XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bad Mongoose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
I have worked in IT for 30 years so no confusion here.

I have a PC with a number of virtual PC's running under Oracle Virtual Box with versions of SDD from 129 to 138 and can happily switch backwards and forwards without having to update anything on my Mongoose.

I am aware that is not the case with the VCM but that is a different device so I am not sure why you have to, maybe the Chinese clones are different?

I have no idea, since I only have a Chinese knock-off... nothing to compare it to. I can only state that which I personally experienced.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

And you definitely have one of these and not a red VCM?

Attached Thumbnails Bad Mongoose?-mongoose.jpg  
Old 11-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
Woosh, this is becoming exceedingly complicated now for something apparently so simple.

Looks like I have a few things to check out.

All this for a $40 rip off tool.... urghhh.
And once you get it going, bad things can happen. I had a clone and could read VIN and other diagnostics. I went and updated some dealer settings on the security, and it failed to update the ECM VID block and bricked it. I eventually bought an original Drew cable and was able to complete the process. There are two communication channels to the car and it maybe that the Serial ecm bus is not supported by some clones.
Just my experience as a caution, maybe my clone supplier was more dodgy than others.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
I do not have a copy of v125. I know I had to go through this issue myself initially, when going backwards from v139, to v138 and lastly ending in v135, and speak from experience from my own frustrations. I do know there are numerous issues that can manifest themselves when using this type of hardware/software with no real licensing and still try to be able to work on your vehicle your own self....

If you load v139 and the Mongoose operates correctly, and you wish to go backwards, you need to start from scratch, install the OS, install SDD, run the patch, install Mongoose drivers to enable the PC to talk via USB, Use VCM Recovery tool to flash the firmware and PROM, restart the box, let VCI Manager see the Mongoose, and then launch SDD. The VCM icon at the top should be green, and if not, it's not talking. If green, you may have to use "Read" on vehicles prior to 2005 or earlier to obtain the VIN.
I removed JLR_IDS v125, set the date back to 11/30/2011 and installed all the JLR_SDD v130 files. I also removed and reinstalled the MongoosePro drivers. I ran SDD and entered the username and password that were listed in the offline authentication pdf, (JLR9A8172 and L538X760) and it said "Details for user identification JLR9A8172 have been successfully authenticated, press continue to begin session". the XP OS recognizes the MongoosePro and so does JLR_SDD; the interface icon is green and it knows it is a MongoosePro, the message at the bottom says "The Mongoose Pro JLR is connected", and the mongoose flashes green at one flash per second.

When I took it out to the SV8 and connected the mongoose to the OBDII and ran SDD, the interface icon was still green, the battery icon was yellow, but the upper right icon was red and still said "activation required" when I ran the cursor over it. It could not "READ" the VIN but took the entry manually and then asked for an "ignition on" test but returned a "Data Collection Error" with the ignition turned on to position II after clicking continue.

OK, So...I am one step further along, but still not communicating with the car except for the apparent reading of the battery voltage via the OBDII. Could the yellow battery icon be holding it back? Or is it the red X "activation required" icon? If it is the latter, is there some other entry needed to activate it off line?

I had just about figured out the menus for v125 but v130 is quite different, although I did find a screen for the interface and was able to capture the MongoosePro info in the picture below. I don't see a VCM recovery tool, but do see a MongooseProUpdater executable file and did a screen capture of its location. I haven't tried it because it seems that SDD is communicating with the Mongoose now, just not with the OBDII.

I am open to any suggestions. I'll try again tomorrow with a battery maintainer hooked up, but for some reason after several successfull VIN entries it is now telling me my VIN is invalid and I know I entered it correctly.

BTW, the pictures were captured inside away from the car so the battery icon is red in them. Oh, And what did you mean when you said "run the patch"? Would that be something within JLR_SDD 130?

Attached Thumbnails Bad Mongoose?-interface-status-mongoose-connected.jpg   Bad Mongoose?-mongoosepro-info.jpg   Bad Mongoose?-mongooseproupdater.jpg  
Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Not sure if this may be contributing but check fuse #43 in passenger footwell

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...iences-148784/

Old 12-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

a) unless you have done a complete reinstall of the OS, find the IDS removal tool on
the Ford site and run it to remove all traces of the first install. then consistently install
and run with an old date set in the clock.

b) you will never be able to get auto vin read for a X308. just won't happen.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
a) unless you have done a complete reinstall of the OS, find the IDS removal tool on
the Ford site and run it to remove all traces of the first install. then consistently install

Its for an X350 Plums.

The VCM recovery tool is in the start menu/all programs/JLR/IDS/Sub folder. See attached photo.

Bad Mongoose?-file_000.jpeg

philwarner (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hafren
Not sure if this may be contributing but check fuse #43 in passenger footwell

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...iences-148784/
Originally Posted by plums

I haven't checked that fuse, but I do have battery voltage at the OBDII plug, as read by my UltraGage, and did have a yellow battery icon at the top of the SDD screen when the mongoose was connected to it.

Would I do a search for Ford IDS removal tool to find the right download site?

