XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

bad tramlining from rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 282 Posts
Default bad tramlining from rear

My '06 suddenly developed a really bad tramlining from the rear. Last year I had replaced the lower bushings, sway links, tie rods and had it all aligned. Was great and drove like new. Now it suddenly started wandering on the road again, and if I go over a painted line or a pavement variation the back end grabs and jerks to that side. Does it when moving to the right or left which has be wondering what would cause that.

I plan to pull the rear wheels and check the upper control arms and ball joints. Tires have about half their tread left, although one is slightly more worn than the other. I don't think that would suddenly make such a noticeable difference.

Any suggestions on other things to check? On a quick look under the car there's nothing I see that looks bad with the lower control arms, and feel no play when pulling on the tire. No clunking from the rear either.

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by mhamilton; 01-05-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 PM
cjd
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Toe out is the most common reason for darting.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Could it be the air springs becoming worn (harder) and not giving damping effect on poor surfaces? or
Change in outside temp?

I have had tramlining on tyres that were half worn especially pirreli?

Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

They are Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires... and I've regretted them since I put them on this car. I suppose I can rotate to the front and see if the rear stops darting around.

I can't see any reason for the toe to have changed, it was aligned recently after the bushing work. But I will measure that as well.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Wanted to post an update on this:

In an effort to fix the back end wandering (following lines and cracks in the road) I replaced the rear upper control arms (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushing-157467/), which substantially reduced the tramlining but didn't eliminate it. Finding nothing else wrong with the suspension, I finally got rid of the PZero Neros.

I had issues on and off with these tires since I bought them, and with one tire at 0% tread and the others at 30%, plus some odd wear patterns, I decided to dump them and take whatever warranty I could get. After reading lots of reviews, asking on here, and talking with my tire dealer, I decided on the Pirelli P7s. The tire dealer said I would like them as they are newer and quieter than the PZero, and Mark in Maine had posted that he had excellent results with them (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-157362/).

I was skeptical about it fixing the issue, and skeptical that they would be quieter since noise is one complaint I never had about the PZero. But wow! What a difference!! It feels like a completely new car . Eerily quiet at all speeds, tracks like a brand new Jaguar, and the handling is still superb for my style of driving. Granted it's only been one weekend with these tires, but so far I'm extremely impressed.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

I've been running P7s since last summer. Much more comfortable than the old PZeroes. HOWEVER, I have noticed they tramline more than the PZeros, at least in my experience. Not enough to be bothersome, but I notice it. In my opinion, handling is better on the PZeroes, but the P7s are better for daily driving comfort.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Wanted to post an update on this:

In an effort to fix the back end wandering (following lines and cracks in the road) I replaced the rear upper control arms (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushing-157467/), which substantially reduced the tramlining but didn't eliminate it. Finding nothing else wrong with the suspension, I finally got rid of the PZero Neros.

I had issues on and off with these tires since I bought them, and with one tire at 0% tread and the others at 30%, plus some odd wear patterns, I decided to dump them and take whatever warranty I could get. After reading lots of reviews, asking on here, and talking with my tire dealer, I decided on the Pirelli P7s. The tire dealer said I would like them as they are newer and quieter than the PZero, and Mark in Maine had posted that he had excellent results with them (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-157362/).

I was skeptical about it fixing the issue, and skeptical that they would be quieter since noise is one complaint I never had about the PZero. But wow! What a difference!! It feels like a completely new car . Eerily quiet at all speeds, tracks like a brand new Jaguar, and the handling is still superb for my style of driving. Granted it's only been one weekend with these tires, but so far I'm extremely impressed.
I put a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde on my XJR. They are fine and Discount Tire has them at a reasonable price. If still available will go back on next time.