XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Anyone replaced a light sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone replaced a light sensor?

I'm talking about the one that signals the lights to turn on/off when the switch is set to auto mode. Also where can I find the part (not finding it in the online catalogs at the typical resources)?

The lights are sporadically flickering on and off (> 1 Hz), both at night and in the middle of the day, but only when the selector is set to auto. Also pretty sure it's the light system (as opposed to just individual headlamp bulbs) because the dash lights (touch screen console) is also flickering, that's actually how I noticed it was doing it during the day time.

2004 XJR, HID

BTW, I've seen lots of posts on the XJ8/JX6 (2004 and newer) forum regarding others having the same problem, but no real answers. Lots of suggestions for checking battery or alternator due to low voltage, but no one posting results of replacing either of those things. Also, since it's also occurring in bright daylight when the lights are initially OFF, I can't imagine it being a power draw issue with the light system. Would appreciate any other suggestions if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the sensor replacement.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Whilst it may be the sensor, don't forget that the control software is supposed to prevent the lights turning on and off quickly; there is a delay built in to cater for going under bridges and so on. I notice long tunnels cause the lights to turn on but no shorter dark intervals. The way to test is to cover the sensor, (make it think it is dark and check what happens).

The sensor is the rearmost black knob on dashtop centre.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 VDP and when I place the headlamp delay switch to 10/20/120 sec setting everythnig works fine, but the sensor is not reading that it is daylight and the head lamps stay on. when I place teh switch to off, the info message says that head lamps are off as a warning.
Is this software related or sensor issue?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Default Car Settings

What does it do in 'auto' mode, but without the dealy set? The warning message that headlamps are off is normal if the switch is set to off and it's dark (or inside a garage, possibly even a car port).

If you go to the main menu on the nav screen and select settings (I'm going on memory here, not being in the car). Then you'll have tow other options, something like personal settings and system settings. I believe it is the personal settings that has an option for daytime driving lights. Check to be sure that is set to off.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Default Light Sensor

I checked the menu and while it has system and user setting it does not offer a selection to turn on/off daytime running lights.

I place the switch in the auto position and the lights stay on even in full daylight. When I manually switch the switch to off , the display says "lights are off" as a warning....

I am wondering if this is sensor related or software related. If sensor related, how do I replace? where is it located?

thanks

Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I wonder if the DRLs have been activated in the BPM. Only a dealer can do this with the Jag computer. It sounds like this has been done because of the lights off warning.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM

If your "Headlights are off" message is always there when the switch is in the off position (bright ambient light) I would guess a sensor issue, or something a dealer has to set.
If you look higher in the thread, the sensor is the rear-most of the two sensor of the two in the center of the dash.

I'm taking mine to the dealer in the morning ~ wish me luck!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Went to the Jag Dealer yesterday - in my case the light problems were related to the rain-sensing wipers (which also weren't working) A bad connection inside the base of the rear view mirror was taking out the auto mode of the wipers. Evidently through the software connection that turns the lights on when the wipers are running, it was also shorting out the lights.

Both problems fixed for a $125 diagnostic charge.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the same problem with my 08 S-type.

Lights would shut off at night. On and off quickly during the day. It took a while but I figured out the switch stem on the steering column was the problem. The dealer replaced it and the problem is now gone.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Default Arg

I haven't posted any follow-ups in a while, but the rain sensor didn't completely correct the light issues. They don't start flashing in the day time any more, but they still do it at night. I figure it has to be the sensor or the switch, but the dealer says they can't trouble shoot unless it does it on their watch. They wanted to keep the car over night and let one of their techs take it home with him for the evening. I told them I didn't really have a problem with that, but if the lights started flickering on his way home (I assume that he can't trouble-shoot and drive at the same time) then are okay sitting in the garage the following morning, what's he going to do? The response was a bit of a blank stare.

Another oddity is that the HIDs occasionally get REALLY bright (0.5 second) then drop back to normal intensity. Both seem to do it at once. Sometimes once and it's over, other times will continue to 'brighten up' erratically for several minutes before settling down.

On a good day I really love this car, but I frequently find myself missing my old Chrysler 300.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Default Light Sensor

While having other work done on my car I had the Jaguar dealer check my lights....they could not replicate the problem but they did say that normally it is the light switch itself and not the sensor. They said replacing would be $330 butthey did not want to do it until they replicated the problem.