XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault- Ride Too low !

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Air Suspension Fault- Ride Too low !

Guys-
I know this subject has been covered a lot on these boards and I have read most of them. My 2006 Super V8-Portfolio sedan just displayed this with both the yellow and red lights lit up. ThiS HAPPENED TO me last winter when it got really cold 2 or 3 times but went away. The car would always "rise" the next morning when I would go to start the car and drive away.
Well, the other night it was below zero degreees here in the Midwest and the car was parked outside due to a meeting I had to attend. I drove the car home and now it wont even rise after sitting overnight in a 40 degree somewhat heated garqage. I still get the reading and the yellow and red lights. I had the Arnott shocks put in last winter so that hasn't solved anything.
Can I drive the car (on side streets) like this and hope it goes away when it warms up next week? Will this hurt the car? Any suggestions would help. THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The car is basically down on the stops and should not be driven. It is probably the compressor. Does it run? I have a new one for $325 + shipping.

How many shocks did you replace? Are all four corners down?

I feel your pain. So glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Last edited by MK 82; 01-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:03 PM

only the front of the car is low

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Front low, rear OK, suggests the front height sensor. Other thing is that water in the compressor will stop it working if the temperature is below freezing, as it can then ice up. The compressor has a water trap, and this should be cleared out by the system at the end of a run. You will normally hear a hiss of air once the engine is turned off, at least I do. If the water is ice, this process cannot take place until temperatures rise. Have you replaced the compressor in the recent past ? Any water that has got into the system will also freeze up and stop things working, like the valve block.

When you say below freezing are you are in Degrees Fahrenheit, or Centigrade ? If Fahrenheit, then this is well below freezing being about -18 degreees Centigrade (or Celcius). I had no AS trouble in our last severe winter 2010/11 but it "only" got to -14 here in Cheshire UK

Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I mean it's been zero degrees Fahrenheit! So you may be right that some water is frozen. I am turning the heat way up in my gagage today to see if it thaws out.
I have not had anything replaced on the car other than those Arnot shocks.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Front low, rear OK, suggests the front height sensor.
I disagree. The height sensor is telling the system that it is too low. It has done it's job. The front air bags require about 150 psi. If the compressor is worn like mine was, it cannot supply that much. Hence, the bags do not inflate properly and the front stays down. Both front bags are controlled together. The rears are separate. Do yourself a favor and get a compressor.

You could also install a pressure gauge in the tank like I did. It is a great troubleshooting tool.

Last edited by MK 82; 01-22-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

MK82 is quite possibly right on this issue. What I will say is that the compressor is the weakest link in the system as it does a lot of work and doesn't last very long. The facility in the compressor for preventing water ingress to the air system and its elimination seems flaky IMHO.

Having said all the above, there is very little about AS issues in the UK forum and in the Jaguar club magazines. Perhaps we didn't buy enough of X350 cars in the UK !

Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM

IT's WORKING !!

I turned the heat way up in the garage and the car rose right up and the yellow and red lights went off (the air suspension-ride to low faults). Must've thawed out. I really do not understand how it could be the compressor given the fact that I never have problems with the car getting to low unless it is BRUTAL cold outside. I guess time will tell.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parnelli
IT's WORKING !!

I turned the heat way up in the garage and the car rose right up and the yellow and red lights went off (the air suspension-ride to low faults). Must've thawed out. I really do not understand how it could be the compressor given the fact that I never have problems with the car getting to low unless it is BRUTAL cold outside. I guess time will tell.
You are assuming it was iced up. You say you can't understand how it could be the compressor.

I don't buy the ice theory. In the photo you will see a piston, a seal/ring that goes on the piston, and the cylinder it rides in. These are the main wear components in the compressor. The seal and the cylinder wear down and lose their seal over time. When it gets very cold the seal shrinks farther along with it's ability to pump. When it warms up, the seal expands and it's pumping ability improves. You have a compressor that has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Enjoy your reprieve--it wont last.

