XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

AJ34 to AJ34S conversion - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AJ34 to AJ34S conversion - Any thoughts?

Hi All,

To start, if this has been addressed or done by someone already, please just point me in the right direction, don't instruct me on the wonders of the search box... Been there done that to no avail...

Just a bit of background (though skip to the bottom for the actual question)

I've been a lurker on JF for nearly 10 years, and during that time have done two frame off restorations of a 92 and a 93 XJ40 VDP that was my grandmonthers with 280,000 mint miles. Sadly last November after 5 years of work, a 92 to 93 interior conversion and restoration, engine/drive-line/suspension rebuild and full bare metal paint job; a week after completion a Chevy 3500 parked in my trunk, bent the frame in 3 places - thus totaling my baby...

I wasn't too keen on starting from scratch (for a third time), and my insurance company (USAA) treated me quite well, so I instead bought a 09 VDP LWB with 90,000 miles for about 13. Since then I've replaced the full suspension (new air components all around) bushings, full entertainment system with new drivers and amps, built custom headlights with Acrua TSB Bi-Xenons, full LED conversion through-out, and an XJR brake conversion.

Now for the project and questions:

With all of that done, I've contemplated swapping the 300hp AJ34 to the 400hp supercharged AJ34S effectively making my VDP a Super V8. I know the engines are virtually identical, and I can buy a complete supercharged engine, with the charger, piping, all accessories, wiring and computer for about 2500 dollars. I can swap the engine in a day, but my question is this;

I know there is an auxiliary cooling system and pump for the SC, and vacuum piping for what I assume is the waste-gate. Is there anything else I need to worry about, either sensors, electrical or piping that would be problematic? I have an 09 which has the cam sensors, which from what I can tell the earlier SC version does not, though if I install the computer and it's wiring harness would be moot... Is there anything I have to worry about with coding?

I'm aware that the ECU and other car computers talk over the fiber optic buss, but I wasn't sure if I had to code the other computers to talk to the main one or if it was a drop in.

I just wanted to pick you all's brains as I know some of you are more, shall we say, 'Hands on' and like me cant leave well enough alone. I figure that having only paid 13, and the fact that I got a LWB VDP with every option I wanted less the SC, I can put in an engine and the associated parts and still be money ahead on a SuperV8 which the few I've found have started in the 18-20 range and wont have my upgrades.

Am I crazy?

Just a few pics of my custom 93 VDP;

And the new 09;

Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

It's interesting you made this post today...just yesterday I was wondering if it was possible to install one of the newer 5.0 SC engines in an X350. More knowledgeable members should be along soon to give their thoughts.

I am curious about those screens in the back...care to share any info?

Last edited by XJ8JR; 06-07-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Great minds think alike perhaps? I don't know about the 5.0, though if the electronics and engine config aren't too different I may look at that myself...

On the screens, they're Sony 10.1 inch touch screens with built in DVD players, and HDMI/Video. I custom made brackets that are bolted internally to the seat mechanism above the tray tables, and wired through the factory loom. I mounted them in such a way to look like the new XJ's screens but are totally reversible. I left the factory sound system (Head unit, nav and amp) in place, but added a Helix 8 Channel Sound processor with a built in 1600 watt 6 channel amp. Those in turn drive Hertz audio components and JL 6.5 subs in the factory locations (wanted it to look stock).

I added a bypass into the Nav unit wiring to add a screen input for both Backup camera, and multimedia, and then did a second link to the two Sony screens so they all show the same thing.

My next step is to add a Ardunio/raspberry pi based car-puter for usb, sd, hard drive and internet audio, and modern nav, that will work in tandem with the factory setup since all of the nav, AC and car functions are through the nav screen, and audio will be direct line in both via fiber optic and line in to the Helix sound processor. I'm also adding a BluRay player in the factory DVD player spot which will finish the system off.

I know that was a really wordy response to your question, but I wanted to retrofit the factory Jag rear entertainment system, and found I could make a much better system, overhaul the factory sound system, and still save money

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (06-07-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Probably the cheapest (and for sure the quickest) way is to sell the car and buy one with the engine you want.

