XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air suspension shocks and compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Air suspension shocks and compressor

I was online the other day and in Ebay I saw this Company "Suncore " about air suspension Products, their air shocks and compressor run at a very good price and since I need to replace mine I'm thinking in giving them a shot.
My question to them was if their Air Spring and compressors are Arnotts (which I already know it's quality ) but they answered , No, that it's their own made by them "Suncore " but the only difference I see it's basically the Suncore label on them.
So my question is; Has anyone bought this brand before "Suncore" ?? Are they any good like the Arnotts ??
Thank you 😎👍

Old 08-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Suncore vs Arnott

I am also looking for replacements for an XJR. One issue I have with the Arnotts is that they are NOT active dampening units, which WILL affect ride. Given the Suncores are REBUILT units, I would think that they are ACTIVE. Have you gotten that far with Suncore? I would also be interested to know if any others have used their products, and how well they were made and held up.

Thanks,

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

The Audi A8 use almost the same "shocks" as active dampening air springs. Seen people use Suncore with good results. The rebuilds are normally, tear down, clean up, change a couple o-rings, and install new rubber bladder. Then nice paint. Not a lot for 3-5 hundred dollars.
Seems all rebuilders have a few duds. Having a warrenty covers you here.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 847 Likes on 529 Posts

I replaced one of my front air springs with a Suncore unit. Here is the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-158981/page2/

So far so good.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default A Little Background on Arnott Designed New Struts

As long time forum members may recall Arnott offered remanufactured OE Jaguar struts for several years before discontinuing them. While we thoroughly test each used strut before completely rebuilding them – the Jaguar remans still had a higher failure rate than we wanted. We still remanufactured plenty of other vehicle struts but we found our new Arnott designed Jaguar units for the X350 & X358 Chassis provide an excellent ride with no miles on the shock damper and no complaints about the strut or ride quality.

The Arnott designed new struts, while not offering CATS functionality, drive exceptionally well. If you search this forum you will find great reviews of our new struts. The new shock is custom tuned to provide a superior ride and provides many years of reliability and ride quality. While we recommend replacing them in pairs, many customers have installed ours on one side with an OE unit still on the other side. Of course you also don't have a core deposit with the New struts either.

We offer new Arnott designed struts now for vehicles with Sport and Comfort Suspensions (as well as our coil spring conversion kits and air suspension compressors). For more information click here: https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_JAGUAR_yid20.html

The following 2 users liked this post by arnottdoug:
Don B (08-31-2016), mikebaker3 (09-05-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by arnottdoug
As long time forum members may recall Arnott offered remanufactured OE Jaguar struts for several years before discontinuing them. While we thoroughly test each used strut before completely rebuilding them – the Jaguar remans still had a higher failure rate than we wanted. We still remanufactured plenty of other vehicle struts but we found our new Arnott designed Jaguar units for the X350 & X358 Chassis provide an excellent ride with no miles on the shock damper and no complaints about the strut or ride quality.

The Arnott designed new struts, while not offering CATS functionality, drive exceptionally well. If you search this forum you will find great reviews of our new struts. The new shock is custom tuned to provide a superior ride and provides many years of reliability and ride quality. While we recommend replacing them in pairs, many customers have installed ours on one side with an OE unit still on the other side. Of course you also don't have a core deposit with the New struts either.

We offer new Arnott designed struts now for vehicles with Sport and Comfort Suspensions (as well as our coil spring conversion kits and air suspension compressors). For more information click here: https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_JAGUAR_yid20.html
Good information , question :
I noticed that when I replaced my rear air shocks with new Arnotts they came longer than the ones I saw in the Arnott installation video and I had to use an extra jack to jack them up in order to make it close to level it with the control arm to insert the screw that hold it in place, I have to replace the front ones soon and the Arnott video online shows an air spring that is shorter than the one for sale which it looks longer the do not show how to install a longer air spring in the video I mean how to make it shrink for installation

Old 09-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Received 13,088 Likes on 6,520 Posts

Originally Posted by rf69
Good information , question :
I noticed that when I replaced my rear air shocks with new Arnotts they came longer than the ones I saw in the Arnott installation video and I had to use an extra jack to jack them up in order to make it close to level it with the control arm to insert the screw that hold it in place, I have to replace the front ones soon and the Arnott video online shows an air spring that is shorter than the one for sale which it looks longer the do not show how to install a longer air spring in the video I mean how to make it shrink for installation

Hi rf69,

The trick on the rear units is that you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II (do not crank the engine), then pull the gear select lever to the Neutral position. The rear suspension will suddenly drop with a loud "thunk." Return the gear shift lever to Park and remove the key. You will now find that you can install the rear air springs/dampers with no need to compress them. This instruction appears in one of the Arnott videos, but it does not appear in the printed instructions that Arnott supplies with the kits and on their website. When I called the Arnott customer service department the representative I spoke with also failed to tell me about dropping the rear suspension even though I was asking why the shocks seemed too long. Frustrated, I went back and watched the YouTube video to see why it seemed so easy to install the rear units, and there was the trick about dropping the rear suspension.