Last edited by MK 82; 01-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM

MK- I obvoiusly am not a mechanic. Not even close to being one. Are u saying that I will not have these "ride to low" issues in the brutal cold if I simply replace the compressor?
The reason I ask is that I've read from others on these boards that have replaced theirs but are still having the same problems. Thanks for your help...its much appreciated

Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Cool

I had the same issue, front shocks low...
This is what I did:
1. Left car outside in temp below 35 F.
2. Started engine to raise the suspension...did not due to air leak that I could hear.
3. Opened the hood, sprayed soapy water around the top area at location I heard the air leak (Left Shock top mount).
4. Bubbles formed at air line fitting on shock. Turned-off engine
5. Disconnected fitting and airline, found 2 damaged O-rings.
6. Replaced damaged O-rings, started engine--front end lifted to normal stance.(Compressor must be okey)
(NOTE 1: had same size O-rings in my shop.)
(NOTE 2: I also disconnected the power to the valve in the trunk "per a forum members suggestion" to verify if it was the left front. The left front was lowered, the other 3 were still up)

A week later, the front end was down
1. Started the engine to air up the suspension, front end rose then the right side lowered slowly.
2. Opened the hood and heard air leaking once again, checked for leaks...bubbles near the electrical connection?
3. The following week, temp was above 40 F, and everything was fine... Drove the car with no suspension problems and the compressor worked fine.
4. The following week got cold again, right shock leaking at same area near the plug. Air leak can be heard and formed a lot of bubbles when sprayed again....
5. At this point "MK 82 was having about the same issues.........
6. I decided on purchasing the rebuilt Arnotts instead of springs since I had no problems with the rear end or compressor as yet.
7. Replaced shock, all is now fine in cold weather.
(NOTE: I also disconnected the power to the valve in the trunk "per a forum members suggestion" to verify if it was the right front. The right front was lowered, the other 3 were still up)

This was my symptoms and solutions, yours might be different. You mentioned that you had the Arnott shocks put in last winter? If the compressor is ok, check the airlines and fittings on the shocks. The Arnott shocks might be leaking?

Last edited by reyesl; 01-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Banned

My problem was not temperature related. I had a weak compressor and a bad shock. Then the ASM acted up and I made the change to coilovers and am a happy camper!

Last edited by MK 82; 01-25-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 AM

thanks guys

Old 12-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I didn't want to start a new thread with the same topic.
I am facing the same problem and don't know which direction I should go.
The OP said he replaced the shocks with Arnott and it didn't help beyond the first year and "reyesl" said that the Arnott shock replacements solved the problem for him.

For now, I just put my XJ in the garage and turn on the heat to thaw it out whenever it sits low. But this seems to just be a temporary fix. Lord willing it only sits too low while at home, but I'd hate to deal with this anywhere else to where I can't warm it up.

Does anyone else have a permanent solution to this issue?
Thanks

Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts

Get rid of the air suspension and install this:

Coil spring conversion

As close to permanent as it gets

Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the issue when I first got my 04 XJR. The compressor would bring the car up, but too slowly. I believe the car allows 120 seconds to come up to pressure - 121 seconds and you get a fault. Mine was taking too long, because it the car would eventually come up, and if you turned it off and restarted it the error went away. When I first started it the compressor would un for two minutes and shut off. If I restarted the car it would run for another 30 seconds and shut off, and the car was fine. A new compressor fixed it.

About a year later the right rear went down and I got the car too low message again. The right rear was leaking near the bottom. I replaced it with an Arnott unit and everything has been fine since.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't forget about the compressor rebuild kit sold on ebay through a seller named "Bagpiping Andy."

Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had the same cold weather issue with mine. Right front replaced under warranty. It's all good now. I'm waiting for the rest to go out before the warranty expires.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia
Get rid of the air suspension and install this:

Coil spring conversion

As close to permanent as it gets

OK guys, It's been 2 years since I originally posted this link and I am still having the same problem when it gets really cold outside (about 20 degrees Fahrenheit and lower). I get the dreaded 'Ride to low' and 'air suspension fault' and then the front of the car drops. It gets better after my car sits in my heated garage overnight but drops by the time I get to the office.

So, my question is: Has anyone else done the above mentioned Arnot Coil Spring conversion? What are the pro's and con's of getting this done? Does it set off any codes? Thanks for your help!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I just replaced my fronts with the Arnott designed units, not the remanufactured, and all is good. I was hesitant to replace them with the coil spring units as I like the dynamics of the car the way it is.

I spoke to my indi mechanic and he does not see faults with the Arnott air shocks like he does with the OEMs. From the Arnott website: "The Arnott-designed aftermarket part eliminates many of the common high wear designs such as the leaky upper seal, noisy upper mounts, and the weak lower rubber sealing design"

Last edited by MarcB; 12-27-2013 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XJL (12-27-2013)

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Fault- Ride Too low !