.

We'll see where this heads, but I DO appreciate your comments and suggestions. Again, I owe you drinks the next time I pass your way. It has been a few years since I made it across the pond. Until then, cheers!

Regards,

Jim, III

Old 06-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Well, Jim, if you're passing this way I live just outside Crewe, home of the Bentley. Lots of these cars are seen around here, we have two in our village; not a car for a poor man, though !

Air spring failure doesn't seem to be a big issue here in the UK. The editor of our Jaguar Enthusiasts Club has an X350 V8 which is on 230,000 miles and the air springs have never been mentioned in the magazine. He's now getting the current model (X351), so we'll no doubt get to hear about his time with that soon.

My car was a Sport so it had the firmer air spring setting, but I swapped these out for the Comfort ones in 2014. I managed to get a full set on eBay for a winning price (four for the price of one) by buying what is called NOS, (New Old-Stock) items. Of course you get no warranty at all on these, so it is a bit of a gamble, but I put my trust in Bilstein. My view is that it is best to keep the car stock as far as possible, incl financial concerns. Now Bilstein supply the aftermarket the air springs are pricey but no longer a Kings Ransom that Jaguar charge. They must be blushing crimson when they see what Bilstein sell for against their own hugely inflated price. No, maybe they're not blushing; ripping-off the poor old used car owner is about par for all the major car manufacturers. We are the ones that pay the rent not the new car buyer.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 PM

Thanks again for the reply Fraser!

I know Crewe, but I have never been there. And I know Bentley's. My family has had quite a few "vintage" examples over the years, and my Uncle drives a GT. Great cars but clearly not for the "masses". However, if you have the means, I highly recommend one!

I am not sure when I will next get up your way, but you never know. I am still good for the drinks! My family moved from Oldham to Oklahoma about 170 years ago, but I used to spend almost a month in England every year. My Dad and Grandfather always did the Brighton Run, so I have spent a lot of time in England and have many great memories of the "motherland".

As for the air springs, I am still holding out hope it "might" be a leak in the line, but I am usually not that "lucky". I am sure the factory dealer will want retail plus 200%, in which case I will buy an OEM replacement on the Internet. The General Manager at the Jaguar dealer is a friend of mine, and I think they will do the labor if I supply the part. They allow me to do this at the local Mercedes-Benz dealer, and that saves the bulk of the total expense. Otherwise, I will just take the Jag to one of my independent mechanics who are both good.

I am also glad to hear that the air spring is not a "common" failure. I understand that parts wear out, but I hate replacing things more than once....at least during my ownership. And I prefer to keep things OE "stock". That's just me....I am kind of a "purist". However, I would not mind changing out the intake and blower pulley for some extra horsepower, but we'll see!

And to your point about parts and dealer "markup", I AGREE!!! The car business is really the "parts & service" business, and used cars DO "subsidize" the new ones. I don't mind paying a bit more for "factory" service but only to a point. We'll just see how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your help, input, and suggestions. It was greatly appreciated!!! Take care and be well.

Cheers,

James Chowning Leake, III
aka "Jimmy3Sticks"

Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums and congratulations on your nice Jag!

It is certainly possible that you have a leaking rear strut, but it is perhaps just as likely that you have an air leak in one of the lines. There have been numerous reports of leaks at the brass air line fittings. Our member abonano has done a lot of work sorting out air line leaks, so you might search for some of his posts on the subject. I'm not sure this one is exactly on topic, but you might read this thread for the education:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-fail-133030/

It's easy to check for air leaks at the fittings on the tops of each air spring/damper, as well as at the valve block and air reservoir under the spare tire/wheel in the trunk/boot. Spritz a little soapy water onto the fitting and watch for bubbles that indicate a leak. Immediately dry all the water to avoid problems with corrosion or water entering the air suspension.

Please keep us informed.

P.S. My son played soccer with a young man whose last name was Leake, which his family pronounced "Lake." Is that how you pronounce it?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-18-2015 at 11:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (06-20-2015), EssOess (06-20-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks Don.

The dealer said the air spring failed. I had hoped it was the line or the fitting, but I did not check personally. I am just going to take my service advisor at his word.

So, I was able to source a new OEM Bilstein replacement for about half of what the dealer wanted. Still pricey to be sure, but as long as I don't have to replace it again during my ownership, it's just the cost of doing business.

Hopefully, I will not be having any further "major" issues. I have only had the car for two months, but I could not be more pleased.

On a side note, my last name is pronounced "lake" as well. We're definitely English having emigrated from Oldham right after the U.S. Civil War. So, after several German cars, it is only fitting I have switched to a British car!

Cheers,

Jim, III

Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Could you let us know where you got the OEM Bilstein from, and what cost. It helps if others come on the forum with similar problems.

FWIW, I don't think Bilstein OEMs will ever be competitive on price with the non-CATS Arnott units, but if Arnott ever get to sell a CATS-compliant unit, it will be pistols at dawn !!

Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Everything I hear about Arnott products is positive, and they are certainly competitive on price as you suggest at almost half the cost.

Then again, I like the "idea" of OEM units so long as they aren't "crap" to begin with. And I suppose the CATS function is not a "big deal", but what's the point of having the CATS system if it doesn't work? As in all things, price is the great "equalizer". It just comes down to preference and price.

For those in need, Car Steering Wholesale is selling new OEM Bilstein Air Springs for $800 if you're interested. For $44 more, they will have it in your hands the next day. The local Jaguar dealer wanted $1340 plus tax for the exact same unit. Not sure if they are the same units on your '04, but they carry a vast variety of Bilstein shocks and air springs. Really nice people, great service.

Car Steering Wholesale
1 (800) 399-7845 ext 632
Ask for Will