XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

All 04 XJRs Fitted With Fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 10:58 AM
Received 127 Likes on 102 Posts
Default All 04 XJRs Fitted With Fuel Filter?

While following the proceduire for removing the false bulkhead, the manual says to remove a gas filter shown to be by the shock well on the left side for a LH drive vehicle. If it is there, I don't see it. There are 2 capped pipes where I think the filter is shown to be in the diagram.

Unless someone stole it in the dead of night, the car is as I purchase her fvrom the dealer.

Since, as many of you know, I'm far from an expert on this stuff, I thought that I would ask just in case I've misread the diagram.

So, does anyone know if there were XJRs built in 2004 missing the aforementioned fuel filter?

Thanks,

Steve S.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

To my understanding it is behind rocker panel. You will have to remove plastic covering from bottom.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ge-how-119351/

Doing mine in April
Regards...

Old 03-18-2024, 04:40 PM

Thanks, Big Koshka..

Based on my humble understanding, this filter has no relationship to the false bulkhead that I want to remove in order to remove the SC.

I wish that I were proficient enough to copy the page in the workshop manual to this thread. It is peculiar that this is listed as something needing to be removed before removing the false bulkhead?

So, I will proceed with the next 1000 steps.

Best,

Steve S.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:01 AM
Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Thanks, Big Koshka..

Based on my humble understanding, this filter has no relationship to the false bulkhead that I want to remove in order to remove the SC.

I wish that I were proficient enough to copy the page in the workshop manual to this thread. It is peculiar that this is listed as something needing to be removed before removing the false bulkhead?

So, I will proceed with the next 1000 steps.

Best,

Steve S.
Hi Steve,
Just a thought, the instructions for different cars are interleaved in the instructions. Check that the section you are reading pertains to your car (i.e. Supercharged). In the generic sections such as removing the false bulkhead, all the models are mixed in, and are not differentiated in a very obvious way. What I did was print the relevant pages, and then put red marker through the non-applicable sections. Then it made sense. You may not even have to evacuate the air con system. I know I didn't on mine.

Pete M

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:15 AM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

IMHO the Jaguar workshop manual is not the best in the world, it sometimes takes things for granted that not everyone knows, and sometimes I think that also Jaguar mechanics have to guess...

In this case, I am with Pete, although there is only one section for the removal of the secondary bulkhead center panel without any distinction between versions, I believe that the part mentioned is for the Diesel, as Diesels very often have a fuel filter in the engine compartment.
The main fuel filter that versions have is the one mentioned by Big Koshka and which sits underneath the car, near to the fuel tank.

Look at the following picture. You will see on the top right that the fuel line goes to the chromed part next to the oil filler cap, which I believe to be a kind of fuel pressure regulator, and from there directly to the fuel rail of the engine. As you can see, I did not remove it, ans as my car is also a MY2004 supercharged car, it should look the same on your car.

Best regards,

Thomas

04Xjrsteve (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 11:37 AM

Thanks, Thomas M. & Pete S.

It seems that it takes this forum, the divination of the perplexing manual & rereading the excellent posts, Stickies, etc., plus "just doing it" to make this task attainble. Without your help, I would not be able to move forward & yes, Pete, that is exactly how my 04 R looks.

BTW: If you didn't watch the Youtube Big Koshka sent, it is a hoot. I wonder in which dealership the mechanic works?

Steve S.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:00 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas-S.
IMHO the Jaguar workshop manual is not the best in the world, it sometimes takes things for granted that not everyone knows, and sometimes I think that also Jaguar mechanics have to guess...

In this case, I am with Pete, although there is only one section for the removal of the secondary bulkhead center panel without any distinction between versions, I believe that the part mentioned is for the Diesel, as Diesels very often have a fuel filter in the engine compartment.
The main fuel filter that versions have is the one mentioned by Big Koshka and which sits underneath the car, near to the fuel tank.

Look at the following picture. You will see on the top right that the fuel line goes to the chromed part next to the oil filler cap, which I believe to be a kind of fuel pressure regulator, and from there directly to the fuel rail of the engine. As you can see, I did not remove it, ans as my car is also a MY2004 supercharged car, it should look the same on your car.

Best regards,

Thomas
Dealer/Factory mechanics don't need to guess because we went to training classes as cars and systems were introduced.
The JTIS and TSBs/Service actions may be vague to most people but Jaguar assumes that the techs were trained and the documents were just CLARIFICATIONS of info that we got. We could also call JAGUAR TECHNICAL HOTLINE if there was confusion or specific problems with a car, ESPECIALLY a car in factory warranty.

