XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

back passenger side window fault any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:55 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts
Default back passenger side window fault any ideas

Hi all been a while since I posted nothing been wrong with my car till last weekend
When I try to lower or raise my back passenger side window from the drivers seat switch it does not work
The window goes up and down from its own switch and if its down I can bring it up from the drivers switch just cant lower it from drivers switch anyone had a similar problem and know what the fix might be

Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Doc,

I have exactly the same problem. After reading your post I went to test out the window buttons on the drivers door and, guess what the rear passenger window only goes up regardless if I press/pull the switch.

I have had the car for two months and haven't had the need to lower the rear windows.

I hope someone has a quick fix for this.

cheers,

Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 AM
doc

Gotta love jaguars they always have to have a sympathy partner when something is wrong brothers or sisters no matter where in the world they are LOL

Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 AM

I wonder if this is happens often. No one else on this forum experience this?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 13,086 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Hi doc & FabCat,

Your symptoms are intriguing. The Electrical Guide may help you isolate the point of the problem. You can download the 2004 and 2005 guides at the links below:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

The schematic for the Powered Windows/Sunroof appears in Figure 14.1, which is on page 137 of the 2004 pdf and page 135 of the 2005 pdf.

I just took a brief look a the schematics, and, I'm sorry to think out loud, but here are a few observations:

There is a Rear Window Isolate function that disables the rear window switches to prevent rear passengers (children) from operating the windows. The normally-closed control switch is in the Driver Door Switch Pack (DDSP) and there is an LED lamp to indicate when this function has been activated by opening the switch. The hard wiring for the Isolate function appears to interrupt a ground connection to the Driver Door Module. The DDM then connects power to the LED, and also communicates the Isolate status to the Rear Electronic Module (REM) via the Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) network. So apparently when Isolate is selected, the REM interrupts the ground path for the rear window switches so they cannot be operated via the rear door switches.

Having said all that, I cannot see how the Isolate function might cause your symptoms, which are basically the opposite of Isolate. You can operate the rear right window from its own switch, but the Driver switch can only operate it in the up direction. It wouldn't hurt to manipulate the Isolate switch on and off to see if that helps, but the schematics don't suggest that it will.

OK. Moving on.

The door window motor control modules have 12V battery power available at all times.

In order to operate the window, the door switches ground one of two wires, one to complete the up circuit, and the other to complete the down circuit.

The ground path for the rear door switches is via the REM and then on to a nearby ground stud in the trunk/boot.

The ground path for the Driver Door Switch Pack is a ground stud on the upper LH A-pillar.

This suggests that the ground path through the driver switch for the RR window down motion is not connecting properly. If I understand the schematic, to move the window down, the Driver switch grounds the Yellow wire with a Black tracer line. This wire attaches to the Driver switch on terminal 13 of a 20-terminal connector. So one possibility is looseness of or corrosion on the connector terminals for the Yellow/Black wire.

Another possibility is an internal malfunction of the DDSP, which may not be properly connecting the Y/B wire to ground.

Other possibilities include looseness of or corrosion on the YB wire's terminal at the RR window motor assembly, which is terminal 4 of an 8-way gray connector; or a problem with the splice point where the YB wire branches to the RR door switch and the DDSP (the location of the splice is not given in the schematic, but it must be in the door since the splice is between the window motor module and the door switch).

As far as I can tell, those are the possible trouble spots, but hopefully one of our electrical experts will come along and correct me or suggest some other possibilities.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-25-2015 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
FabCat (09-26-2015), Mark in Maine (09-25-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 AM

HI Don,

Cheers for this. I will attempt to check the connection points for looseness or corrosion.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Left Rear Window Issues

I have had similar issues with the left (drivers) rear window.
Now response from the drivers switch pack, or the rear door window switch.
The only way to put the window down is to use the key fob Global Function. Once down the associated switches will only raise the window. If one releases the switch and attempts to lower the window, nothing happens. Only the "up" function of the switch will work.
Because the window will function with the fob, I have assumed the problem is not a ground issue. Likewise, I have ruled out a component failure. With the possible exception of the drivers door control module.
I have used the WDS with no results thus far.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Received 13,086 Likes on 6,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrd623
Because the window will function with the fob, I have assumed the problem is not a ground issue. Likewise, I have ruled out a component failure. With the possible exception of the drivers door control module.

Hi Rrd623,

You don't mention the year and model of your car (it's a good idea to add that info to your signature line so others don't have to ask). You can download the X350 XJ Electrical Guide for your car at JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource, couresty of our friend Gus.

As I explained earlier, there are at least two ground paths involved. I didn't trace the circuit for the Global Function, but it is possible if not likely that it uses yet another ground path.

Have a look at the schematics to see what I mean, and let us know what conclusions you are able to draw.

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 AM
doc

Thanks guys
The car is in storage at the moment to many cars at my place in the process of renting a shed then get all my toys over there
going to splash out on a hoist as well getting to old to crawl around on the floor LOL

Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doc
The window goes up and down from its own switch and if its down I can bring it up from the drivers switch just cant lower it from drivers switch anyone had a similar problem and know what the fix might be
Doc,
I had an almost similar issue with my front passenger window, but my issue was mechanical. The "switch hinge", so to say, was broken internally and wouldn't allow the switch to pivot properly. It would allow notchy movement of the window upwards, but no response downwards.
That switch definitely felt loose compared to the other 3.