XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

bad ballast will kill turn signal too?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts
Default bad ballast will kill turn signal too?

just heard from the shop...way to cold outside for me to wrench
My passenger headlight and turn signal stopped working recently (after a ZF shop serviced the tranny and replaced the cooler lines - they checked and said it was nothing they got loose, hmmm).

Anyway, took it to a respected high end shop and the found a blown fuse, replaced, still not working; they think it might be the ballast.

My thought is though - if the ballast went, why would the turn signal also? Or does the wiring for both run via the ballast?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM

oops, I was a bad customer...I didn't read all the detail printed in their notes. After replacing the fuse, the turn signal did indeed come back...just not the headlight. They replaced the bulb and still no

They are saying that a separate ballast is not listed, just the whole $1,500+ headlight assembly - looks like the ballast is though? I found a few threads here and looks like somewhere around 04-05 the factory switched from LAD5G to LAD5GL ballasts.
Threads were on different models - the ballasts are replaceable on our cars?

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

A few years ago there were quite a few post on this subject, and I understand there was a "modification" possible to allow the later ballast to be fitted. This modification was an owner-developed mod, nothing to do with the factory.

Why not try to search this forum ?

Old 02-13-2016, 02:27 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

These ballasts go bad all the time. I've changed many. In my line of work I just find it easier and actually more durable to just change to after market ballasts that way you can service them without having to remove the headlight.

Check for a good ground and make sure you get the right voltage when you turn on low beam. Parking light will have a separate power source and so does the high beam. In some cases I also see the main connector not click in all the way into headlight housing. Check that first.

If you decide to go afternarket get a d1S hid kit and pick the color temperature you like. Installation is pretty easy and you don't have to remove headlights

The following users liked this post:
rosskuhns (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM

Fraser,

I did do a good bit of searching, however,
I think this is the thread you are thinking of:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lad5gl-89738/

shows how to convert an older 12 pin to a 4 pin connector.

From that thread it reads that Jaguar converted to the newer 4 pin somewhere in 2005, and the factory manual has the cut off wrong. So you never know what you'll get until you look in an '05 like mine.

Basically there is an audi adapter that converts the 12 pin to 4 pin, so you can use the newer, cheaper, more available 4 pin adapters.
Best price I found was here:
https://www.europaparts.com/adapter-...8e0971671.html $24 plus shipping.

here's a 4 pin ballast for $85 shipped from LA
Amazon.com: XA HID XENON Head Lamp Light Ballast Controller LAD5GL 89030471 Audi DOT: Automotive Amazon.com: XA HID XENON Head Lamp Light Ballast Controller LAD5GL 89030471 Audi DOT: Automotive

the older 12 pins do seem to go for $240 each, for something that doesn't look like a chinese copy.

--------------------
from another thread, by Dave in Gloucestershir

Check issues in this order:

1. Earth/grounds
2. Burners (bulbs)
3. Ballasts
------------

It's in the single digits here with snow on the ground and I have no garage to work in...also a baby and 3 year old...so time is a bit limited

Old 02-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

"It's in the single digits here with snow on the ground and I have no garage to work in...also a baby and 3 year old...so time is a bit limited"

I sympathise !! It doesn't get any easier once they've left home as by then you're too old to go crawling around cars in the freezing cold !!