XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Auto Locking problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021 | 04:33 AM
|
Default Auto Locking problem

Hello all its been a while hope you are all keeping well.
My X350 XJ-6 is still going strong and turning heads. The only frustrating problem I dont seem to be able to resolve is the automatic door locking problem.
In my 2016 BMW 5 series like most new cars the doors lock down automatically after few meters driving. That is a rather necessary option that would make drivers safe as not to be attached by outsiders. With BMW however, (and all other cars) after a drive and once you reach your destination one would switch off the car and exit the vehicle by using the inside door handle by pulling it twice. With my jaguar this does not happen. When stationed you either should unlock the door by pushing the door lock button on the console or use the remote control. My door handle was broken twice by valet parking employees who are not familiar with this problem. My question is: isn't there a way to alter this option and to be able to unlock the door by using the door handle twice?
I have tried locking options on the screen but couldn't resolve the problem. Someone did tell me that jaguar dealers can do that . any tricks available to resolve this problem
Regards

Old 06-03-2021 | 09:06 AM

I know that my '07 XJ8 unlocks all four doors when I pull the inside handle, no unlock button necessary. It's possible that the behavior is a dealer setting, something in SDD. I can also manually move the lock lever that's just above the door handle (and pivots with it when you pull the handle) and that will unlock all four doors. I really don't know if the passenger or rear doors unlock with the handle being pulled, I haven't had occasion to try that.

Last edited by wfooshee; 06-03-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2021 | 06:17 PM

It's irrelevant what other cars do. The question is whether your Jag is faulty.
I use the remote control. Pulling door handles twice is for Darkest Africa and other emergencies.
I'm not sure why you mentioned about lock down after a few meters driving, when your actual complaint appears to be about something else.

My Honda has the indicator stalk on the right side...oh never mind.

Old 06-03-2021 | 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

You should be able to unlock doors by pulling the driver's door handle once.

If you have had it repaired twice I suspect that there may be a problem with the cable between the handle and the lock.

What happens when you pull the passenger door interior handle?

Old 06-04-2021 | 01:17 PM

When you use the door open button on the dash do the catches on the handles move as they should, they should move to the open position. If they do then the cables are ok. I suspect you may have a fauty door lock. the locks on these cars have switches in them and they can fail. I have had to do the passenger lock as it was intermittantly not opening. My drivers side was doing it recently but after a battery recharge and curing a leak that was dripping onto the amp it has been ok. The amp wasnt so lucky though.
Do you have any other electrical weirdness? You could have a battery on its last legs, these cars are very fussy about voltages.

Old 06-05-2021 | 05:37 PM

Drive-away door locking
With the ignition key at position II and all the doors closed, all doors will lock when the gear selector is moved from position P (Park) or N (Neutral). The gear selector has to be moved from P or N, and into a different gear, for longer than one second. If the vehicle is stopped and a door is opened and subsequently closed, the doors will lock again when the gear selector is moved from position P or N, and into a different gear. If the vehicle is stopped and a door is opened and subsequently closed, but the gear selector is not moved from position P or N, or the current gear position, the doors will remain unlocked. All vehicles have the drive-away door locking feature installed during manufacture, except Japan. This feature can be disabled, or reinstated, by a Jaguar Dealer/Authorised Repairer, if required.
-from the Owner's Handbook