XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Aircondition problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aircondition problem

I have a problem with my a/c. The other day i was driving around in 74 degree weather when suddenly my a/c turns the heat on. I had it on Auto set at 75, so first I thought that it was trying to compensate for the outside lower temp. Turns out the heat never turned off, so I manually set the temp to LOW with that a/c on. Now it was a mix of hot and cool air coming out. After about 5 minutes of this suddenly the a/c starts working normally again. While I had the problem, I tired to turn the whole system OFF and back on. That didn't fix it. I tried to turn the engine off and back on, and that didn't fix it either. The a/c is charged properly, and I have no strange noises from the compressor. When it works normally the a/c works really good and is freezing cold.
I'm thinking I have a sensor problem somewhere. Any suggestions????

Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 760 Likes on 636 Posts

I have not had any problems with my CC fortunately but since you have had no replies here goes:

It seems that the system will run ok on manual-have you tried this?

When running on auto it cools the air down (to remove moisture) and if you are

calling for heat it heats the air up again.

Now there are seven yes seven servo powered baffles in the system and it

may be that if one or more of these is not working then you may get the symptoms that you have described.

There was a recent post on the Uk forum I think where one servo was not

working due to a stripped wire.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetrooster
I have a problem with my a/c. The other day i was driving around in 74 degree weather when suddenly my a/c turns the heat on. I had it on Auto set at 75, so first I thought that it was trying to compensate for the outside lower temp. Turns out the heat never turned off, so I manually set the temp to LOW with that a/c on. Now it was a mix of hot and cool air coming out. After about 5 minutes of this suddenly the a/c starts working normally again. While I had the problem, I tired to turn the whole system OFF and back on. That didn't fix it. I tried to turn the engine off and back on, and that didn't fix it either. The a/c is charged properly, and I have no strange noises from the compressor. When it works normally the a/c works really good and is freezing cold.
I'm thinking I have a sensor problem somewhere. Any suggestions????
I too am having a mixture of hot and cold air. You can fill hot at the top of the vent and cold at the botton then when it gets below 96 it gets cold but only for a bit.

If I keep the fan on low it stays colder longer

if it gets too warm I shut down and in a few it gets cold

but!!!! over 96 it stays hot

I've read a lot of people with problems but if they got them fixed, they sure arent telling the solution. Why is that?

Last edited by UKnFor-dluv-expat; 07-04-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I felt like it
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Expat,
Have you had your Freon charge checked ?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
Expat,
Have you had your Freon charge checked ?
Yes, first thing I did. The guy has a robinair machine that is supposed to be very accurate I assume. He's a craigslister mech. the machine defaults to 15 on a vacuum, he said he did that 2 times and then recharged. I don't know if it automatically puts the right amount in or what.

I lost his trust when he told me I needed a discharge tem sensor. I may in fact, and he said he'd do it for 900 bucks plus, "$126.42" for the part. I looked it up in the JTIS and it looks like a 20 minute job tops. lol

The part is 21 dollars. There is also sun sensor on the dash. A tsb says to get rid of it, hummm I wonder why.

So now I am totally regretting using this guy $39.00 for a charge. Ya gets what ya pays for!

But the tsb for x-type 2002 says drain and "weight" exactly the amount, and "make sure scale" is calibrated accurate. for "extreme hot zone areas."

So obviously, a bit of rocket science goes along way for this a/c system. Only problem is getting a mechanic to conform and take it serious. People are stubburn