XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Anyone else get compliments on their Jag?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Always get loads of compliments on mine, really puts a smile on my face and makes my day.
I have at some points though, almost been embarrassed at some that really gush about it, from 19 year old guys driving hot hatches to older guys/ gals in their 40's and 50's

Name:  3333333333_zpsdsd1crzx.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  149.1 KB

I had someone intentionally slow down next to me on the motorway at 80mph and mouth across to me.....NICE CAR

I came out the local shop recently to find 2 guys staring at her, one with hands cupped looking inside who gave lots of compliments.
Once at the local supermarket as I was getting into the car ready to leave, I saw a guy get out of his quite nice and new Merc with his wife and 2 small boys. One of the boys was staring at the car with his dad and I saw the father say, its a Jaaaag son....lol

Really nice..

The following users liked this post:
Pete M (12-08-2019)
Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Naturally I have the same experience of regular compliments and this made me think a little more about it.

I think it is also that - in the UK at least - the 'owner demographic' plays a major role.

No-one would approach a BMW, Audi, Porsche etc driver to compliment them on their car because they don't trust the owner of such cars.

Jaguar owners/drivers however are assumed to be gentlemen (apologies to the few female owners, but most Jaguar owners are middle aged professional males) and so will respond to such an approach politely. I have often surprised commenters by simply opening the doors and inviting them to sit in it. Or popping the bonnet open in the car park - or at the 'Civic Amenity Site' yesterday.

Thoughts?

JimC64 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I agree on the above.
I've spoken to some people for 10 - 20 minutes on the car answering questions etc

Although I do get quite proud at these times, it can also be a little embarrassing as some are really really complimentary and you can only say thank you so many times....lol

Old 09-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Very nice indeed! Have you ever thought about adding a leaper on the bonnet (totally appropriate for this model year)?

The bright aluminum side gill -- does it serve any functional purpose at all?

Old 09-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Very nice indeed! Have you ever thought about adding a leaper on the bonnet (totally appropriate for this model year)?

Jim & I are in the UK. The leaper was never homologated here as it is deemed to be a dangerous projection*. Retro-fitting one has resulted in court appearances and fines. Pedestrian safety rules and fear of litigation in the UK means none of the Jaguars from XJ40 onwards have leapers fitted by the factory.

Sorry to disappoint but the side grills are plastic and purely decorative. Personally I hate them, but they are standard on the X358 and can't easily be removed as the wing pressing has a depression and punched mounting holes.

* Some-one is bound to cite M-B and RR emblems and how by being spring loaded they can still be fitted. Unfortunately the fundamental shape of the leaper means even if spring loaded it can penetrate a pedestrian's body.

Yes I know it is homologated for use elsewhere in Europe.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

I remember that someone pointed out that being hit by 4000 lbs of car might do a little more damage to a pedestrian than a 6" leaper !!!!!!!!
"What about the 4000 lbs of car behind the Leaper?"
I dont want to hijack but.....
US Specs
my XJ-40 VDP (no leaper)
my 308 (leaper) XJR's did not come with leapers
my X350 SV8 (leaper)
And now ALL the Leapers are gone from Jags, along with style and beauty.
Sorry

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 09-16-2015 at 07:44 PM.
NCJagman (12-03-2019)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wolfy

Thanks for the compliment.
Never thought about adding a leaper to my car, it was not fitted from factory, only on to the older models.
I absolutely love them, fitted where they should be on the older classic models, really cool, but conversely am certainly not a fan of those who add them to newer vehicles where they just don't belong, but, each to their own.

The side vents o my car are actually black, these are just stick on aftermarket parts, not to everyone's taste but I personally love them, no real function, purely decorative.

Pete M (12-08-2019)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had compliments all the way from California to Texas. My xj8 has the Mina Gallery mesh grill which really dresses it up. Sort of like a beautiful woman and also really well dressed too.

If I tell them it is 12 years old they are usually astonished.

Tom

Old 12-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,949 Likes on 870 Posts

The "Amicale XJ", here in France. We like to take road trips and lots of people take pictures, or come looking from close and even some ask to take them for a short ride ...

Old 12-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I get compliments regularly on my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L. Actually, it's too good of a car to drive in Michigan as the state has the absolute worst roads in the nation. In fact, the Jaguar's front end is due for some repairs according to my local mechanics, and I can sure see why with all of the chuckholes and rough grade on the Michigan roads.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:45 PM
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

I took a friend of mine on a 164-mile jaunt today (from her place to the coast, and back). I had to drive 50 extra miles from my place to hers and back in order to take her on this "day trip".
She loves the 1997 X330 (XJ6L) and fell asleep while were headed back to her place. She was so comfortable in the front passenger seat that she said the 28-mile part of the eastbound return trip vanished "in the blink of an eye". After we arrived in her hometown, we stopped at a supermarket (which is really nothing more than an over-sized convenience store) a man who passed the Jag said, "nice car" and I replied, "thank you". He then conversed with a woman in a minivan, then got in and drove off with her. (I think he was a tad envious of the "topaz" colored X330).
Needless to say, I adore my Jaguar!

Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

After a while you become a bit jaded, but you still smile and thank them.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:35 PM

Duplicate post.

Last edited by captainobvious1; 04-30-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmm, this seems to be a very interesting topic...
My dad's 04 Jaguar XJ8 rarely gets any compliment, except when we went to have the smog check done for the car (the guy who does the work really loves the car and was shocked to see it's miles which is around 39,000 miles at the time) and a lady who lives near our house who also gives a nice compliment haha.
Funny joke: My dad is so caring towards the car he always cleaned it (to the point where me and my mom had to beg him to stop, especially when we were about to have a trip or something and don't want to be late), and the way he cleaned it caused some argument (he took a rag, dip it in some water then just wipe it, and as a result of doing so, the car has trillion of swirls and tons of streaks... Also he never washed it properly or gave it some polish/wax, which could be why there's some paint chipping on the roof, and he just never care/acknowledge about it, and he always act proud that he kept his car shiny and scratch free... Well dad, don't forget the swirls and the chipping!), and one day while he was cleaning it, 2 old Asian lady came and told my dad that "You cleaned your car so well, a fly couldn't even land on it!", and so I always use that joke whenever he clean his car.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingrider
After a while you become a bit jaded, but you still smile and thank them.
Sounds like a Rock Star!
Disclaimer: I am NOT the Chris Mills (musician) who released "Living in the Aftermath" (however appropriate), although I am very happy to bask in the glow of my X358.
X350/X358 is just the right mix of Modern with Classic, before the train derailed.

Edit: and of course always be careful out there:
Year x: MOT (warrant of fitness) guy: Just blown away, fell over himself.
Year x+1: "your suspension bushes need replacing". (only done 2000km since the last one).

P.S. Tommy: my car is used only weekly if that and kept in an open carport. I had to wash it before every outing. Which inevitably causes the odd scratch eventually. I now keep it under a "soft cover", not suitable for outside weather but doesn't scratch either. Now I seldom have to wash my car.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 05-03-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:06 PM
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Sounds like a Rock Star!
Disclaimer: I am NOT the Chris Mills (musician) who released "Living in the Aftermath" (however appropriate), although I am very happy to bask in the glow of my X358.
X350/X358 is just the right mix of Modern with Classic, before the train derailed.

Edit: and of course always be careful out there:
Year x: MOT (warrant of fitness) guy: Just blown away, fell over himself.
Year x+1: "your suspension bushes need replacing". (only done 2000km since the last one).
Yup, you're right, the X350/X358 is the perfect balance between modern/classic, and although it may have been considered a bit outdated, I think it's still a brilliant piece of creation with technologies that still stand up to this day.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:44 PM

I plan on heading to Mexico in my X330 within the next three weeks. I hope to get some compliments in the California Rest Areas on the way to Tijuana. Pray for my safety.

ps. I just booked my room at the Aqua Rio Hotel www.hotelaquario.com. I'll be there from May 18th-25th. Good food, good times!

Last edited by captainobvious1; 05-03-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:23 PM
Received 273 Likes on 211 Posts

Hopefully Jazzy can chime in. I've seen some piccies of him drag-racing in Mexico! (X350!)
Oh alright then:
Modded 2V Mustang GT vs XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 05-04-2021, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Hopefully Jazzy can chime in. I've seen some piccies of him drag-racing in Mexico! (X350!)
Oh alright then:
Modded 2V Mustang GT vs XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
There are only two divided highways in the Tijuana area and they are both Toll Roads. They are Mexican Federal Highway 1D (running north and south between Tijuana Beach to Ensenada) and Mexican Federal Highway #2 (east and west between Tijuana and Tecate). These are rather routinely patrolled by the BCN State and Federal Police as well as the Mexican Army. It is unlikely that he would have been racing on those particular roads.

Last edited by captainobvious1; 05-04-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 AM
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I get compliments all of the time mostly genuine and some of the "must be nice to be rich" kind. For those, if they are truly not being an *******, I will take the time to explain that I only paid 8K for the car and that I work on it myself because I can't afford a $300.00 a month lease like they have on their Hyundai (Of course I tend to spend that money on my ever declining golf skills!)

Nothing like a little economics lesson given with a smile!

My poor mans car!

Last edited by jluvzcarz; 05-07-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get compliments on their Jag?