XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Alternative temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
When I made the selection it stated that my 2005 XJR was compatible.

UPDATE:
Original transaction details
Description Unit price Qty Amount
RealGauge Module and Installation Kit-Std ship
Select Year: 2005, Model: XJ8 / XJR, Left or Right Hand Drive: LHD $129.95 USD 1 $129.95 USD

Shipping and handling: $5.15 USD
Total: $135.10 USD

They refunded my purchase and stated that it does not work on the X358. They do not mention the X350
I should probably read the rest of this thread before posting, but an ultragauge and an OBDII splitter cable from Amazon gives me accurate temperature info (and much more) and an easier to reach place to plug in my i930 when I need it for less than the cost of the gagues that would not work on your X358 and if you buy the Plus UG you get the ability to log acceleration and performance data. (not used that aspect yet, but it's there if I need to)

Last edited by philwarner; 12-05-2016 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

My main objective is to get the gauge layout on my head unit. In theory this should be possible with my Navtool.

Failing that have some sort of display in place of the ash tray.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

My main objective is to get the gauge layout on my head unit. In theory this should be possible with my Navtool.

Failing that have some sort of display in place of the ash tray.
An Ultragauge would fit there, although I prefer to have mine on a windscreen mount so I don't move my eyes very far from the road. They also have a bluetooth version that works with android and ipad/iphone devices;one of those could fit the ash tray area too. Not as OEM looking as doing it on the dash screen, but quick to set up and can be switched to other vehicles for code reading.

The only UG con I've found is that the fuel use values my 98 Land Rover Discovery OBDII reports are too low and not what the UG expects to see; I've had to set up a wildly high calibration number to get it even close. Without calibration it said I was getting 2000 or more MPG and I had to put it in our minivan for awhile so it would think enough fuel had been used to even let me access the calibration function.

jackra_1 (12-05-2016)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Default Finally

So finally got round to displaying Torque Pro on my head display.

Still several issues to solve however I am pleased with results.

One issue is understanding Torque Pro settings and one is finding an app that turns the tablet on and off appropriately.

I am using an Android tablet that has an HDMI out socket along with a conversion box to create RGB which goes into my
already installed NAVTOOL device.

Attached Thumbnails Alternative temp gauge-p1080136.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Now if I could get something that received the ELM Bluetooth signals and gave RGB output I could use one of the RGB inputs on my Navtool.
Right now I have a DVD player and my rear view camera hooked up to display on my Jaguar Nav screen.
This will work for you. Buy an Android media box that has the following:

Starts on plug in (no on off switch) They are either 12 volt or 5 volt.
Supports Bluetooth
Supports wireless
Has Google play installed.

You can find them on Bay starting @ $60 for these features. Now they are intended to be used to stream movies but they work great to stream Torque Pro gauges. You can customize the gauges. You can set it up to launch right to the gauge screen on startup. PM me if you go down this road and need help. Since your Navtool is already installed, I would guess this will take you a couple of hours.

See my install here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-camp2-175877/

You won't need the GVIF box as you have the Nav tool.
You can add a second box that autostart's google maps too and you no longer need the outdated Nav maps.

It will cost you about $125 since you don't need the GVIF box.

It only operates when you run the vehicle but I'm personally going to change OBD2 BT plug in to one that has a power switch. Even though I keep my battery on a tender, the BT will draw constant power (low draw but still a draw) even when the car is off and I don't want to give the port pins a workout by unplugging and replugging all the time.

jackra_1 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

So finally got round to displaying Torque Pro on my head display.

Still several issues to solve however I am pleased with results.

One issue is understanding Torque Pro settings and one is finding an app that turns the tablet on and off appropriately.

I am using an Android tablet that has an HDMI out socket along with a conversion box to create RGB which goes into my
already installed NAVTOOL device.
Ha! we were typing at the same time. Since I'm using a streamer media box, they just shut off, no need to power down like a PC. To start them, I just wired to an acc wire. To launch Torque pro, I use "Autostart" and have torque pro set to launch on my gauges. SO once to box boots, the app launches. Autostart is a free app.

To power down, as mentioned, media boxes just shut off with power off, no issue. You could use "tasker" app to control the power off by setting the tablet to shut down when it no longer receives a signal from the OBD2 dongle, for say 30 minutes (in case your running errands.)

But the only solution I found to power on was to use the media box, instead of a tablet so I don't have to push buttons.

jackra_1 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Ha! we were typing at the same time. Since I'm using a streamer media box, they just shut off, no need to power down like a PC. To start them, I just wired to an acc wire. To launch Torque pro, I use "Autostart" and have torque pro set to launch on my gauges. SO once to box boots, the app launches. Autostart is a free app.

To power down, as mentioned, media boxes just shut off with power off, no issue. You could use "tasker" app to control the power off by setting the tablet to shut down when it no longer receives a signal from the OBD2 dongle, for say 30 minutes (in case your running errands.)

But the only solution I found to power on was to use the media box, instead of a tablet so I don't have to push buttons.
Thank you Sean.

For the time being I am going to try the apps you suggest. I do have the tablet positioned where I can access the power button easily.
Everything is inside the center console which I have cut to fit.

With the Navtool device I have three screens that I can toggle switch to.

The standard Jaguar screen, rearview camera, and the Torque Pro screen.

I am interested in an ELM 327 type device with a power button.

Also looking at NAV software that is voice activated.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you Sean.

For the time being I am going to try the apps you suggest. I do have the tablet positioned where I can access the power button easily.
Everything is inside the center console which I have cut to fit.

With the Navtool device I have three screens that I can toggle switch to.

The standard Jaguar screen, rearview camera, and the Torque Pro screen.

I am interested in an ELM 327 type device with a power button.

Also looking at NAV software that is voice activated.

Good news then. If the power on button is convenient, your solution is elegant Jack. The XK has so little room to spare in the cabin, I have my streamer velcro'd to the top rear of the boot. Plus I like that I don't have to charge it.

You'll like Autostart and Tasker but I should have mentioned, Tasker is designed for phones and sometimes doesn't play well on some tablets. It'll only cost you a few $ to find out.

I've thought, as mentioned of adding a second box and if I do it will be to auto launch google maps. While I could get by with a mini keyboard, I thought I might get one with a voice command remote. Ultimately though, I just never use maps so it would be a project for projects sake and not worth my time. adding a second box would take 15 minutes.

Here are the only 2 OBD2 dongles that I can find that have on/ off buttons. Let me know if you see more please. There's a YouTube video by frodo where he gives a Torque Pro demo and I think he recommends one and has a link. I'm not sure if it's the same as the ones I found.

Mini ELM327 With ON/OFF Switch OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Auto Scanner | eBay

Amazon Amazon

Nice work.

Last edited by Sean W; 02-11-2017 at 09:16 AM.
jackra_1 (02-11-2017)