XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Anybody Had These Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

By the way, The PAS additive cured the moaning/groaning noise. Still have on clue about the radio. Checking ground contact points.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

So grinding is going to occur under only a couple of conditions and 1 is metal on metal which occurs when the pads are completely worn. Clearly not your issue. The second is a foreign object between the pads and rotor. Also not likely your issue.

Squealing is more likely what is happening because your pads are semi metallic, so you still have metal on metal. The other causes are improper break in which glazes the pad and dust. A hosing will resolve the dust.

If your inspections reveal no glazing, I would simply replace the pads with ceramic or non metallic organic. Take a look at the break in procedure, at your leisure. My money is on the pads. (Well actually it's your money).

Glad the additive worked. You may find it returns when the weather gets cold.

Sorry, I can't offer any assistance on the radio. That one's a first.

The following users liked this post:
joeleerj (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Thanks Sean W.

Gonna grab a set of ceramic pads today and see if that has an effect.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I have a groan from the brakes just before the car comes to a stand. Car has been checked and everything is OK, so I suspect it is the pads, but I'm too mean to replace them as they have plenty of life in them yet. I have just got used to this "feature" !

Old 10-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I have a groan from the brakes just before the car comes to a stand. Car has been checked and everything is OK, so I suspect it is the pads, but I'm too mean to replace them as they have plenty of life in them yet. I have just got used to this "feature" !
Fraser, you may benefit from that TSB attached in my earlier post mate.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

I understand you position Fraser, but, I'm a medical professional and I consider extraneous noises from mechanical devices to be the same as pain in the human body. It's a sign that something's wrong, even if we decide to do nothing about it.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Sean W ,

I think you will find that Brembo pads are not stamped with arrows , but the the steel shim that sits between the pad and piston are .

joeleer ,

Brembo style caliper and disc pad are reasonably easy to remove and replace , I can't see what you could have done to cause this problem .

If your the caliper piston was sticking , you would normally hear noise with your foot off the the brake , not when your about to pull up .

As the noise is consistent when the pad comes into contact with the rotor I would think of replacing the brake pads , it almost sounds like a compound problem .

Good luck with that

Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mastersid
Sean W ,

I think you will find that Brembo pads are not stamped with arrows , but the the steel shim that sits between the pad and piston are .
Yes I think it was understood that I didn't mean the literal pad

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-01-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by mastersid
Sean W ,

joeleer ,

Brembo style caliper and disc pad are reasonably easy to remove and replace , I can't see what you could have done to cause this problem .

If your the caliper piston was sticking , you would normally hear noise with your foot off the the brake , not when your about to pull up .

As the noise is consistent when the pad comes into contact with the rotor I would think of replacing the brake pads , it almost sounds like a compound problem .

Good luck with that

Thanks mastersid,

I think it is a compound problem as well. That's why I'm replacing the pad with ceramic and looking into having the calipers serviced/rebuilt.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Yes I think it was understood that I didn't meathe literal pad
Yes it was

Old 11-01-2016, 08:16 AM

Pads should arrive tomorrow. I will update after I install them.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Smile UPDATE!

Changed the front and rear brake pads with ceramic, did the brake in and the noise is still there. Gonna have the caliper rebuilt.
While trying to cure the brake noise, I noticed 2 additional problems.
1st- Ny steering wheel does not lock. I can turn the wheel without the key being in the ignition. HELP!
2nd- I noticed that my antifreeze level is lower that a week ago. I topped it off about 3 weeks ago. Gonna pressure check for leaks.