XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Backup camera-Rear/Front view

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by MEC
EsRay, very ambitious changing out the lamps to LED PLUS installing the backup camera mirror.
I'd put the original lamps back for one reason, the Jags electrics are great, but not designed for LEDs in those sockets. You can try switching different brands in, but at the very least you will need in-line resistors and you should also change out the front.
Either way, I'd make sure the camera is completely working for a couple of weeks before attempting the LED changeout.
I did do the headlight upgrade, but did not touch running, parking, brake or turn signal lamps. That would be a bugger!
Thank you for posting again MEC.
I assumed that while I was in that bulb-holder, I might as well replace the incandescent bulb with a brighter, more economical and longer lasting LED?
Of course, I failed to mention this to the people who have been trying to help me because (perhaps) I am a self-defeating masochist who doesn't realise they are one?
I shall do as you suggest!

Old 04-07-2024, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Bill, Thank you, I probably bought cheap Chinese LED's that are causing a problem; as is (perhaps) evidenced by the fact that even with my reversing camera relay completely disconnected, I still have a problem with my LED reversing lights both staying on (somewhat dimmer) with no ignition circuit? Both going out if I replace the R/H bulb with incandescent, but with L/H bright and R/H dim when reverse selected?
I am going to go back to square one, refit incandescents and then try out my reversing relay switch, as has been suggested.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:55 PM
Received 278 Likes on 214 Posts

Speaking of LED or 12v-rated car LED lights.
There are 2 types, ones with just a limiting resistor and ones with a "buck converter". The "buck converter" ones have a much wider voltage range perhaps 9~20 volts (which is how you can tell). In my experience, the latter type are likely to be more reliable.

Anyway, I've bought plenty of "car LED's" from China. And many of them go out or flicker after a few hours never mind the 50,000 or so claimed. Not much with the "buck converter" ones.

The problem is, not so much the different technology, but that the reason they are cheap at this or that site, is likely because the Banggoods of this world buy and resell bulk lots of Rejects?

After many years as a customer of Banggood, I have since changed to Aliexpress, still the same risk but many different actual suppliers similar to Ebay. And Aliexpress is excellent at guaranteeing purchases, bar none. Apart from the hassle of testing, I can buy 3 or more for the price of one here?

P.S. one difference with Aliexpress, is that they keep you informed of time left for the supplier to respond to your complaint, after which they will automatically apply a refund if no response.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 04-07-2024 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EsRay (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:51 PM
Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by EsRay
because (perhaps) I am a self-defeating masochist who doesn't realise they are one?
Not you mate. The Electrician on one of the Liberty's an Uncle was Engineer 2d on who ran an aluminium ladder down into a compartment with an exposed bus bar, OTOH? Hatch coaming to bus-bar short altered the ladder's configuration rapidly, and rather explosively so, but the 'masochist' actually survived with minor injuries.

So at least this experimentating bizness ain't "suicidal'? Not at 12 to 15 Volts, anyway.

Learn and live...

The following users liked this post:
EsRay (04-07-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 06:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MEC
Here's a picture of the camera mounting. Wire is run through a small hole I drilled in one of the license plate lamp lenses (it does not affect the lamp seal).

Wire is far left in picture and run behind license plate holder.
Damn, that thing sticks out way too much for my taste.

I would probably go after one of these:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832660454104.html

(Not my car, I hate the red bezel too!)

Cheers

Old 04-10-2024, 02:25 AM

Damn, that thing sticks out way too much for my taste.
Might look at the OEM one on the Range Rover Sport, then. Ours hide in the spoiler above the upper hatch - which is rather slim space. Better cameras can be had, though.

Later model Nissans' have been mentioned as having good view, older ones, not so much.

Here's another way to make it less obvious:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-b6fXw7...TJ-Chrome.html

As I have no screen on the X350, though, a 'package' similar to this one that also adds a few more functions, is more attractive:

Amazon Amazon

There are more of those in the market.

The "starvis" feature - or equivalent - is in all but one of my home security cameras and is much nicer than expected in marginal lighting. I no longer buy any other kind for the residence - indoors or outdoors.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:36 AM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since you haven't imstalled one, maybe you should reserve your unnecessary comments for AFTER you actually do something with a backup camera.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MEC
Since you haven't imstalled one, maybe you should reserve your unnecessary comments for AFTER you actually do something with a backup camera.
Well. 'cameras' are just one more gadget.

Starting on 1950's motorcars, I found no need to pull moldings, carpet, or upholstery to add "gadgets".

Drop a grommet into a hole leading to the underside of the vehicle. Pull the wire(s) through a run of off the-roll braid-in fuel or hydraulic hose to another stock grommet in a hole wherever needed.

Fast, cheap, direct, easily serviced, and that hose and a few fasteners will survive water, road salt, and gravel impact for a very, very long time. Just as fast to remove without delving into trim and upholstery.

Cuts time and labour dramatically, both ways, even if the last foot or three needs more tedious internal routing.

Might want to try that next time? Most especially on an older vehicle you might not expect to retain 'forever'.

Last edited by Thermite; 04-10-2024 at 07:02 AM.