I guess people get angry that a 'step-by-step' guide for appendix removal is not published as general publication in case somebody needs it?
Why keep medical procedures private when ANYONE can cut with a knife? (the documents were never for the general public but for factory/dealer trained mechanics)

Chilton and Haynes manuals were written for the masses. Factory manuals were written for dealer techs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaguar (or any manufacturer) has no responsibility for plagiarized or stolen repair manuals released to the public without permission so I would be grateful for the info in public light.(I have not read about any lawsuits regarding online publication of these materials)

JTIS and factory training is what we got as well as monthly TSBs and TECH TIPS. (we also talked to each other in the shop and traded info)

When you work on one brand of car with factory training and only a few models ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, the manual seems superfluous at times.

RANT OVER, CARRY ON!

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
04Xjrsteve (03-20-2024), sov211 (04-02-2024), Thermite (04-01-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,944 Likes on 769 Posts

If all else fails......

04Xjrsteve (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 04:44 AM
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Well, I have cars from different brands (Audi, VW, Mercedes) and for all of them I have the original manufacturers workshop manuals. The statement that in my opinion the Jaguar manual is not the best comes from the comparison I have with these manuals. On the other hand, it is also not the worst, the Opel manual is worse... ;-)

That said, off course people working on a daily basis on these cars have a different knowledge and usage of the manuals.

Best regards,

Thomas

The following 2 users liked this post by Thomas-S.:
04Xjrsteve (03-20-2024), motorcarman (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 11:40 AM

Dear Motorcarman,

Thank you for the delightful diversion from the everyday grind.

Volumes could indeed be penned critiquing the medical field. Unless one subscribes to Luciferianism, a child with an imminent appendicitis requires swift and expert surgery from the most adept and qualified surgeon available. My grandfather, a distinguished internist and surgeon who died in the early 1950s with a medical school wing named after him, would instruct his interns with a simple mantra: “See one, do one, teach one.” But let’s not stray too far from the topic at hand.

In contrast to ailing children, cars, even the venerable '04 XJR, can be unceremoniously dispatched to the junkyard, which is the fate of many. Taking such a vehicle to the local dealer for repairs is an exercise in futility on several levels. In my neck of the woods, you’re barred from speaking directly to a mechanic, left guessing whether parts are in stock, and thus, predicting outcomes becomes a Herculean task. It’s one of life’s little ironies that upon awakening one morning to wealth, respect is often the first casualty. Indeed, with elevated expectations comes a greater propensity for disappointment. I imagine if you’re swimming in the same financial pool as Gates or Bezos, you have minions to shield you from such trivial dealership dismays.

Now at 76, I fondly recall my first car, a nearly new Chevy, a generous gift from a beloved uncle when I first obtained my learner’s permit. It was intended for his wife, but her battle with alcoholism meant it was I who cherished it. As a cadet, my father presented me with a new Beetle. Post-college, I reveled in the power of a GTO and the classic charm of a '67 Healey 3000. Then came five blissful years of marriage and subsequently, four children. My wife and I ceased tallying our automotive acquisitions after surpassing thirty-something in our 55 years of matrimony. Less than half survived beyond 10K miles post-warranty before being traded. From the mundane to the almost exotic, we’ve likely had them all, yet never once did I wield a wrench. It was always dealer repairs and maintenance for us.

But then, in the grand automotive saga of '04, my Jag rolled into my life. Post-warranty, she became my mechanical muse, inspiring me to don the hat of a grease monkey, courtesy of this forum & JCNA. I started with the rotors and pads—she didn’t really need them, but I fancied giving her a brake makeover. It was like giving a fish a bath, utterly unnecessary but immensely satisfying.

From there, it was a domino effect: shocks, compressor, sensors, clock spring, tie rods, joints, spark plugs, coils—you name it, I’ve tinkered with it. I’ve become the wizard of the wrench, the sorcerer of spark plugs, the oracle of oil changes. Ironic that such a dinky little fitting can cause such consternation leading me almost to the point of constipation!

Now, she’s holed up in the garage, awaiting a valley hose transplant, along with any other rubber relics that decide to reveal themselves. If my mechanical magic fails, it’s the tow truck’s time to shine, and she’ll either donate her organs to the needy or take a final bow on the scrap metal stage. Meanwhile, she’s not lonely; two other chariots stand vigil in the garage.

This task is like trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube with oven mitts on—my most challenging quest yet. And when the siren call of the golf course beckons or a fellow sailor beckons, I find myself musing, “Why swap a wrench for a wedge or a sheet?” The answer is simple: for the thrill of the fix, the pursuit of the possible, the sheer joy of proving I can!

With a tip of the cap to this fine community, I’m gearing up to triumph over the valley hose villainy. Thanks to you all, I’m revved up and ready to roll! 🏎️🔧

Thermite (04-01-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 03:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 06 VDP the fuel filter is under the floor just behind the driver seat by the frame rail. Accessed from under the car by removing the long aero cover panel that runs front to back on that side.

04Xjrsteve (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:51 AM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Do give up yer "day job'

This task is like trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube with oven mitts on—my most challenging quest yet. And when the siren call of the golf course beckons or a fellow sailor beckons, I find myself musing, “Why swap a wrench for a wedge or a sheet?” The answer is simple: for the thrill of the fix, the pursuit of the possible, the sheer joy of proving I can!