I used XP's add/remove programs to remove IDS v125 but had to delete the JLR folder from Program Files to remove the Additional Pinpoint Tests when it said it needed the IDS v125 to remove that program and I had already removed IDS 125 first; Got to remember to remove the additional pinpoint tests first in the future. I did set the date back to Nov 30, 2011 before installing SDD v130; it didn't fool XP Pro, though, which still said I had 21 days (more like 19 now) to activate it.

My car is an 06 X350 which I believe is in the v130 fully supported list; well, before it decided mine was an invalid VIN, that is.

I charged the SV8's battery yesterday, but haven't tried the SDD again yet. I've been busy repairing injector, headlight, and sensor wiring that a rat ate in our Dodge mini-van when it set up housekeeping in the under hood insulation. I had pulled a bunch of nesting material and half eaten nuts out of the lining and was removing the blanket itself when I came face to face with an 8 inch rat (that's body length not including the tail). It scuttled under the part of the blanket that was still up and I went and got a dip net and tried to catch it and almost did, but it wiggled out and ran under the van. They love to nest in the center of XK6 engines between the cam covers and eat spark plug wires too. I hate rats!

Last edited by philwarner; 12-02-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

For those interested.

I just received the new MongoosePro (clone) I ordered after my original Mongoose (non Pro) died on me. I asked the question if this version, which the seller calls 1.42, would work with the older SDD 1.31 version. I prefer to keep that version because it doesn't need patches or anything. Didn't get an answer but I thought it would.

The clone comes with 1 DVD with version 1.39 of the software (including Mongoose driver and stuff for Mazda and Ford). Also with 3 DVD's with the 1.42 version (including Mongoose driver and serial).

I deleted the old Mongoose driver from my VirtualBox with SDD V1.31.3 and installed the one from the 1.39 DVD and the SDD works fine again with the new MongoosePro.

The version I bought is also named Version SP205 by the seller.

philwarner (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Xag
For those interested.

I just received the new MongoosePro (clone) I ordered after my original Mongoose (non Pro) died on me. I asked the question if this version, which the seller calls 1.42, would work with the older SDD 1.31 version. I prefer to keep that version because it doesn't need patches or anything. Didn't get an answer but I thought it would.

The clone comes with 1 DVD with version 1.39 of the software (including Mongoose driver and stuff for Mazda and Ford). Also with 3 DVD's with the 1.42 version (including Mongoose driver and serial).

I deleted the old Mongoose driver from my VirtualBox with SDD V1.31.3 and installed the one from the 1.39 DVD and the SDD works fine again with the new MongoosePro.

The version I bought is also named Version SP205 by the seller.
So the new MongoosePro clone works with your version 1.31 software And you used the driver from the JLR 1.39 DVD (DVD named SDD_DVD139)?

Is your software activated (beacon icon in the upper right is green)? And if so how did you do it? My V130 said it had been successfully authenticated when I entered the user and password, but the little beacon icon is red and says "activation required" when I cursor over it. I am assuming that is why my Mongoose Pro does not communicate with the OBDII beyond showing a yellow battery icon.

Did you run anything from the Patch folder on the 139 DVD? I was just looking at the files in that folder on the DVD and got a virus warning from Avira just now.

Attached Thumbnails Bad Mongoose?-jlr-patch-virus-warning.jpg   Bad Mongoose?-jlr-patch-virus-warning-2.jpg   Bad Mongoose?-jlr-patch-files.jpg  

Last edited by philwarner; 12-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Xag

I bought my 1.31 on Ebay and it came with an userid and password. No patches required. The beacon is red and states it's activated but not confirmed. I don't remember for sure if it was the same on with the old Mangoose but I think it has always been red. It does work though. Mine came with the instruction that when I wanted to use the calibration files the computer date should be set to august 2012 before installing those.

I don't let the computer connect to internet while my VM with SDD is running (maybe that's the reason it isn't confirmed and I always set the date back to the original install date to avoid the software from deactivating certain functions. I didn't do that the first time I installed it and after a certain number of days certain functions in SDD stopped working.

This time I also didn't run any patches of the SDD_DVD139 either.

philwarner (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks, I had set my date earlier than that when I installed V130 so maybe I need to use Aug 2012. I used the M-Pro driver I downloaded so perhaps I need to remove it and try running the one from the DVD; seems like they were the same size files, but perhaps not exactly the same. My old Sony does not have an internal wireless so it can't connect to the net without a card and I've removed the card.

Sure would like to get the mongoose to communicate to read the chassis codes; I get an air suspension fault message 50 to 60% of the time and when I counted the codes that can cause it there were 35 different ones.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:45 AM
Xag

From the instructions I got the impression the date is only relevant for the calibration files, not the SDD software itself. However I noticed on previous installs of the SDD software that it uses the date to check how old it gets and disables functions. Always setting the date back to the original install date solves that.

I would stick to the V1.30 version with the MPro driver from the V1.39 DVD you've got.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

A convenient way not to have to set back the date is to block it within your windows OS.
I did that for my SDD dedicated PC (XP Pro SP2 fresh install, v 130 and calibration files bought separately on ebay, clone non-pro Mongoose) and never need to reset it.

Last edited by paydase; 12-13-2015 at 07:38 AM.