The AJ34S has multiple changes that aren't immediately obvious and if you tried to use an AJ34 you could expect to have to re-engineer it at enormous pain and cost - but do read the previous threads on this sort of idea. And then there are the computer issues...

Oh, and think about compression ratios...

Old 06-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I believe the transmission is geared differently also. And there are two fuel pumps in an XJR...just one example of the many differences outside the engine bay.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:16 AM

Many thanks for the input guys .

Is there anyone that's put a true mechanical list of variations together between the NA and Supercharged models, beyond the dual fuel pumps, aux water system and possible trans gearing (Plus LSD)? @JagV8, Can you point me to the previous threads you're referring to? I've looked under every criteria I can think of, and haven't found anyone that's come close to this, outside of a LS1 swap on a failed S Type R...

The easiest option to compare would be to simply pull mine apart and compare, but sadly I don't have access to an R to get a comparison to...

I'd planned to swap the engine out with a low mileage R engine anyway so internals and compression aren't a problem. I can buy a complete R engine repeat with supercharger, all ancillaries, wiring and computer for between 2000 and 2500, and swap it myself in a day. I may do a trans for another 5-800. My question is more, the 'What else' IE sensors, piping, and so on...

Cost wise, I have unlimited time, I'm doing all the work myself, and due to a number of circumstances, I got a 09 VDP with the color and option list I wanted, as well as a complete brand new suspension system front and rear, and my own custom entertainment system, for 10 grand below sticker. It would cost me almost 3 times what I paid, and double what I'd get on trade, to get a comparable SuperV8 or Portfolio (between 20 and 25 in my area plus 5 for new suspension and entertainment), so that's not really feasable...

Last edited by HarpersMuse; 06-09-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:49 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by HarpersMuse
Many thanks for the input guys .

Is there anyone that's put a true mechanical list of variations together between the NA and Supercharged models, beyond the dual fuel pumps, aux water system and possible trans gearing (Plus LSD)? @JagV8, Can you point me to the previous threads you're referring to? I've looked under every criteria I can think of, and haven't found anyone that's come close to this, outside of a LS1 swap on a failed S Type R...

The easiest option to compare would be to simply pull mine apart and compare, but sadly I don't have access to an R to get a comparison to...

I'd planned to swap the engine out with a low mileage R engine anyway so internals and compression aren't a problem. I can buy a complete R engine repeat with supercharger, all ancillaries, wiring and computer for between 2000 and 2500, and swap it myself in a day. I may do a trans for another 5-800. My question is more, the 'What else' IE sensors, piping, and so on...

Cost wise, I have unlimited time, I'm doing all the work myself, and due to a number of circumstances, I got a 09 VDP with the color and option list I wanted, as well as a complete brand new suspension system front and rear, and my own custom entertainment system, for 10 grand below sticker. It would cost me almost 3 times what I paid, and double what I'd get on trade, to get a comparable SuperV8 or Portfolio (between 20 and 25 in my area plus 5 for new suspension and entertainment), so that's not really feasable...
It's not as easy as an engine swap. You would have to gut another vehicle, including harnesses, ECM, TCM, all modules, transmission...

Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

There are threads all over the forums. There are tech details in the Tech Guides. It's a lot of computer work even if you start with an SC engine.

Everyone who thought they could do it gave up when they put in some effort to see what is really involved.

It's so much simpler to sell and buy the right car.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Which JL Audio 6 1/2's

Those in turn drive Hertz audio components and JL 6.5 subs in the factory locations (wanted it to look stock)[/QUOTE]

Which JL Audio woofers did you use in the back? I want to replace the ones in my XJR.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM

@Panelhead, I used a pair of JL Audio 6W3v3-4 driven off the Helix amp.

@JagV8, I'll definitely check the tech section. I hadn't thought that was what that section was for (mainly maintenance and so on), but after months of searching, I'm not finding anything here in the main forums... I'll likely end up hunting a totaled xjr and do a complete drive train, and electrical/module swap which isn't overly difficult, just time consuming.

Sadly after several years of searching, "the right car" or more specifically "the car with the right options" doesn't exist... So I'm making the right car for me

I'll check the tech section and see what I can find.