XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

am i supposed to see and feel the suspension move ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i supposed to see and feel the suspension move ???

when i turn the key on? in an 04 xj8. I really need to know please help. im not sure if i should buy this car. im in talks now with the guy

Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe mine moves at all when just hopping in and putting in the key. When I notice it, I've usually been driving a bit and at a stop light or something

Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

I think the air suspension compressor does kick in upon ignition. The XJR may not be as noticeable since it should be a stiffer setup.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Mijo,

Get in the car after it has set overnight and has not been started. Start the car as you sight over the hood toward a reference point. You should observe no upward movement of the front of the car in the next 5 seconds. If you see any upward movement you probably have a leak and the compressor has come on to correct the ride height.

IMO in upward adjustment of less tham 1/2 inch is nothing to get excited about and I would not be too conserned. If, however, you have 3/4 inch or better upward adjustment than the car has an air leak someplace that needs adressing.

The amount of movement and what constitutes too much is arguable. My car jumps up less than 3/4 inch each am in Florida. I once let it sit for 4 days in zero weather and it went all the way down and threw a code but raised right up and cleared the code. I have elected to do nothing till it gets a lot worse in Florida conditions, fully aware, however, that this causes the compressor to do more work than if the car were perfect.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Mijo,

Get in the car after it has set overnight and has not been started. Start the car as you sight over the hood toward a reference point. You should observe no upward movement of the front of the car in the next 5 seconds. If you see any upward movement you probably have a leak and the compressor has come on to correct the ride height.

IMO in upward adjustment of less tham 1/2 inch is nothing to get excited about and I would not be too conserned. If, however, you have 3/4 inch or better upward adjustment than the car has an air leak someplace that needs adressing.

The amount of movement and what constitutes too much is arguable. My car jumps up less than 3/4 inch each am in Florida. I once let it sit for 4 days in zero weather and it went all the way down and threw a code but raised right up and cleared the code. I have elected to do nothing till it gets a lot worse in Florida conditions, fully aware, however, that this causes the compressor to do more work than if the car were perfect.
all mine were moving upward ,one I could not keep was adjusting so often and so hardly,never they could find or diagnose a leak,I had to sell it,now that last x358 moves upward but being inside it is hard to know for sure,and yes the suspension are loose in average.It is litigious to know if a suspension error message is due to a leak ,while they seems to have an hard time to find it,and often a change of compressor or the valve outside the air tank remove the message error.I heard a mecanic saying they can't find micro leaks,or intermitents leaks and one saying the aluminium air reservoir could become porous quite fast...well I changed it and the valve and compressor it has never resolve the suspension movments.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

These cars are not like the old Citroens which used to drag themselves, (and seemingly reluctantly), up off the floor like an old camel in Egypt. In these cars the "springing" was turned off every time the engine was switched off.

On these Jaguars the air springs are permanently "on" but slight leakage may result in the car lowering over a period of days. Normally the car will automatically raise itself back to the correct ride height when the compressor can recharge the system. For what it's worth, I don't notice any movement on my X350, but it has only done 33,000 miles so may not be typical.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what I notice with my '06 XJ8, 60,000 miles: After pulling into the garage in the evening, there is a hiss or release of pressure in the rear suspension, then in the front. This occurs 20-30 seconds after the car is turned off. The car lowers maybe 1/2 inch, but it doesn't sit down on the ground.
I think this is OK. My Mercedes 560SEL did the same thing with it's hydraulic rear suspension, it hissed and settled after shutting down, but did not drop to the floor.
If this isn't OK for a Jag, well, crap....

Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM

when I pull into the garage in the evening the engine is hot. Sitting there the under hood heat probably raises the pressure in the front shocks causing them to exhaust a little air to maintain the height? During the night as everything cools down, (particularly in Calgary), the air in the shocks cools and contracts, causing the car to lower - I believe the suspension goes into sleep mode and will not raise the suspension again until the car is started, when it raises the car to its ride height. This is what I observe most mornings - start engine, front of the car rises slightly, the amount seems to depend on the overnight temp. The rear is not affected as much because it is not subjected to the engine heat. Not sure if this is correct but it keeps my tiny little mind happy!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if Jaguar told us all about the air suspension and what one can expect, so we don't all worry ourselves into early graves !!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by TNJohn
This is what I notice with my '06 XJ8, 60,000 miles: After pulling into the garage in the evening, there is a hiss or release of pressure in the rear suspension, then in the front. This occurs 20-30 seconds after the car is turned off. The car lowers maybe 1/2 inch, but it doesn't sit down on the ground.
If this isn't OK for a Jag, well, crap....
My 04 XJ8 does this same thing and has done it since new. I think this is normal.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove up to a busines with mini blinds and noticed that my lights were not even. Is this a sign I may have a problem? What tips to you have to verify you have a leak?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I experience the same hiss/small raise scenario as discussed here and I did have a faulty compressor replaced in April. The shocks were all tested by the dealership and all was well.