Doug, could you have this important step added to the printed instructions? One other thing - in the X350 instruction video on YouTube, the female narrator repeatedly refers to "nuts" as "bolts." We understand what she's talking about, but it undermines the otherwise highly-professional presentation.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-04-2016 at 02:17 PM.
jackra_1 (09-03-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi rf69,

The trick on the rear units is that you have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II (do not crank the engine), then pull the gear select lever to the Neutral position. The rear suspension will suddenly drop with a loud "thunk." Return the gear shift lever to Park and remove the key. You will now find that you can install the rear air springs/dampers with no need to compress them. This instruction appears in one of the Arnott videos, but it does not appear in the printed instructions that Arnott supplies with the kits and on their website. When I called the Arnott customer service department the representative I spoke with also failed to tell me about dropping the rear suspension even though I was asking why the shocks seemed too long.

Doug, could you have this important step added to the printed instructions? One other thing - in the X350 instruction video on YouTube, the female narrator repeatedly refers to "nuts" as "bolts." We understand what she's talking about, but it undermines the otherwise highly-professional presentation.

Cheers,

Don
Oh man that was awesome information, thanks I really appreciated the other thing is the CATS System Fault message that I have it does not go away even I tried disconnecting the battery but it didn't do anything I suppose it'll go away once I replace the front air shocks.I 'll be installing the front ones soon, I'm ready to buy now my Arnotts in EBay.
Thank you for the advice

Old 09-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Another trick I figured out on my second Arnott conversion:

Installing the rear units by yourself is challenging because the units are heavy and you must align the four threaded studs with the holes in the body/shock tower "blind." You can't see what you are doing from below. Even with a helper it's difficult.

The solution I came up with was to slip a section of rubber tubing on each of the two threaded studs that fit through the larger holes in the body. The four holes for studs are arranged in a rectangle and the two larger holes are diagonal from one another.

Suitable tubing will have an inside diameter that will fit snugly on the studs (maybe 1/4 in. to 5/16 in.?), and have walls that are thin enough that the tube will fit through the larger holes in the body. The tubes should be long enough that they will extend through the holes while the air spring/damper is standing at rest with its lower bushing on the ground below the car.

Feed the upper ends of the tubes through the holes in the body, and as you raise the air spring/damper, the tubing will guide the studs into the holes. If you have a helper, have her or him gently pull on the tubing from inside the trunk and it works even better.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-04-2016 at 02:45 PM.
jackra_1 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Another trick I figured out on my second Arnott conversion:

Installing the rear units by yourself is challenging because the units are heavy and you must align the four threaded studs with the holes in the body/shock tower "blind." You can't see what you are doing from below. Even with a helper it's difficult.

The solution I came up with was to slip a section of rubber tubing on each of the two threaded studs that fit through the larger holes in the body. The four holes for studs are arranged in a rectangle and the two larger holes are diagonal from one another.

Suitable tubing will have an inside diameter that will fit snugly on the studs (maybe 1/4 in. to 5/16 in.?), and have walls that are thin enough that the tube will fit through the larger holes in the body. The tubes should be long enough that they will extend through the holes while the air spring/damper is standing at rest with its lower bushing on the ground below the car.

Feed the upper ends of the tubes through the holes in the body, and as you raise the air spring/damper, the tubing will guide the studs into the holes. If you have a helper, have her or him gently pull on the tubing from inside the trunk and it works even better.

Cheers,

Don
Cool, good information but I already installed by myself the rear air shocks it was challenging a year ago and payed the price of not knowing about turning the key to position 2 and neutral for the rear suspension to drop, I was talking about the front air shocks.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rf69
Cool, good information but I already installed by myself the rear air shocks it was challenging a year ago and payed the price of not knowing about turning the key to position 2 and neutral for the rear suspension to drop, I was talking about the front air shocks.
You won't have the same difficulty on the fronts as long as you raise the front end of the car and support it on jack stands so the front suspension hangs down by the weight of the wheels. The Arnott units are of similar length to the OE units. You may need to put a floor jack under the suspension and raise it slightly to get the lower shock bolt hole aligned with the hole in the control arm. It helps to leave the top four stud nuts loose to give you some wiggle room while aligning the lower bolt holes.

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

So if I turn my ignition to position II and for some reason shift into neutral the rear will drop? I cannot think of why I might do that accidentily, but that is something that does not sound good for the car.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
So if I turn my ignition to position II and for some reason shift into neutral the rear will drop? I cannot think of why I might do that accidentily, but that is something that does not sound good for the car.
It will only do that if the rear end of the car is jacked up with the wheels off the ground. The halfshafts are part of the rear suspension design and the tension in the differential/transmission restricts them from rotating and dropping as long as the transmission is in Park.