XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Industries Remanufactured Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Default Arnott Industries Remanufactured Air Shocks

Forgive the intrusion here guys, but on another forum I belong to, a member inquired at Arnott Industries about what exactly is done to a completely rebuilt air shock. The answer from Arnott will shock you:

"Arnott OEM rear shock rebuilds - Warning to purchasers

This information was discussed in recent postings about OEM shocks but since the title didn't mention Arnott or their products, I think it's worthwhile to post separately. I was interested in Arnott's rebuilt rear OEM air ride shocks but the description in their catalog made my very curious due to what was not mentioned - anything about rebuilding the actual shock absorber. I called Arnott and got a sales person who really didn't know anything other than sales pitch stuff. After many question and getting nowhere, they took my tel number and said the engineer would call and he actualy did. Here's the facts - The OEM rear air shocks they state in their catalog and on their website are "COMPLETELY REBUILT OEM Air Ride shocks are actually well worn used shocks from other customer's cores with new air bags. They DO NOT rebuild the shock absorbers in any way and do not have the capability to do so. The engineer said "it is the luck of the draw" as to what you get as far as how used the shocks are - does anyone send in nearly new shocks as cores??? The OEM shocks they sell as completely rebuilt may have 50,000, 100,000 miles or more on them but do have new air bags. The engineer said they do a test when they get cores and do discard some of them but all they do is paint the exterior and replace the worn airbag with their new airbag. The worn out shock is what make the vehicle ride like crap, all the airbag does is keep the rear from sagging under load. Arnott also sells brand new Bilstein shocks for Escalades that do not work with the Electronic Ride Control but eliminate it instead and these probably ride very well. My feeling is it's pretty misleading to have everything in print say "Completely Rebuilt OEM shocks" and sell well worn used shocks as such. Make your own decisions."

Copied from original thread from that forum, **unedited**.

Maybe one of the members here can call Arnott Industries and see what they are are calling a "complete rebuild" entails. As I am not to familiar with the XJs air ride suspension.

Although I have purchased thier "completely rebuilt air shock" for another vehicle of ours (Cadillac), I am skeptical of the companies ad wording. Are you getting what you paid for(?), in our case $400.00.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

Interesting, thanks for sharing!