XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Airbag light fix with Autoenginuity

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Airbag light fix with Autoenginuity

Hi,

Just thought I'd post some observations when I recently fixed my airbag light as they might help someone else.

Initially had a code 19 (driver's airbag - shown on flashing airbag light). When I finally got around to doing something, it had turned into code 17 (occupant position system).

Now as far as I can tell, code 17 needs to be reset through a scan tool which initiates a "recalibration" assuming there is no other underlying fault. It was for this reason I bought Autoenginuity.

First problem was to get AE to talk to the car properly. The UK supplier (gendan.co.uk) was very helpful when things didn't work first time. The short answer was mine is a 2006 model. There were significant changes in 2006 and AE needs to be set to 2005 to talk properly with the Restraint Control Module. For other modules it does need to be set to 2006. I also need to set it to "XJ8" although mine is an XJ6.

So using AE, I cleared the fault codes which did clear code 17 from the airbag light. This then reverted to the original code 19. Now AE won't give the extended PID codes which the dealer tool will, but you can monitor the live sensor data which is rather cool. From this I could see that one driver airbag circuit was reading over 6 ohms where it should be 2.5 ohms.
With the airbag removed, I fitted a couple of wire links to the airbag connectors (2.5 ohm resistors would have been better) so I could use AE to read resistances as I played around with the clockspring.

I'm pretty sure it was actually the connector to clockspring that was the problem rather than the clockspring itself. However I had a spare clocksping (bargain £20 off ebay!) which I fitted anyway.

Put everything back and presto! all fixed.

Julian.

The following 2 users liked this post by jbarringer:
Cambo (10-21-2012), GGG (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

wow, very good detective work with the tools available sy you! You had me REALLY interested with the thread title, and when you mentioned 'AE communicating' with the car...I have had mine for 4 years and have always been told its a one-way conversatioin. I then realized what you used AE for...good job! As you are a pioneer in the utilization of AE for SRS diagnosis, this would have been a great 'how to' thread for our FAQ archives if you had taken some screen shots and described your troubleshooting steps for others to follow. Nonetheless, it gives hope to others, I'm sure.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll certainly try to document things a little better next time. I've had the airbag light on for at least 2 years so it was a pleasure to see it go.

As for AE I'm still experimenting to see what else I can do. At the weekend I could see how to disengage the rear brakes for service, but then that is easily accomplished just by holding the parking switch down. I had a quick hunt to see if I could change other customer options (e.g. I had the dealer disable drive-away locking when I first bought the car), but no luck yet.

I think the biggest problem is to know exactly which module is responsible for a specific function. I probably need to read the manual...

Julian.