For what this is worth, I have not since had a code triggered nor has the car bottomed out or appeared uneven.

I feel confident that everything is status quo here.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Wouldn't it be nice if Jaguar told us all about the air suspension and what one can expect, so we don't all worry ourselves into early graves !!
oh yes really,the dealership I visited when experiencing ,"anomalie air suspension" were after removing the error message not really resolving handling or the car readjusting all the time,this car was almost not to be driven..,.what they cares is what part they can't change to remove the error message and it is pretty poor for jag and it does not resolve the problem indeed.
Since micro or intermitent leaks are so hard to diagnose jaguar will never talk about the air suspension cause you will beocme teh ebst advocate against themselve.it is really poor for me and maybe teh reason why I indeed buy a car under warranty ,and maybe again why they wil not fix it correctly caus ethey simply dont care or cause it simply cost too much for jagaur france,they are poor and they look at all expenses like if it was not to be done..a real pity here .......I asked jag france a written letter that they will be willing to fix my car correctly this time,,it was suggest by Arden themselves,it has taken just too long!

I will have been smarter to use hydraulic suspension and it maybe much easier to diagnose problems or leaks then.they are not that smart at my eyes or to create things dealer can diagnose then yes they are smart!

the last delaership in avignon after I complained 20 times about the shcok demultiplicater or the column moving told me ,it moves up and down but not left to right,,,,this is good for a guy from a bakery or from the salvation army but not from Jaguar,,they are not formed by jaguar but maybe hired in a charity organisation?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Banned

you know what is the jaguar test road about suspension and it does not resolve leaks at all and even with leaks the car will just pass it fine.

go to a railroad and notice the car will be soft before and firm right when you drive to the railroad...this is good for kids.....the car can be firm and still have a leak.

after I sold the car the dealership told me he never saw this before...a pity.... we are not well informed with jaguar.

here in france and it is teh same in Uk except you do not loose your licence in UK with radars every 100 meters like in Paris (where compare to UK who do loose points and hundred thousand driving licence every year) .,so imagine paying tolls very often and expensive,filling out the gas tank for 120 euros $150 ,not being able to find a parking spot ,or some where they will break your door and more if they ever could...all of this plus jaguar seating on the fact you should not drive more than 90 miles per hour etc....and they can't fix a vehicule ,then you realise the whole experience is penible,and probably the worst here in this poor guillotine country. repression is crisis indeed....

It looks like Jaguar is mistaking warranty with friendly customer service and they may think a good talk on the phone regurlarly may compensate with a very poor service...but in no way it does!

Last edited by xjpassion; 07-20-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I believe that they DID tell us something when they removed air suspension (front) from the new XJ's. On my 2004 I've had both front air shocks replaced (at 3 1/2 years and 12,300 miles, under warranty) and then one year later the compressor needed replacement. (At 15,600 miles, and six months out-of-warranty.) Ouch!!!

Now, even though the car is acting normally and it only has a total 18,200 miles, I may be worrying myself towards an early grave. Having said all that, I still LOVE my jag!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Mine rises up every morning when I start the car. It's done that since the day I bought it. Occasionally when I'm sitting at a traffic light, after driving for a while, I will notice it level out by rising up a little. Seems normal to me.

Most of my driveway is on a hill with the exception of the part at the top near the garage. When I'm parked on the hill the front suspension seems to be lower than the rear when I look at it in the morning; when I'm up on the flat part it doesn't appear to lower as much. I seem to recall reading a thread where it was stated that the car will release air when parked to try to keep the car leveled to the lowest wheel hight... so in other words if you are facing uphill (like my driveway) the front of the car will lower to get more inline with the back. I have no idea if that statement was valid, but it sounded good when I read it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe the amount the vehicle raises when switched on depends on the weight of the driver etc pushing down on the suspension and needs to counter this more depending on weight???
No faults on mine and ride is like a magic carpet...when I remove the key and get out of my car the suspension lowers itself which I take as normal standby mode?

