XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

auto lamps not working with wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts
Default auto lamps not working with wipers

Have my headlamps set to auto, 10 sec delay. I put the wipers on intermittent this afternoon, and after several minutes the headlights had still not come on. I had to put them on manually.

The owner's manual is very clear that in auto mode, after 20 seconds of wiper operation, the headlights should come on.

Is this a setting that can be changed or do I need to send it back to the dealer for more repairs? Dealer just replaced the wiper motor under warranty because of the faulty intermittent operation.

Thanks,
-Michael

Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Michael,

I'm always cautious about making generalisations with different market specification Jaguars. This is from the UK X350 Driver's Handbook:

auto lamps not working with wipers-wipers-1.jpg

I've highlighted the section about wipers coming on with the headlights in red. It states this function happens in Auto, Slow or Fast wiper modes.

auto lamps not working with wipers-wipers-2.jpg

This will apply in Position Auto on the rotary collar or with the switch in Positions C (Slow Speed) or D (High Speed). It does not function in Position B (Intermittent).

If the US spec is the same as the UK then your Wipers / Auto Headlights are working correctly.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
mhamilton (02-14-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2004 XJR, when the auto wipers are selected my lights DON'T come on either when they should, I haven tried to find out why but with no luck. Would love for someone to come up with a solution.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Mr M, are you a member of he Carolina Jaguar Club or did you know that some of us Jag owners meet on the 1st Saturday of the month in Cary at the Car Cars and Coffee meet. Would love to see you there.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

My lights don't come on automatically when the windshield wipers are on. Just the other day I had manually turn my lights on. Does it matter how light it is outside? This was during the day.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 PM

It should not make any difference as lights should come on if wipers activate in any light. Here in NC it's the law to have your lights on if your wipers are on. My wife's XK's lights and wipers work fine on auto. I think there may be a dealer setting that only they can turn on through there computer system.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Page
It should not make any difference as lights should come on if wipers activate in any light. Here in NC it's the law to have your lights on if your wipers are on. My wife's XK's lights and wipers work fine on auto. I think there may be a dealer setting that only they can turn on through there computer system.
Rob,

None of my XJR's have had the lights come on just because the auto wipers engage. NJ has the same law, and I've always had to manually turn the lights on when it's raining but still light out. Are you saying that your lights don't come on when its dark out? Or simply that the wipers dont automatically turn on the lights on as well.

As far as I know, the two systems are completely independent of each other.

Take care,

George

Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Hi George, no my lights work fine, but in the hand book it does say that if in auto setting if the wipers come on the lights can come on too. As I said that's what my wife's XK does. I am wondering if this is a setting in the JAG jtis if that is the lap top programmer they use at the dealers. Good to hear from you mate.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Michael,

I'm always cautious about making generalisations with different market specification Jaguars. This is from the UK X350 Driver's Handbook:

I've highlighted the section about wipers coming on with the headlights in red. It states this function happens in Auto, Slow or Fast wiper modes.

This will apply in Position Auto on the rotary collar or with the switch in Positions C (Slow Speed) or D (High Speed). It does not function in Position B (Intermittent).

If the US spec is the same as the UK then your Wipers / Auto Headlights are working correctly.

Graham
Graham, thank you, you're quite right--my manual has the exact same wording. So your headlights only come on with the wipers when they're in auto, slow or fast, not manual intermittent? If so, then mine are probably working as designed. Very strange to me that intermittent would not activate the lights.

Originally Posted by Robert Page
Mr M, are you a member of he Carolina Jaguar Club or did you know that some of us Jag owners meet on the 1st Saturday of the month in Cary at the Car Cars and Coffee meet. Would love to see you there.

My 2004 XJR, when the auto wipers are selected my lights DON'T come on either when they should, I haven tried to find out why but with no luck. Would love for someone to come up with a solution.
Rob, I had no idea there was a Jag meetup, would love to come some time, I'll PM you.

I'm wondering if it is just a setting the dealer can configure. I vaguely remember reading a list of items that are programmable (but not to the user), like mirrors tilt in reverse, horn chirp on lock, etc.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Graham, thank you, you're quite right--my manual has the exact same wording. So your headlights only come on with the wipers when they're in auto, slow or fast, not manual intermittent?.............
Michael,

Yes. That's how the Wipers + Headlamps worked on my X308, my last XK8 and current XK8. Jaguar tend to copy design features like this across the model ranges and I therefore expected the X350 to be the same.

Robert and George posted about lights being required in NC and NJ when it's raining. It's exactly the same here in Europe.

Graham

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Just back from a booze + petrol run to Carrefour and I can confirm Auto > Wipers > Headlights - but only when the wipers are nearly continuous. An occasional swipe doesn't turn them on and rain + bright sunlight doesn't turn them off.
Only wound up to 180 kph on the back road straight because of wet roads.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

So, theoretically, if I take my wipers out of auto and set them to one of the continuous modes, my headlights should come on automatically? If my headlights are not in Auto Mode, should they still come on?

Now that I think about it, I am not sure what the conditions were on the day that I noticed my headlights didn't come on. It could've been a mist and the wipers were only operating in an intermittent mode.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by esloser
So, theoretically, if I take my wipers out of auto and set them to one of the continuous modes, my headlights should come on automatically? If my headlights are not in Auto Mode, should they still come on?
From my reading of the manual, the headlights must be in Auto mode for them to respond to the wipers. If the lights are not set to auto, they're either in "off" or "on" mode.

Also looked at my Cadillac manual, they were the same way. If Twilight Sentinel (automatic light) was not activated, the wipers would not turn on the lights. But the cad would switch lights no matter what your wiper setting was, auto, intermittent, etc.

Last edited by mhamilton; 02-14-2013 at 01:30 PM.