XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Audio Connectivity Module issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Connectivity Module issues...

I just self installed the ACM in my 2004 XJR. I have a few questions/problems. 1) It's not allowing me to switch between the CDC and the ACM, it just stays on the ACM all the time, aside from being able to get AM and FM. Essentially, I can't play the CD's in the changer now. 2) I noticed the volume in the stereo now with the Ipod connected is much lower, maybe as much as 1/2 as when the radio or a CD was playing.3) I connected the ipod two ways to be sure, both with the ipod connection itself and also through the RCA jacks. Same result, volume wise. Also, the funtionality through the RCA jacks is much better as you have the ipod interface instead of the ACM interface, which looks incredibly cumbersome. Am I missing something here??[sm=wtf.gif] Thanks in advance...

Adam

Old 03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Audio Connectivity Module issues...

I tried to call you yesterday. Went to voicemail.

Beside the rca jacks, there is a switch. Switch it to other setting then cycle the ignition. This will allow use of the cd changer. Unfortunately, an inherently bad design means to go back to iPod again, you have to flick the switch and cycle the ignition again.
You should have noticed no volume difference at all. I have installed probably a hundred of those things with no problems. Make sure the volume is up on the iPod. Also, due to the fact that you disconnected the battery power from audio unit, the acv volume may have reset. You could go to menu and settings on touchscreen and set the acv all the way down and see if it makes a difference.

Remember also, that running the iPod through the rca jack will not charge it. The iphone also will play through the ACM. Nice if you have it hooked up via bluetooth and plugged in to acm. It charges it and when a call comes in, audio fades out and your ring tone comes through speakers.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

if switching it doesnt change it.. there is a reset hole in the switch.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM

Ok, some resolution, and some more questions. The volume issue is now a non issue, seems to be normal. As far as the CD changer now working, that's also resolved. I am confused though on two issues...1) If I understand this correctly, in order to change between being able to listen to the CD changer in the trunk, and the ipod, I have to turn the car off for roughly 30 seconds, switch the bypass/active switch, restart the car and then it'll change to the other source for audio? If that's the case, wow, talk about ridiculously cumbersome...you can't be driving along and switch from the CD changer to the ipod? You're stuck with what was on when you started the car???? 2) If I understand this part correctly, when the ACM is active and the ipod is used as the source through the ipod connection, NONE of the information...artists, song title, etc. are displayed on the radio screen, it's ONLY displayed on the ipod screen, just the six discs representing 1-4 playlists, 5 is all tracks, and disc 6 is menu functions. If that's the case, thenyou have to stare @ your ipod to see any pertinent info on what's playing, to be able to find new songs, etc., and using the Jaguar interface, it's INCREDIBLY slow to navigate through thousands of songs. I connected the ipod through the RCA jacks...same sound quality it seems, but you use the Apple ipod interface which is so much quicker. I understand the RCA connection won't charge the ipod, but as far as being able to find songs, and navigate though the ipod, it's so much quicker and I have to believe ultimately much safer since you have tolook @ the ipod screen to see where you are music wise and what's playing...The whole thing, actually, seems kinds ridiculous as far as "seamless" is concerned...am I missing something?

Adam

Old 03-23-2008, 04:54 PM

You summed it up there.
It is a hybrid design, an afterthought if you will, but still far better than anything FM modulated.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:57 PM

a big after thought..lol sumed it up nicely .

Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM

Is there ANY way to be able to use the Ipod interface on the ipod unit itself, while connected to theACM via the ipod connector? Also, my XJR is pre wired for voice activation, if I wanted to add bluetooth to the party...what's involved? Seems like the ACM is made by Denison. While I have you, one more question...thoughts on connecting a sirius or XM through the available RCA jacks that came with the ACM ?

Adam

Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM

you can use ipod thru rca cables which works better cause you can take full control of what music you will be listening to. if you have a phone with voice already installed.. then it's just a bluetooth module.. if you have nothing and you want to go with phone and bluetooth .. can be pricey$1500.00 and if you want voice then the voice module is another 1500.00 just in parts on top of the phone module..
and xm will sound ok thru rca cables..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:09 PM

That is one way, the other is to get the Siruis kit designed for your car. Installs where the ashtray goes.