XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension fault and more

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension fault and more

HI Guys, My first post on here.

Looking for some advise.

My 2006 Jaguar XJ has recently come up with Air Suspension fault with the back of the car sitting very low.
Having owned the car for over 6 years this is not the first time this has happened with the first time resulting in me buying a new compressor around 3/4 years ago but has just come back again.
The car has recently had a new tire put on the back due to a puncture which meant the car was jacked up and the first time the fault came up was when I got all 4 tires changes and the car was put on a 4 arm jack and car was hovering. Has this got anything to do with this fault code coming up?
It has a few other issues in regards to park brake fault which seemed to be solved with a new battery around 18 months ago but that has made a reappearance once or twice over the last couple of months but seems to be ok at the minute.

Also another issue I have had at the same time as the Air Suspension Fault it keeps saying my Bonnet is open (it isn't as been firmly closed) also a headlight has been flashing and when putting full beam on goes off completely and when pressing the horn it doesn't work and the headlights just flash instead of horn going off..

All this has happened in the last week.
I have disconnected the battery in hope of resetting everything with no luck and checked all fuses under Bonnet and in Luggage compartment and all seem fine. I have no idea how to check if the relays are broken or not.

Help would be much appreciated

Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

It sounds like one of your rear bags may have sprung a leak. Perhaps the bag was on its way out, and jacking up the car and decompressing the airbag caused a tear/leak to form
The Air suspension fault will come up if the compressor has to run more than 120 seconds, which is a likely scenario if you have a leaky bag somewhere and your compressor isnt efficient as a new unit.

As for your random electrical issues, I read somewhere on here about 3 grounding locations on the front of our cars (2 on the right side, 1 on left) and that if these are slightly corroded it can cause a slew of random electrical issues.

I just purchased my 05 XJR and had some intermittent airbag light issues, and randomly flickering headlights. I cleaned the posts and terminals with a wire brush & carb cleaner with rag. No more flickering headlights, and no more random airbag light on. It's worth a shot (its free)

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-13-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:49 PM

I'll have a go at that tomorrow in regards to the electrical issues. I'll look to see if I can find the thread regarding grounding locations.
Sounds like jacking the car has caused this issue. Don't suppose I could have done anything about that wen changing the tire...

Old 04-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Whenever I jack up our X350 I always take out the 20 amp air suspension fuse (boot fuse box). I put it back in when the car is on the ground and it never knows what happened! haha

I've done that several dozen times and never had any problems. When we first bought the car I didn't know about the issue and the first time I jacked it up it was a real pain getting everything working/correct again.

The following 2 users liked this post by harvest14:
Don B (04-13-2017), paydase (04-15-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Check the ground point behind the right side headlights. The ground point is very easy to spot once you have removed the plastic cover that runs along the front of the engine, covering the top of the radiator. Be careful, as the ground point is an Al stud that is very easy to shear off if you use much more than hand tight force.

The other possibility is a breaking or broken wire or two in the turn signal stalk. It doesn't sound like the issue given you say the horn causes unexpected behaviors too. Should you need to, it is pretty easy to get the turn signal stalk out, and repair any broken wires within it.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Been into the garage today and they have done something and it has now fixed the air suspension problem and re-earthed the lighting cables.

now I have an issue with the bonnet saying it is open so the car won't close. It did used to say this before but never had a problem closing the car but it just beeps now.
Anyone had this problem?

One thing after the other..

Old 04-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 13,203 Likes on 6,552 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnycrawf1
Been into the garage today and they have done something and it has now fixed the air suspension problem and re-earthed the lighting cables.

now I have an issue with the bonnet saying it is open so the car won't close. It did used to say this before but never had a problem closing the car but it just beeps now.
Congratulations on the resolution of the ASF and headlamp issues. For the benefit of others who may want to know more about those ground points behind the headlamps, see this post:

Earth (Ground) Points Near Headlights

Regarding the false bonnet open warning, the problem is usually the switch, which is in a black plastic housing mounted to the bonnet latch on the aluminum cross bar at the front of the engine compartment. You can see the wiring harness that connects to the switch leading off to the right and back behind the left headlamp (left as viewed from the driver's seat).

You can probably solve the problem by disconnecting the connector from the switch and making a jumper out of a short piece of wire. I've used common copper housing wire (14 gauge?), but even a large paper clip might work. Bend the wire into a U and insert the two ends into the wiring harness connector so they short the two wires together. I used heat-shrink tubing and electrician's tape to hold the jumper in place and seal it all up, but duct tape would probably work. I used a zip tie to secure the harness to the aluminum cross beam so it wouldn't move around and dislodge the jumper. String or tape will probably work just as well.

The jumper wire fools the system into thinking the bonnet is closed all the time, so you will no longer get the bonnet open warning. Of course, whenever you open the bonnet you'll have to ensure you get it properly closed, but car owners have been doing that for decades anyway.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-13-2017 at 10:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
jackra_1 (04-13-2017), paydase (04-15-2017)