With a tip of the cap to this fine community, I’m gearing up to triumph over the valley hose villainy. Thanks to you all, I’m revved up and ready to roll! 🏎️🔧
Damn. Only a few years younger and still have "the passion"? You should mebbe take on wrting for Literotica as well?

I kid you not. Well.. if at least your MEMORY is still 'up for it', anyway....

Press on. Regardless!

04Xjrsteve (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 01:52 PM

Thanks, Bill!

Yes, press on with vigor!! I shall press on with the vigor of a caffeinated squirrel during nut season!!

Keep smilen,

Steve S.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Dealer/Factory mechanics don't need to guess because we went to training classes as cars and systems were introduced.
The JTIS and TSBs/Service actions may be vague to most people but Jaguar assumes that the techs were trained and the documents were just CLARIFICATIONS of info that we got. We could also call JAGUAR TECHNICAL HOTLINE if there was confusion or specific problems with a car, ESPECIALLY a car in factory warranty.

I guess people get angry that a 'step-by-step' guide for appendix removal is not published as general publication in case somebody needs it?
Why keep medical procedures private when ANYONE can cut with a knife? (the documents were never for the general public but for factory/dealer trained mechanics)

Chilton and Haynes manuals were written for the masses. Factory manuals were written for dealer techs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaguar (or any manufacturer) has no responsibility for plagiarized or stolen repair manuals released to the public without permission so I would be grateful for the info in public light.(I have not read about any lawsuits regarding online publication of these materials)

JTIS and factory training is what we got as well as monthly TSBs and TECH TIPS. (we also talked to each other in the shop and traded info)

When you work on one brand of car with factory training and only a few models ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, the manual seems superfluous at times.

RANT OVER, CARRY ON!
big right on from me bob. I worked heavy duty diesel for years. Specialized in cummins engines and freightliner tractors. Learned a lot of so called tricks and nuances from those with more knowledge than me and some on my own. The actual rebuild manual for one of the most popular engines was like a huge comic book in appearance. It always amazed me on how things changed but also stayed the same. I was out of the profession right before heavy diesel started getting electronic controls of any kind

Thermite (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 05:59 AM

Thanks, Bill!

Yes, press on with vigor!! I shall press on with the vigor of a caffeinated squirrel during nut season!!

Keep smilen,

Steve S.
Since you mentioned tree-rats... I finally cut down the last but one of the 'too-many' trees this modest residence came in the door with, 33+ years ago, and counting.

Deprived of the last monstrously mature Oaks whose upper roots were trying to destroy my driveways and foundation walls.. and succeeding at it.. their tree-rat body-guards were then obligated to emigrate to other properties.

Thankfully, ones far enough away that I no longer have to clear acorns and rodent-feces out of the sunroof drains, and a dozen OTHER places the clever little bastid's invaded, year-on-year.

I then also engaged the part-time services of my neighbour's bored-to-killing-for-the-pure-sport-of-it .... cats.

The kind that can lick their own ****, ergo not a JLR product that requires regular infusions of money to accomplish that task.

Whom, ever, wudda thunk that trees - that one didn't even park near - still had such an indirectly deleterious effect on the maintenance or longevity of JLR motorcars?

Ratless life is good!!!

I've kept the caffeine, though.

04Xjrsteve (04-03-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:57 AM

Thanks, Bill. Pleased to know you got rid of the trees. Little else is worst for property than an invasive tree!

Now, that I've removed the prerequisite obstructions, I get to remove the supercharger. Wish me luck.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:55 PM

Thanks, Bill. Pleased to know you got rid of the trees. Little else is worst for property than an invasive tree!
I love healthy trees.. Most Appalachian residenters do. But 'genuine' climate change, scaremongering politics quite aside, has given the once semi-tropical zones of Virginia some scary fire-warning periods, and worsening. Higher peak winds than we once had are also trending worse, each passing year.

ONE of my trees did $4600 in body-damage to the adjacent neighbour's new Toyota SUV.
A branch torn off another damaged my roof.
Yet another scratched the previously prisitine paint of the Jaguar.
An earlier excursion damaged bodywork of a Dodge caravan, etc.

Time to honour the threat to roof and motorcars ... as well as sidewalks, driveways, and foundation.

Now, that I've removed the prerequisite obstructions, I get to remove the supercharger. Wish me luck.
GMC 2-stroke Diesel "air raid siren" experience doesn't even begin to 'convey' atall, so 'no help from here' beyond "bearings really matter".

I don't have a blower on either my 4.2 or 5.0.

Must say from all the coverage over what has become longish years by now, the Eaton units seem to be far LESS hassle than I would have once expected. Tempting to make the switch just to be able to choose METAL front coolant pipe!

You shouldn't have any serious trouble dealing with it.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-04-2024 at 01:03 PM.
04Xjrsteve (04-04-2024)