XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Arnott Issue

Well, as usual there's another issue to deal with. I have a rebuilt rear Arnott that started to leak out of the blue. Leaking out the to center, no leaks at the line. The leak is pretty bad can be heard.
The strut is less than 3 years old which surprises me and of course frustrates me. My question: Is it worth wild trying to tighten the large nut at top center of the strut to see if this cures the leak or will this void the warranty? Just hoping it's somthing this simple to avoid a fiasco. Always something with this car, sigh. Attached is the nut I'm referring to. Also have a video if you guys are curious to hear the leak.

Last edited by BlackKat; 05-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

So I take it this is the nut where the connector goes....... hmmm I would be careful about tightening that one, you're going to have to judge for yourself how much tighter you could go. It's worth a try, although I personally have never seen this issue before.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 AM

I found an old posting from Brutal where I think he mentions this. Anyone have any experience with technique? Quote below:

Originally Posted by Brutal
I guess this is a discussion on the orings where the lines are connected to the special fittings??
I seldom have leakage there just a fyi, most leakage is from the center top mount plate(sometimes slowed or stopped by tightening the 17mm nut on the shock stem)and also from blown bags, forget it and replace and lastly from the lower bag mount,none of which i have seen a fix for but all ears(and eyes)

Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
I have a rebuilt rear Arnott that started to leak out of the blue. Leaking out the to center, no leaks at the line. The leak is pretty bad can be heard.The strut is less than 3 years old which surprises me and of course frustrates me.

Please call Arnott's Tech Support Department at 800-251-8993 (321-868-3016 outside North America). Tightening that center nut will most likely not help sincethe leak has developed over time due to a decaying seal or damaged isolator.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by arnottdoug
Please call Arnott's Tech Support Department at 800-251-8993 (321-868-3016 outside North America). Tightening that center nut will most likely not help sincethe leak has developed over time due to a decaying seal or damaged isolator.
Thanks ArnottDoug! I spoke with Ken and having a replacement made. I say made because he informed me that warehouse is currently out of stock but he went out of his way to request a new one to be rush made since its my daily driver. I should receive it next week!
You guys have the absolute best customer service. I will most definitely continue to buy from you!
Thanks!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes, I'm considering four new Arnott units for my (07) XJR, primarily because they seem to have such a good reputation
Shame that the CATS system is disabled with Arnott's (new) struts, but they do now offer a "sports" option
I have been unable to find B4 "sport" bilsteins. To me, the XJR is sort of a sloppy handler anyhow, and going with the "comfort" units may just amplify this. I live in the Blue Ridge, and drive a lot of twisty roads
Love to hear from anyone who has tried the new (non CATS; not rebuilt) Arnott air struts

Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 AM

Sorry for the delay in reply. I received the new arnott in a couple of days. So far so good. The ride feels the same and I'm not feeling as bad as I thought about being catless. I will buy a new one for the passenger rear when it goes. I have two rebuilt arnotts up front we'll see how long they last. Arnott has the absolute best customer service!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts

Great to hear such good reviews of Arnott's product's. Bought a set for the front of my 04, they do ride nice.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I purchased one rebuilt Arnott front shock for my 2004 XJR and it was fine for about 1 1/2 years, before it failed. Arnott offered a new replacement instead, so I did that and then also purchased another new front shock to match. I am quiet happy with the shocks and customer service
RyeJag