XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

All 4 door SPEAKERS INOPERATIVE

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All 4 door SPEAKERS INOPERATIVE

My audio is now only partially operative. Initially I had nothing until I purchased a used amplifier. The replacement amplifier restored my tweeters and base but nothing out of my 4 door speakers. I noticed that there are two different models of amplifiers for my 2007 model year. One has #ZR83-18C808-BA and the other #ZR83-18C808-AJ. My original amp ended with an AJ whereas my replacement ends with an BA. Is there a speaker wiring difference between the two that would eliminate the inop door speakers? If that is not the case, I guess I'll have to remove the door panels and check for attachment corrosion referenced by others with door speaker issues, as I have no way to test the replacement amp I received.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:14 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Could it be that the difference between amplifiers is wether there is an rear entertainment center or not? I do not have schematic for 2007.
Probability that all 4 door speakers not working because of wiring issues inside door are zero to none! Look for something common for all doors.

Old 04-29-2023, 01:02 PM
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

Im sure the last 2 letters indicate the revision number so the new one you have is a newer version. Do you have the Alpine speakers? These are prone to the coil wires breaking or the continuity between the speaker connection and the coil wires going open loop. Take a door card off and have a look at the speaker and it will be obvious if a wire has broken. You can solder them back but I am now on my 3rd or 4th speaker that has done it and I am considering something else to replace them.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Most likely NOT the amplifier. The Alpine door speakers have a well-known failure mode where the connections in the voice coil wires corroded and open the voice coil connection. They can be fixed with a soldering iron and a new wire placed, to bypass the original wire.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...o-sound-22696/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...failure-68885/

Old 05-24-2023, 09:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alpine door mid speakers inop.

Finally resolved my stereo system failure. Initially, the base problem was the amplifier located in the left side of the trunk. Bought a used identical amplifier and regained sound from my rear shelf base, dash and all for tweeters. Removed my door panels and discovered that all four Alpine mid door speakers had corroded wires between the soldered attachment , rendering them inop. Rather than attempt the delicate and space limited access of soldering a bypass wire, as recommended by another for a cheap fix, I just purchased identical year used Phillips speakers. for $70. The Phillips speaker are identical in size and hole mount but the wiring is different from the Alpine, in that is a more durable connection. I now have wonderful sound quality that I don't know how it cold be improved for my taste.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All 4 door speakers inop.

I had same issue and YES it turned out ALL 4 speakers had indeed failed!!!!
Got a quality set off ebay for $80 and all good. O big piece of advise is that the Door card requires a REALLY HARD / sharp pull to remove.

My audio is now only partially operative. Initially I had nothing until I purchased a used amplifier. The replacement amplifier restored my tweeters and base but nothing out of my 4 door speakers. I noticed that there are two different models of amplifiers for my 2007 model year. One has #ZR83-18C808-BA and the other #ZR83-18C808-AJ. My original amp ended with an AJ whereas my replacement ends with an BA. Is there a speaker wiring difference between the two that would eliminate the inop door speakers? If that is not the case, I guess I'll have to remove the door panels and check for attachment corrosion referenced by others with door speaker issues, as I have no way to test the replacement amp I received.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-23-2024, 06:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skywarrior
My audio is now only partially operative. Initially I had nothing until I purchased a used amplifier. The replacement amplifier restored my tweeters and base but nothing out of my 4 door speakers. I noticed that there are two different models of amplifiers for my 2007 model year. One has #ZR83-18C808-BA and the other #ZR83-18C808-AJ. My original amp ended with an AJ whereas my replacement ends with an BA. Is there a speaker wiring difference between the two that would eliminate the inop door speakers? If that is not the case, I guess I'll have to remove the door panels and check for attachment corrosion referenced by others with door speaker issues, as I have no way to test the replacement amp I received.

i got an AJ to replace the same model number.