XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bank 2 knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Bank 2 knock sensor

So after I have my brake change and proceed to test drove and breaking in the brake set I have the dreaded "restricted performance" code and using the ELM27 got a code for P0332 which goes for bank 2 knock sensor. Cleaned the connection and multiple hard reset and it still come back so the sensor is dead for sure.

Have one on order and should be here Friday or Saturday.

Question is I'm gathering list of parts for preparing supercharger removal and smaller pulley upgrade, "Maxbore" the throttle body, intercooler pump upgrade etc, engine valley coolant line replacement etc. (you know the drill, shoot a flocks of birds in one shot type), when the knock sensor arrive, I'm planning to just disconnect the connector from the bad sensor and hook up to the new sensor and just tied up the new sensor under the engine bay at somewhere safe for the time being without mounting it to where it suppose to be yet for the time being.

The question is "is it wise to do so?"

My reasoning for this is just for temporary like maybe a month(2 months top) until everything is gathered for the projects and I still need the car as daily driver.

The other side knock sensor still in place and if in case knocking is present the good sensor that is still bolted down will pick up the knocking and automatically retard the timing and calm things down. I'm losing the insurance against knocking in one side only but what are the chance? chance are if knocking present it'll be show up both side equally and the good side will pick up the knock and put everything back in check.

PS: I'm still kinda pissed about the local dealership that won't honor the price on the website listed eventhough I just talked to the same guy face to face before I call in for the order thru the website. Then when I call the number and found out it is the same place that have the website and he told me for the listed price on the website I have to place the order online thru that site and wait about 30 minutes and then once everything processed I can just head down the dealership and pick it up since I'm just less than 3 miles away from them. I proceed the order online and later get the email back that the website price is wrong and put the order on hold until I confirm them back to pay at the 4 times higher price to get the parts. Using the same part number I got one enroute from an out of state dealership for quarter of the price no bullshit excuse.

Sorry for the long post so any help will be appreciate regarding my logic for the temporary fix.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, some quick update, plug in new sensor and shove it next to the air box , proceed to cleared the code and been driving so far so good.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
I'm planning to just disconnect the connector from the bad sensor and hook up to the new sensor and just tied up the new sensor under the engine bay at somewhere safe for the time being without mounting it to where it suppose to be yet for the time being.

The question is "is it wise to do so?"
There is some controversy regarding this mod, but it has worked well for me.

Here is my thread on the mod:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...charged-93580/

Been running fine for a few months and a thousand miles.

I did not want to R&R the supercharger at this time.
Vector

The following 2 users liked this post by Vector:
Casper (06-21-2013), meirion1 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys well i think that's a brilliant information about knocking sensors.Thanks for share information!!