Took this from JTIS if its any help?
The vehicle dynamic suspension is a passive air suspension system providing vehicle levelling independent of load. The system also improves the drag coefficiency by automatically lowering the vehicle for high speed driving.When driving at high speeds, the air suspension system will lower the vehicle to improve aerodynamics and vehicle stability. The suspension will automatically return the vehicle to the normal ride height when the vehicle slows.Speed lowering is disabled when towing. Only Jaguar approved towing equipment will inhibit this feature.The air suspension system ensures that the vehicle is always at the correct ride height for varying load conditions.The air suspension system automatically adjusts the amount of air in the air springs to level the vehicle. Air is supplied either from an air reservoir or a compressor. The compressor will run periodically to fill the air reservoir.The air suspension module (ASM) controls the operation of the solenoids in the valve block. The front air springs are operated as a pair, the rear air springs are operated independently of each other. The ASM adjusts one axle at a time, for example, when lifting the vehicle the rear axle is controlled first; when lowering the vehicle the front axle is controlled first. This reduces headlamp glare during leveling operations.The ASM uses two different filter rates. When stationery, a 'fast' filter allows the system to react quickly to payload changes. Whilst driving a 'slow' filter allows for compensation of the fuel level change but does not react to road inputs for example pot holes and speed bumps.
Suspension Height Sensors
Four suspension height sensors are provided which are mounted on the front and rear subframe assemblies. The suspension height sensors are linked to the suspension arms by drop link connections and secured by means of a spring clip.Suspension height sensors require calibration if removed/refitted or replaced.
Air Springs
Two derivatives of the air spring are available, comfort and sport, the sport having slightly smaller working volumes for higher spring rates.The air springs are complemented by two versions of damper assembly, passive and active. When removing and refitting the air spring and damper assemblys care must be taken to avoid damage to the internal seal assembly. When working on the air spring and damper assembly, ensure that no twisting occurs between the air spring top mounting and damper body. Twisting may result in damage to the air spring inner components.
A pressure retaining valve (PRV) is located in each air spring which retains sufficient pressure to protect the air spring membrane during service and handling.De-pressurization and re-pressurization of the air suspension system should be performed using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system prior to, and after, any work being carried out.
Solenoid Valve Block
The solenoid valve block contains five individual solenoid valves consisting of one per air spring and one for the vehicle reservoir. A pressure sensor is incorporated into the solenoid valve block and monitors air spring and reservoir pressure. The solenoid valve block is mounted on isolators to reduce valve operation noise. Pipe connections are provided for the front and rear air spring assemblies and also the reservoir and compressor. The compressor to valve block port and the rear air spring ports are 4 mm in diameter with the front air spring ports being 6 mm in diameter. Each of the solenoid valve block ports and air pipes are color coded (pink, blue, white, yellow, red and brown) for correct connection.
Reservoir
The reservoir has a volume of 4.5 liters with a maximum design pressure of 15 bar (218 psi). Dependent on load conditions this store of reserve air is sufficient for two full lifts. The system automatically replenishes the reservoir by way of the compressor.
Air Suspension Module
The air suspension module (ASM) is accessed from the right-hand side of the vehicle, behind the back of the rear seat. The ASM can be recognized by the 4 individually colored connectors (gold, grey, yellow and pink) and the WABCO emblazoned logo on the front of the module. ASM calibration is required when either a replacement module is fitted, or if any height sensors have been removed/refitted or replaced.If installing a new air suspension module it will be necessary to set the (ASM) into the customer mode using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system.
Compressor
The air compressor is located in the left-hand front wheel arch behind the bumper beam assembly. It contains an air filter, an integral regenerative air drier element plus an air exhaust solenoid valve. The compressor is isolated from the main body structure by 3 mounts, each incorporating a rubber bush and metal spring. The maximum pressure developed by the system is 15 bar (218 psi) with a compressor pressure relief valve fitted, set to relieve pressures above 17 Bar (247 psi). The compressor only operates whilst the engine is running. To guard against the compressor overheating the (ASM) may shut down the compressor to allow cooling to take place. Re-activation of the compressor depends on vehicle activity and is generally no longer than 120 seconds.