XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Alarm testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Alarm testing

So the Jag (2004 XJR) was broken into while in the drive for the last four days.

They tried to steal the battery, but could not get one of the clamp bolts out and gave in. Clock stopped at 5:05, presumably a.m. as both terminals were disconnected. I need to check the manual to see what the restraining mechanism should look like as all I see now is a bent coathanger type wire, and there is clearly a bolt missing. They took the Raybans from the overhead console and the phone charger cable, but left CDs in the cab and CD magazine in the trunk mounted player and the nav DVD, so I assume they were only after the battery for it's scrap value?

My question is how did they get in, and why did the alarm not sound?
Pretty sure, but not 100%, that the car was locked, but no signs of forced entry. Am I right in thinking there can only be 256 different keys for our cars (4 slots and 4 heights for each)? But even still seems unlikely that they had a good fit? Surely not the previous owner? Something that faked the key fob signal?
Car will be in the garage tonight and cameras will be installed, but that is not a cure.

How do I know if the alarm works or not, if it does not activate until the car is locked and only goes off if something is opened? Will it activate if the window is open and then I reach in? (sorry, at work at the moment, just thinking this through, considering the tests to run tonight).
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

On the positive side your car was not stolen and there was no window or body damage.

Make no mistake these Jags can be stolen. I know it has happened in the UK.

The Chinese make all the gear to fool the security systems including the people who make the Mongoose (SDD)!

Since they were only after the battery,did not know how to remove it and did not have the tools to

remove it, it is very unlikely they had the gear to fool the electronics and therefore that leads

me to believe that the Jag was unlocked.

Best to put it in the garage out of sight.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Indeed, it could have been a lot worse.
I did extract a confession from the GF that she had been in the car on Sunday morning fetching something and may have left it unlocked. That alleviates concerns about the car security.
Yes, her car was the one to sit on the drive last night, under the watchful gaze of our new dusk to dawn lights. We will also be looking into a few cameras to cover the area and deter future episodes.
A trip to the scrapyard might be needed to retrieve all missing parts from the battery restraint system, but visiting there is never a chore.

Mostly I am annoyed about the sunglasses!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

A guy in England went to a city notorious for thieving and got a puncture. As he was fixing it he saw a little 'Ned' heaving away at the battery in the open boot. So he shouted out - "Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing !!", to which the response was - "well, if you're having the wheels I'm having the battery ".

Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM

LOL, I can empathise there, one year driving from Cambridge to Le Mans we got a puncture on the outskirts of Rouen and stopped to fix it. An agitated local came past on a motorbike and told us we had to move, this was not a good place to stop the people living close by would come rob us. Pretty sure that was the fastest I ever unpacked a week's camping gear, changed a wheel and re-packed a car, in the dark.

Still no idea if he was winding us up, but he didn't hang around to help us either.