XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

The annoying MAP sensor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The annoying MAP sensor!

Hallo everyone!

I have a problem with my Jaguar xj8 2004 years model. For a long time the engine malfunction
lamp lit and the code is P0105, that is the MAP sensor. However, the MAP sensor was replaced,
but the problem is still the same. After that I contacted the authorized Jaguar dealer for a software
update, but that didn't help. No one of the Jaguar service here have any idéa what to do. I told them
that I should ask here at Jaguarforum and they looked forward to see the suggestions people here
have. As they and I know many here are very skilled with the problems that we can have with
our cats. Now a decription about this: 80% of the time when the engine malfunction lamp lits it
is when I have drive around 6 km and in slow speed, around 50-60 km/h. That is also the point
when the engine have nearly or just reached its working normal temperature. After 24 hours and
when I have started the car 7 times the lamp turns off. Then it can take everything from just a
day to several weeks before it lits again. But I don't want this fault so I hope someone here
can give a clue to what to do. I read that someone have replaced the MAF sensor and after
that the problem was gone. Any suggestions here, will be printed out and showed to Jaugar
as the car should be at service for a lesser problem in around 2 weeks.

Best Wishes

Unicorn

Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 PM

I had a problem with mine. I changed it with a aftermarket brand, and still had the same problem. so I spent the money and bought the OEM brand, Denso, and problem went away.
I hope i can post this site, this is where i got mine from.
https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...html?3594=2217

Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a 2006 SuperV8 portfolio with 29k miles on the 4day trip home the check engine light would come every day and go off. When I got home I took it to a shop in Dallas and they scanned it with live data and said the MAS and PCV were working but reacting slowing. I replaced both and no CEL for the last 250 miles.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanx for your input shdw2001h and charliepace. Well my mapsensor is an original and as i know it is den that is making them for jaguar. I think cleaning or replace the pcv is a good suggestion. If I remember it correct i think there is a comment about how to cleaned the pcv here on the forum.

Regards
unicorn

Old 04-09-2016, 11:04 AM

check from the air filter to the throttle body for leaks. I had the maf sensor leaking around the ring at one time an cased the light to come on too. I think you have a good place to start with the pvc cleaning.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by unicorn
Thanx for your input shdw2001h and charliepace. Well my mapsensor is an original and as i know it is den that is making them for jaguar. I think cleaning or replace the pcv is a good suggestion. If I remember it correct i think there is a comment about how to cleaned the pcv here on the forum.

Regards
unicorn
If you remove the PVC, and give it a shake you should hear a rattle from inside. If not, spray some parts and brake cleaner in both ends, shake for a few seconds, and pour out. You may have to repeat a couple of times. Use judiciously.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM

Thanx Box for your input.
if i remember it correct the pvc should be cleaned but i will take another look at it when i start to work with this, it will be in about 2 weeks from now, meantime i will read the input here with the suggestions how it can be possible to solve this mess.

regards

unicorn

Old 05-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Hallo everyone.
tomorrow, after 6 weeks of waiting i shall leave the car to a jaguar dealer. he liked the ideas here and a new air filter will be fixed. the pvc valve will be checked, and ofcourse replaced if needed. leeks will also be checked. i will wait to change the maf sensor as that is easy to fix myself. the car have another problem that also will be fixed so i it will be at jaguar until the next week.
thanx for your help!

regards

unicorn

Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day fellow jag owners,
I have a 2005 XJ8L and need to replace the MAP sensor , can anyone send me a diagram showing its location please

Old 06-03-2016, 09:39 AM

the map sensor is located with the number 5 in this picture, it is not easy to change and if you do it the correct way, it is around 3 hours of work.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
If you remove the PVC, and give it a shake you should hear a rattle from inside. If not, spray some parts and brake cleaner in both ends, shake for a few seconds, and pour out. You may have to repeat a couple of times. Use judiciously.
Are you talking about the Disc shaped attachment over Bank 1? I removed mine last week to replace the o-rings, but there was definitely no rattle, does it need replaced? Could it be affecting fuel trims by letting air in somehow?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:35 AM
Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Check your EGR valve. It can screw up your MAP readings.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That is not a PCV valve. I really do not think our cars have one in the antiquated sense. The disc on the passenger side is just an oil separator. I don't think there is much to fail in there. I replace mine searching for a vacuum leak to no effect. These can be frustrating problems to solve usually resulting in a vacuum leak somewhere (but not always, as suggested in the posts). Good luck.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:27 AM
Default PCV valve on 4.2

According to the workshop manual:
On vehicles fitted with a 3.5L or 4.2L engine the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system consists of a PCV valve, and two PCV hoses. The PCV valve is mounted on the right-hand valve cover and a hose is connected between PCV valve and the throttle body elbow. The PCV valve regulates the amount of ventilation air and crankcase gas supplied to the intake manifold and also prevents backfiring into the crankcase. The left-hand valve cover PCV hose is connected to the air cleaner outlet pipe.
Whether strictly orifice controlled or ball/diaphragm I do not know. Haven't taken one apart yet.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:25 AM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by unicorn
the map sensor is located with the number 5 in this picture, it is not easy to change and if you do it the correct way, it is around 3 hours of work.
Out of curiosity; what is #12? I thought that was the MAP sensor.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by pkoko
Out of curiosity; what is #12? I thought that was the MAP sensor.

That's the MAF sensor.

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 07:31 AM

Thank you..

So how do I know which one needs replacement? I get an occasional check engine light (it happened twice already, but no impact on driveability or performance) ; I will post the actual code later when it happens again.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by pkoko
Thank you..

So how do I know which one needs replacement? I get an occasional check engine light (it happened twice already, but no impact on driveability or performance) ; I will post the actual code later when it happens again.
The unfortunate truth is that you'll need to connect it to SDD or at least Torque to see what's going on and work it out for yourself. There don't seem to be many experts on these cars on the Internet, I suspect the majority of people just take their cars to mechanics. Not good for the likes of us that work on our cars ourselves.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:28 AM

The MAF sensor will throw a code during normal driving. The MAP sensor comes into play when you make quick throttle changes because it responds much faster than the MAF. This may help decide which is causing the issue.

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (06-09-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 01:03 PM

I need honest help. How on earth do you replace the map sensor? It is very hard to reach as I can't even see it or feel it. Any instructions on how to do this job?

Is this a job for DIY or should I pay a mechanic?

EDIT: Is the valve cover gasket? Is this something that needs to be addressed ASAP? Finally, is it something that DIY can do or a mechanic-only job?

Last edited by pkoko; 07-01-2022 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: The annoying MAP sensor!