XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

BC Racing coilover conversion - questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:30 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JDog
Ok, let me pick your brain. I am thinking about buying either the BC racing adjustable coil overs or the Arnott conversion coil overs for my 05 Vanden Plas. I want a soft ride period. I want to glide over bumps. That is why I am looking at the BC Racing adjustable. Which has to softest best ride without bouncing around. I am trying to get ones as close to or better than the air suspension shocks to get the soft ride. Any suggestions on which to buy?
Not many 'ere have run more than OEM plus perhaps two different brands, if-even two.

So the "brain" to pick is "many contributors", and the problem with that is who subjectively considers a ride "soft" without machine measurements that only a few of us are even equipped to perform if even we cared to do.

Read-up. Take your best shot. There is no 'unlimited magic' option. Jaguar's were meant to be "responsive" to the road and in-touch with the driver.

At their 'softest' they will not "glide over bumps" like a ignorant D1500 Ram 4X4 Hemi pickup truck can do.

If not soft enough?

Use a different road .....or drive more slowly.

Last edited by Thermite; 05-07-2024 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me explain. I had a 04 VDP with the air suspension and loved the ride but I sold the car. I wish I hadn't but. Now I am rebuilding a 05 VDP. It had the Strutmaster conversion kit already installed. Two of the shocks are bad so I need to replace them. I am trying to get somewhat of the same ride like the original air suspension ride. I know it will not be the same but something close would be fine. I guess it depends on who you ask. Arnott or BC Racing Adjustable. Just trying to determine which one is closer to the air suspension. At least I can adjust the ride height and dampening with the BC Racing Adjustable.

Last edited by JDog; 05-08-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:48 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JDog
Let me explain. I had a 04 VDP with the air suspension and loved the ride but I sold the car. I wish I hadn't but. Now I am rebuilding a 05 VDP. It had the Strutmaster conversion kit already installed. Two of the shocks are bad so I need to replace them. I am trying to get somewhat of the same ride like the original air suspension ride. I know it will not be the same but something close would be fine. I guess it depends on who you ask. Arnott or BC Racing Adjustable. Just trying to determine which one is closer to the air suspension. At least I can adjust the ride height and dampening with the BC Racing Adjustable.
I THINK you are correct.

I'm fighting a respiratory infection as has grounded my ****, or would have been reporting on Suncore grey-market "real" air struts right about now.

No they have neither ECATS modulated dampers, nor even adjustable dampers. But they were not terribly dear, and I do get to keep as-built self-leveling - more than just "nice to have" - on the long-wheelbase XJ8-L chassis.

IF *****-ey? THEN the MaxxPeeDingRods coilovers can go on.

MANY ways to skin a cat, even if the cat - not unreasonably - classes ALL of them "dead wrong!"

If nothing else, our current 'accidentally parallel' paths should bring us forward to a comparison as to what the suppliers of these goods are shipping in the present year, not what they were shipping as of several years ago.

Hopefully that adds value?

Last edited by Thermite; 05-09-2024 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm now two years in and have been asked for an update... TLDR: I still like the BC Racing set up and would recommend.

I've ended up on 8/30 front and 9/30 rear damping settings, slightly lower than stock. That's on 19" wheels, with terrible potholes on my local roads.

Cons:
  • Not an OEM set up...
  • Having to manually adjust the damping a couple of times a year for heavy loads (European trip, 4 grown men, boot full of luggage & wine). The fronts are easy (just left the bonnet), but I got bored of taking the boot trim to bits very time so bought a 35cm extenders - tucked just under the spare wheel cover, works a treat.
  • Warning lights: Pre 2006 cars should just be able to unplug the module... post 2006 might need to fit resistors or a box of tricks via arnotts, or talk to your local mapper who may be able to map/code it out?.
  • OEM is slightly better at 'wafting' along on long motorway trips
  • OEM was slightly better at absorbing noise from bumps and pot holes on 19's. 18's or with good roads shouldn't notice any difference. Those on 20's with bad roads might want go even softer on damping and/or fit slightly higher profile tyres than OEM (our speedos over read any way so it wont make much difference to that).
Pro's
  • Cost: Jaguar UK list OEM sports struts at a rather eye watering £1697 per corner...plus £1230 for a pump (though pump rebuild kits are available). BC struts were £920 for all four - plus I sold my old struts on 'as is' for £250...
  • Reliability: I removed the major source of reliability problems with our cars (plus the threat of related diagnostic challenges, labour and parts availability issues) in a single afternoon. Forever.
  • Partner gets notably less car sick. No idea why.
  • Goes over low speed/speed humps without going all wobbly like OEM.
  • Better performance when pressing on - more of an XJR-R sort of performance level. Particularly at the rear end - so much so I no longer feel the need to buy an LSD for the car.
  • Car now feels like something you could do a track day in and really, really upset people...

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brilliant! thankyou so much for your update, exactly what i was hoping for !
I've found the 20" wheels less firm than i thought i would tbh but increasing the sidewall is a great option if they fit. something to keep in mind.
thanks again, very much appreciated..

Originally Posted by SWB1
I'm now two years in and have been asked for an update... TLDR: I still like the BC Racing set up and would recommend.

I've ended up on 8/30 front and 9/30 rear damping settings, slightly lower than stock. That's on 19" wheels, with terrible potholes on my local roads.

Cons:
  • Not an OEM set up...
  • Having to manually adjust the damping a couple of times a year for heavy loads (European trip, 4 grown men, boot full of luggage & wine). The fronts are easy (just left the bonnet), but I got bored of taking the boot trim to bits very time so bought a 35cm extenders - tucked just under the spare wheel cover, works a treat.
  • Warning lights: Pre 2006 cars should just be able to unplug the module... post 2006 might need to fit resistors or a box of tricks via arnotts, or talk to your local mapper who may be able to map/code it out?.
  • OEM is slightly better at 'wafting' along on long motorway trips
  • OEM was slightly better at absorbing noise from bumps and pot holes on 19's. 18's or with good roads shouldn't notice any difference. Those on 20's with bad roads might want go even softer on damping and/or fit slightly higher profile tyres than OEM (our speedos over read any way so it wont make much difference to that).
Pro's
  • Cost: Jaguar UK list OEM sports struts at a rather eye watering £1697 per corner...plus £1230 for a pump (though pump rebuild kits are available). BC struts were £920 for all four - plus I sold my old struts on 'as is' for £250...
  • Reliability: I removed the major source of reliability problems with our cars (plus the threat of related diagnostic challenges, labour and parts availability issues) in a single afternoon. Forever.
  • Partner gets notably less car sick. No idea why.
  • Goes over low speed/speed humps without going all wobbly like OEM.
  • Better performance when pressing on - more of an XJR-R sort of performance level. Particularly at the rear end - so much so I no longer feel the need to buy an LSD for the car.
  • Car now feels like something you could do a track day in and really, really upset people...