XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

anyone know the subwoofer specs for the alpine car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I have searched high and low and can't find the amperage rating on the amps.

But I really don't think any of it matters. As I mentioned before, replacing the drivers will NOT yield much if any improvement whatsoever. IF you want more bass, then you MUST add additional amps & drivers.

If the sound is as bad as you have stated several times, then there is a defect somewhere in your system. Without hearing it myself, I can't tell you if it is drivers or the amps or something else.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Amp

To hear "substancial difference, you will need to add additional Amp. But for just a little pick up thump, jst changing speakers will work. Try it out first, just change the Sub speaker(s) first, then if it's not enough for you, then add the additional Amp.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Default Amps

In my album pics in my profile, I had after market Amps hooked up to every speaker, the stock Sub(replacement speaker) was powered by the 5 channel Amp, and the additional 10" Sub was powered by it's own Amp.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greenhornet
In my album pics in my profile, I had after market Amps hooked up to every speaker, the stock Sub(replacement speaker) was powered by the 5 channel Amp, and the additional 10" Sub was powered by it's own Amp.
Keep in mind we are talking about two different cars here, the X-Type (yours) and the XJ (ours). I don't know what sound system the X-type came with but ours came in 3 flavours, standard, premium 320-watt 12-speaker & 400-watt 15-speaker.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Default Systems

Sorry I did not see this till now, Was not at work on computer today, had to go to another office. It's good to know that Jag did take some interest in putting good systems in their cars like your XJ, my X-Type's system was not bad it was pretty good, not as good as your XJ it looks, but nice. So that stock AMP could probably handle quite a bit of power/watts, replacing the stock subs, i've no doubt it can handle that. When I added larger Subs, I wanted to add an additional Amp to those, and I still believe thats the best idea.

Originally Posted by jahummer
Keep in mind we are talking about two different cars here, the X-Type (yours) and the XJ (ours). I don't know what sound system the X-type came with but ours came in 3 flavours, standard, premium 320-watt 12-speaker & 400-watt 15-speaker.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Default Xj premiun

That must have really sounded good, what was the problem with it? Which one did you have, the 320 or 400 Watt system??

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, the premium systems sound very good for what they are. If they do not, then there is a problem somewhere.

The Super V8 had the 320-watt/12-speaker & the Portfolio had the 400-watt/15-speaker.

And for anyone who cares, watts mean very little when it comes to quality sound...it comes down to current capacity. For example for those who know Marantz amplifiers or even the old HarmonKardon amps, they always had low wattage ratings but high current capacities and therefore sounded better and louder than their higher wattage competition!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Default Systems

So what and why were you wanting to change??

Yes, the premium systems sound very good for what they are. If they do not, then there is a problem somewhere.

The Super V8 had the 320-watt/12-speaker & the Portfolio had the 400-watt/15-speaker.

And for anyone who cares, watts mean very little when it comes to quality sound...it comes down to current capacity. For example for those who know Marantz amplifiers or even the old HarmonKardon amps, they always had low wattage ratings but high current capacities and therefore sounded better and louder than their higher wattage competition!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Not a damn thing! What gave you that idea?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM

i ordered the 2 kickers and want to hear sharp crisp deep bass.. thats my goal here.... not earth shattering car rattling bass but nice deep crisp sounding bass

Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Look forward to "hearing" your results!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Default Systems

I must have misread something wrong or got side tracked, my apologies.

Not a damn thing! What gave you that idea?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Default Systems

Yes, definately let us know the results.

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
i ordered the 2 kickers and want to hear sharp crisp deep bass.. thats my goal here.... not earth shattering car rattling bass but nice deep crisp sounding bass

Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM

got the subs today........ im gonna attempt to do this myself since the rear seat dont have to be removed.....pray for me... lmfao

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 PM

ok So had them professionally installed as I am so afraid of breaking something in this car its not even a joke anymore.... anyway I can confirm they removed the back seat in its entirety and the rear deck to get to them . They also put down Dynamat on the whole rear deck as well to adsorb any vibrations. Also highly recommended by me. They sound MUCH MUCH better w the stock Alpine amp I must honestly say. I was even assured that w a proper separate amp that these things will rock but Im kinda satisfied like this as I am not really looking for the boy racer set up.... I am VERY VERY VERYYYYYYYYYYY impressed with the capabilities of the stock Alpine amp and give 2 thumbs up to Alpine for this....!!!! So my total cost was $125 for the speakers and 100$ for the install and I gave them a $20 tip each to the 2 fellas who worked on it. It took them about 3.0 hrs to do the work and I am very very satisfied....... I highly recommend this swap as the stock subs honestly sound like crap . I know have the bass and sub setting set to max and the bass hits loud deep and clear !!!! sometime down the road I am sure to replace the amp ... Ill let you guys know what I decide to go with. As of right now though it sounds awesome !!!! No post purchase depression here !!!!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

That's awesome! Glad to hear it worked out so well. Did you get a chance to look at the original ones to see if they were blown or anything?

AS it stands now, the premium system in mine makes enough bass to shake the car and rattle teeth maybe if I installed these it would be enough to blow out a few windows

Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jsedita74 - quick question...when you have your "audio" screen on the nav screen, do you have a touch button at the bottom with the speaker icon and a "R" next to it? and if so, can you touch it to activate it on and off? i can't activate mine, and while i can adjust the volume of the subwoofer, i honestly can't hear any difference! i also have the alpine system in my 04 VDP. thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Jade- yes I also have that "R" button on my screen and it is inaccessible to me. I can not click it or do anything with it. Would anyone happen to know what that is exactly? On mine it seems grayed out.... btw No the speakers werent blown just not at all powerful for my tastes......

Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jadedragon1800
jsedita74 - quick question...when you have your "audio" screen on the nav screen, do you have a touch button at the bottom with the speaker icon and a "R" next to it? and if so, can you touch it to activate it on and off? i can't activate mine, and while i can adjust the volume of the subwoofer, i honestly can't hear any difference! i also have the alpine system in my 04 VDP. thanks.

Hmmm, I don't have that button but I can turn up the volume on the sub and it gets very loud, I keep it in the middle and still have a lot of thump.

Do you have a DSP page where you can change which speakers play the loudest? Front center rear?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
Jade- yes I also have that "R" button on my screen and it is inaccessible to me. I can not click it or do anything with it. Would anyone happen to know what that is exactly? On mine it seems grayed out.... btw No the speakers werent blown just not at all powerful for my tastes......

Maybe we have different systems since I do not have that button and apparently mine sounds different from yours. Wish we could compare them side by side.

Quick Reply: anyone know the subwoofer specs for the alpine car?