XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Automatic parking brake set can be coded out

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 01:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Automatic parking brake set can be coded out

A couple of months back my parking brake would not release, and I got the parking brake fault on the message display. 2004 XJ8. I finally got it to release after multiple tries (otherwise I would have been walking home from the post office). Ever since then, I've put the parking brake in service mode when I removed the key to keep it from setting. Earlier this week, I had the car in the shop at my local indy Jag repair shop to get the oil pan gasket and oil filter housing gasket replaced. Fuel filter replaced. And diff fluid changed. I told the owner of the shop about the parking brake and asked him to not let the parking brake set because it might stick. When I went to pick up the car, he hooked up his computer to the OBDII port and went to the parking brake settings and disabled the auto set function when you remove the key. Now I don't have to worry about forgetting to put it in service mode everytime I turn the car off. Eventually, I'll get the parking brake motor replaced.

So, if you're having this same problem, the auto set function of the parking brake can be disabled. I didn't know that.

The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:48 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
A couple of months back my parking brake would not release, and I got the parking brake fault on the message display. 2004 XJ8. I finally got it to release after multiple tries (otherwise I would have been walking home from the post office). Ever since then, I've put the parking brake in service mode when I removed the key to keep it from setting. Earlier this week, I had the car in the shop at my local indy Jag repair shop to get the oil pan gasket and oil filter housing gasket replaced. Fuel filter replaced. And diff fluid changed. I told the owner of the shop about the parking brake and asked him to not let the parking brake set because it might stick. When I went to pick up the car, he hooked up his computer to the OBDII port and went to the parking brake settings and disabled the auto set function when you remove the key. Now I don't have to worry about forgetting to put it in service mode everytime I turn the car off. Eventually, I'll get the parking brake motor replaced.

So, if you're having this same problem, the auto set function of the parking brake can be disabled. I didn't know that.
Fair is fair, I had no klew it even HAD an auto-set capability. Separate, human-decision, hand movements, here - same as the Rover. I'm good wit' dat. "Bad hair day" cometh it makes it easier to run either one of the uppity b***h into the swamp.

Two motors, one at each rear disk on the X350. And you'll be wanting a "penta" socket as well.. unless memory fails?

Last edited by Thermite; 04-25-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermite
Two motors, one at each rear disk on the X350. And you'll be wanting a "penta" socket as well.. unless memory fails?
One motor, centrally mounted over the differential, with cables going to both rear discs.

The following users liked this post:
rsa760041 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:12 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
One motor, centrally mounted over the differential, with cables going to both rear discs.
My Rover is like that. I'll have to look again.. been many years since I did the XJ's brakes.

BTW.. "Programming"?

My XJ had, IIRC, FIVE prior owners by the time I acquired it. First three were titled to leasing companies. That seems to have at least assured bog-standard, 'by the book' maintenance. The brand-new engine under warranty I consider an accidental blessing, as it has far fewer miles on it than the chassis

But not many here have held their Jaguars as sole owner, showroom new to present day.

So no tellng what programming changes may have been made, "unmade", made again, to options of this sort, and similar, in their prior lives.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’d like to have my E brake switched to manual mode like this. My brake while usually functional got stuck on a couple times recently and the second time it happened I was out in the rain hotwiring it. After that experience I left the gray plug disconnected for now which seems to also disable my cruise control. Manual mode would be great so it’s there if I need it but I really don’t need it for parking.