XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

which is the baddie (wheel speed sensors)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default which is the baddie (wheel speed sensors)

months ago i replaced a wheel speed sensor. then the fault re appeared. i took them both off to clean them, and lost track of which was the new one. the cleaning didnt help. i removed and tested both Wheel speed sensors with this ohms meter. I dont know what the correct level should be. I baught a new one off Ebay and when i tested it, it read the same as the second picture. Being that it was new in the box i figureed that must be the correct level. Well i installed those two and it seemed to fix it, for a few days. However, now the ABS DSC lights are back, Gearbox Fault (slamming itsself into 3rd gear and holding it) codes 1165 and 1175 have returned along with 'Trans Control out of range'..... is there another component in the system that could be causing this? Both sensors have been replaced.

Attached Thumbnails which is the baddie (wheel speed sensors)-img_1908.jpg   which is the baddie (wheel speed sensors)-img_1910.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 02:39 AM

also Today i had the year old Battery tested along with the alternator and both Passed with flying colors so i dont think its a low voltage problem.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

If you have a diagnostic computer that can run live data connected it up and take the car for a run and check your live data on wheel speeds this will tell you which one could be faulty and put you in the right direction

Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you get the resistance question sorted out?
I'm still working after a year on different solutions for my ABS / DSC failures. This last weekend I check the resistance at the ABS module connector for all four wheel speed sensors. After an hour of frustrating readings I found that the resistance readings have a forward and backwards reading, just like a diode. When I replaced the sensors I kept the old ones, and am going to compare the forward and back readings between the old and new sensors.

I attempted a repair to the contacts inside the module, when that didn't help I bought a module form a recycling yard in CA. Also didn't help.

The Mongoose cable and software I bought is showing a missing left front wheel sensor, but the testing from the module to the sensor shows cable and wiring continuity is OK.

Jim

Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM

My ABS / DSC is now working on the 2005 XJ8.

A recap:
When I bought the car the seller told me that the owner before him had replaced the ABS / DSC module. Very occasionally the ABS would work for a few minutes after starting out, then would show ABS failure and shortly thereafter DSC failure.

I checked the wheel speed sensor resistance. The results were really erratic as I did not realize the resistance needs to be checked in one polarity like a diode. Since my measurements were made incorrectly I replaced all four sensors. No improvement.

I opened the ABS module and soldered the push-through back plane pins on the circuit board. Condition got worse. I bought a used DSC module from a totaled 2005 XJ8. It had a different part number. No improvement.

I started checking the wiring harness, measuring resistance at the DSC module connector. This is when I realized the resistance was always 0 in the backwards direction. All wheel speed sensors measured about the same forward and zero backwards. I put a known resistance in the connector for each wheel speed sensor and measured the resistance at the module connector. The increase in resistance was about what you would expect for automotive harness and connector, no opens and no shorts.

I bought the China Mongoose cable and half way got the software working. It showed Yaw rate sensor and left front wheel speed sensor errors. Checked the wiring for the Yaw sensor. Looked OK. Replaced with used unit. This Yaw error was corrected.

In a post which I have not been able to find again someone said they had replaced the front hub which includes the tone ring and wheel speed sensor. I bought a Timken hub assembly from Rockauto for about the same as what I had paid for the replacement wheel speed sensor. It took about 45 minutes to install. The ABS / DSC is now working.

1. Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences. I just can't imagine how much easier life would have been over the years if these forums had been available.
2. A suggestion for anyone trouble shooting these cars: I completely agree that the diagnostic software is a NECESSITY not just a nice tool to have. In additon, this process has also reminded me that traditional trouble shooting is also required. The front wheel speed sensor error could have been a connector issue at the module, a wiring harness issue, dirty sensors as others have found, or, as I found, a problem with the tone ring. We still need to do traditional trouble shooting.

Thanks to everyone posting on this site for sharing.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (05-18-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 PM

Well mine started working again, The warning lights went away on their own. and low and behold with NO provocation this week the DSC ABS lights are back, the cars bouncing all over the place riding rough and the Speedometer wont work. Im really getting pissed because ive spent probably over $300 on these rear sensors and it keeps being an onagain off again on again problem. Its like an O Ring bringing down the Space Shuttle. this one component will stop numerous other systems from functioning.... IM going to change out the MAF sensor this week ( think i read somewhere it can cause codes like Gearbox fault and others that seem unrelated) its throwing its own code as well as Too Rich Too Lean and Knock Sensor codes. I suppose i will take s the snesors out and scrub them again and maybe it will make it work properly for a few days. Ill keep you updated if i discover anything

Old 05-20-2015, 11:25 AM

Bobby,
I spent months trouble shooting the ABS / DSC system on the 2005 XJ8. The errors were confined to the ABS / DSC system, and did not involve the transmission ( on my car ).
The most satisfying trouble shooting I did was to check all the sensor resistances at the ABS module. Checking that the resistance was 0 in one direction and basically the same for all four sensors with polarity reversed on the meter, then substituting a known resistance at the wheel speed sensor connector and again checking at the ABS module gave me a pretty good feeling that both the harness and sensors were OK.

I've got left over sensors (front and rear) and a spare ABS module. I don't know that my part numbers will work in your car, but if you want to borrow any parts for 'swap and check' trouble shooting let me know.
The DSC module I have is labeled 4W932C219 - BC
The rear WS sensors are Intermotor ALS524

They are just spare for me, so you are welcome to borrow them if it would help.

Jim

Last edited by prescottaz; 05-20-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post:
Catsgame (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Well i changed my Brakes last week and they were completely worn out. No Pad left at all on the front. and a few days after changing the brakes the ABS and DSC warning lights have went away and everything is back working like it should. This could be just a flook or something. But i am thinking maybe since there was so much travel in the braking system due to having no pads left and worn out rotors, perhaps the ABS system wasnt satisfied it could funtion properly and was cauusing all the warnings.... We shall see, ill keep updating

Old 05-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

catsgame, your proof positive that checking the BASICS first can save lot of time and wasted money. Often we assume it must be a complicated problem when it is simply the foundation brake system is worn out. I am sure you will enjoy many trouble free miles (and peace of mind).